Chapter 13: A New Beginning

I was still waiting inside this Cadillac as it was reaching 12 A.M.

I'd taken my heels off since my feet were aching from them. Barefooted, I propped them up on the dashboard of the car. On the floor, I left my bag sitting there. Waiting for a long ass time, I had nothing else to do other than to revisit and play old games on my phone again.

I was fully engaged in one of the rounds to almost not notice a distraction coming from across of the parking lot. Huh? I ended my gaming session while I checked up at the rear view mirror of the car. Blinking, continuous lights, was actually what I saw... with the stranger in lead. He was by himself; I noticed it was him from his outfit. And he was on his way here. Then, I saw that it wasn't just him, but a small crowd of people following. The crowd appeared to be producing the flashes of lights. Then it appeared clear that... were those cameras that they had?

The keys already being left in the ignition (for his convenience), I kept low, hidden more. I was scared at this point, what was that going on? I waited until the man came into the vehicle next. For some reason, doing that courteous action for me, I felt I could almost trust him. The inside of this huge vehicle seemed the safest place anymore. It felt secure from the insanity of the outside.

But then, in a brief second, I heard the driver car door swing open. I felt the flashing lights on me for barely a bit before the door shut again. The man had jumped in and felt the keys (also noticing me too hiding low like an idiot). Next, however, before either of us said anything, he started up the engine. He backed out carefully but doing so as fast as he could, and shortly after, he sped off. "Damn paps," I heard him say. Paps? He pulled back his hood to reveal his face for the first time, flat cap still on. "Hey," he said, looking at my direction.

Sitting myself back up, sighing, fastening my seat belt first. When I finally turned to face him, that was when all I could possibly do was gawk at him.

The "stranger" noticed me doing that, then made a comment. "What, you never seen a white person before?"

I was going respond to that, perhaps laugh out loud, but I couldn't. I felt frozen in place. Stupefied. I trembled, letting a few words out. "You're—Eminem," I confirmed who undoubtedly was driving this vehicle.

Eminem beamed with satisfaction.

"I—I—" I stuttered. I was probably making a bad first impression of myself, but I couldn't even talk or think straight at the moment. My cheeks and face felt hot. I felt as if I could pass out. But surely enough, all I needed to do was breath again. I felt back to normal—well, maybe not, how could you be normal with one of the "best rappers of all time" sitting right beside you? And in his car, of all places. I felt as close to as normal I could be at the moment.

"Fuck," Em began, which made my heart pound fast again. He went on. "Sorry I just took off. I didn't have my guards with me, I drove here myself, but I realized I started driving to get away from the paparazzi. I didn't mean to do that."

I finally let out a giggle. "It's okay."

"You, uh, need me to drop you off somewhere?"

I hesitated. "Oh, uh..."

"Wait, I got something better. Are you allowed out?" he asked.

I nodded my head at him, slowly. "I mean, yeah..." I smiled. "Why?" I noticed how composed he was the entire time, staying so serious, so nonchalant; but then again, that was how he was. And it was so incredibly sexy witnessing it in real life. It got a little intimidating, though.

"Are you a fan?" he asked me out of the blue next, not really answering my question.

That stopped me. I blinked, but then a brighter smile instantly came. "Huge one." I then lifted my "Slim Shady" bag off the ground, showing it to him.

His eyes nearly came out of his sockets he was surprised. Not really, he actually did his best staying composed. But he sounded impressed. "Damn... so you are. More than I even expected. That's unique."

Nodding, feeling good and confident, I went ahead and propped my feet back up on the dash, hugging my knees. I was trying hard to think of something to say to Eminem in front of me... but that's when another thing else happened that nearly caused me to cry.

"Yo, whose car do you think this is?" he almost screamed.

"I'm sorr—" I retracted my legs in a panic.

Actually, he laughed, amused. "Calm down! It's whatever, I really don't mind. Don't cry, sorry," he apologized coolly. 

I relaxed immediately afterward. Damn, really Em, messing with me when I'm in a fragile state like this?

Then, he continued with what he was going with previously. "I'll take you some place for a bit, since you're a fan and all," he offered. "I need to go check on something, too."

Trust me, I wanted to scream my lungs out, but I didn't. Go some place with Em? Absolutely. I would love that. "Sure," I said chill instead, squealing on the inside. "My night was kind of ruined anyway."

"You escape from that dude all good?" Em asked.

I nodded my head, letting out a sigh. "Yeah, thank goodness."

He looked relieved, at least. He asked me something next. "What's your name? I didn't catch it."

"It's Sal," I answered, gleaming at him. I took this time to observe him fully in front of me as he was focused on the road. He was so remarkably attractive up close. His voice, his style, everything was better in person than how I pictured it. I was practically leaning my elbow on the arm rest, laying my head in my hand staring at him. I should probably stop, but he's so magnificentthe "Rap God" in front of my eyes.

"Well, I'm Marshall. Cool to meet you, not weird or anything like this," he merely responded.

That did it. To make up from before, I cracked up entirely. Man, he was humorous, like I always thought he was. Finally knowing what to say, my thoughts gathered after all, I spoke. "Hey, Em," I began, him turning to me interested. I started. "I want to say that it's a great pleasure finally getting the chance to meet you, even if like this," I let out a chuckle. "I can't believe you came to talk to me tonight, to stop that guy from reaching me, and do something like that. You were at that club, too?" I stopped, trying to process everything that had happened. "Damn... you must have been one of the ones to perform. I missed out on the event." I suddenly felt a bit glum.

This all hit me at once as I felt like I was in a dream state before this. But no, everything before this had indeed been reality and I was here nowI even forgot that I was on a vacation, I was in Detroit, and I had a father waiting for me back at a hotel we were staying at. I had more family at home and went to school and even worked in California.

This was going to be hard to adjust to.