Chapter 46: Criminal

"So just stay on Michigan Avenue?" I questioned Marshall, who was now sitting next to me from having leapt back from the back seat of the car.

He nodded his head. "It's just five minutes away."

Surprised, I just continued driving as I followed Marshall's directions, him feeding me fries in between. I made a comment as I could tell we were close to our destination, peering out through the windshield in front of me. "Hey, I recognize this area." Marshall looked at me in fear—fear in that maybe this place he was taking me to wasn't going to be a "surprise" anymore if I'd already been here. "Isn't the Renaissance Center just a little further down from here?" I turned to him.

He gulped. "Yeah. Man, you've been on this side of town already?"

I nodded my head, but paused. "I don't think I was around this part in particular, though," I said, nothing on this side looking familiar to me.

He let out a sigh of relief. "Turn into here," he blurted.

Doing so, I came into a public parking lot which charged five dollars for all day parking; most likely the cheapest parking around or any parking around this city for that matter if you wanted to find a place to ditch your car for a while. I took the permit from the man at the booth and then parked the Hummer in the nearest open spot I found.

Before doing anything just yet, Marshall and I sat there, finishing the last of our meal together in the car. The White Castle sliders were, without doubt, the most delicious things. They were small, cute, and cooked to perfection. The fries and onion rings were great as well, and then the chocolate milkshake was heaven. Maybe I only thought so because I was hungry, but at least I enjoyed it.

Marshall and I began to clean up our trash now. I was about to hop out of the car before Marshall stopped me in the oddest way; he did so by taking off his own Kangol cap and placing it on my head, pulling it down to where my eyes were covered by the brim of it.

I lifted it back up to where I could see again, right away questioning Marshall's now fully hooded face, as he was about to go out in the public himself. "What the fuck are you doing?"

"Hey," he said unhappily, pulling it back down to where I was blind again. "No peeking. It's going to be a surprise, I told you. I'm going to lead you to it."

I groaned. "Really?" I said to the darkness in front of me. I couldn't believe this.

He responded with a "Yes," really pushing it to be this way. I just let him did as he pleased. Surprises were kind of fun, I had to admit. Finally stepping out of his car cautiously, I stood there, waiting for him to come "lead" me to the area. I felt him take the trash from my hands as he asked me to start walking, feeling his arms pushing me from behind. I did so carefully, taking easy steps.

After a bit, I heard Marshall step aside to toss our trash away at a trash can once we got to one. As he had been distracted, I made a swift move to take the cap off when Marshall noticed and immediately stopped me, hands coming to slam it back down on my head as he began to full-on scream at me. "You better leave that motherfucking hat alone, else I'll fucking pop you I swear to motherfucking God I ain't playing games with you right now!"

I could tell he wasn't being serious, of course. Right? "Okay, I'll leave it! Relax," I told him cracking up, promising not to touch it anymore.

Marshall, not fully trusting that I would stand by my word, grabbed my two hands then and restrained them, bringing them behind my back so they had been in a handcuffed position behind me. I let out an annoyed grunt, allowing Marshall to have his way with me. There wasn't any other option at this point.

After an exceptionally long time of walking and taking turns down streets, we finally reached the place. We were stopped somewhere as Marshall was exchanging a few words with a man who seemed to know him on a more personal level: it was about allowing us access in for a little bit. From the sound of it, the other man was most likely a security guard of some sort.

I, as well, heard the security guard question Marshall about me, in which Marshall replied that I was his "hostage," explaining that that was the reason he was "handcuffing" me the entire time, not letting me free. The other man only laughed it off, not taking serious action. I felt uneasy because of it.

Shortly, the man let the two of us go ahead into where ever this was, Marshall leading me up a flight of stairs, soon stepping into this mysterious building. It was an empty room from what I could sense, and huge in space. I heard the door shut behind us. The floor felt wooden under my feet, but I wasn't sure. However, this place was really spacey and empty. There wasn't a single soul in here. I immediately got the chills. "What is this, seriously?" I demanded Marshall.

My hands were still in the same position with Marshall holding them even stronger together behind me. I tried breaking it apart then but he resisted. "Come on," was all he said, pushing me forward, me staggering forward. I muttered under my breath, following his orders. We walked across the giant empty room, finally making it to the back of it. He then lead me downward another set of stairs. Wait, huh? Down?

I struggled, yet making sure to take each step carefully so I wouldn't go falling clumsily on my face. Marshall flicked the light switch on as I finally stumbled onto the grounding part of it. Once reaching a certain spot, him getting me where he wanted me to be, Marshall finally let go of my arms. I shook them out again, breathing a sigh of relief.

Without warning, Marshall had pulled the cap suddenly off of my head then, the light of the place burning my previous blinded eyes for a split second as I took the area in, blinking excessively while doing so. "Surprise," Marshall said relaxed, pulling off his own hood then placing the cap which I just wore back on his head.  I just gazed all around me in complete shock. "You didn't come here earlier on your trip, did you? That'd really ruin it if you did," Marshall said.

I didn't say a word. I only stared.