Chapter 11: Martin

It was 9:25 P.M. I was still sitting at the table by myself, taking in everything. I wanted to go to the dance floor badly, but I was nervous.

The menu in front of me caught my attention. I grabbed it and took a look at everything. Waving down a server, I told him what I wanted to get: seasoned fries and a Sprite. I didn't want too much to eat, just something small to calm my nerves.

Once my order came, I was stuffing one fry after the other in my mouth and was nearly finished gulping the entire glass of soda down. Perhaps I had been hungry.

I looked around some more when I noticed something across the room where the dance floor was. It was hard to make out since lights were flashing constantly in a darkened setting but I did happen to notice a group of guys bunched close off to the side where the stage and DJ booth was at. It was a bit far but near enough for it to catch my attention. What I noticed about it, however, was that the entire group of guys were staring right at my direction. They looked suspicious and were mostly composed of older black men, as I could tell. They were all a wide range of sizes, heights, and weights. Most of them were completely covered, wearing large jackets and hoodies, so their faces barely even showed.

I got a little anxious. I just looked away and continued eating.

Minutes later, when I wasn't looking, a white male came over and sat at my table in the chair directly across from me. I jumped once we made eye contact. This guy, though—not going to lie, but he made me cringe. He appeared to be in his young thirties. He was overweight, had the worst hairstyle, and was utterly unattractive. All I did was stare back at him until he made the effort to talk first. "What's up, girl? Why are you by yourself? Did a guy leave you? Let's get out of here, what do you say?" he winked at me.

This was not happening. "Um, no thank you. I'm fine," I told him.

"C'mon, cutie," he pushed. "What will it take for you to come with me? You want to dance?" he offered. 

I didn't know how to get out of this. I made up a lie; I had no other option. "Look. I... I have a boyfriend. He's away for right now, but he'll be on his way back shortly. If he catches you doing this, he'll flip and cause the biggest scene. I'm sure you don't want that. So I appreciate it, but sorry. It won't be able to work out." I held my breath.

He stuck one of his hands under the table for a second, reached around what it seemed to be his pocket, and pulled out a pen. He grabbed one of my napkins and jotted something down. After finishing seconds later, he leaned in. "I get it. I don't want to start up anything and get you involved." He pushed the napkin he had just scribbled on toward me. "I'm Martin. Here's my number. We can have a little fun on the side, you don't have to let your boyfriend know," he winked.

Pretending to slip Martin's number in my bag, I tossed it aside instead. I couldn't deal with this anymore; and it looks like he had no plans of leaving me be, either, until he gets what he wants. Damn, he was persistent, even with the excuse I made. I had to excuse myself. "I, uh, have to use the restroom," I said, already moving up out of my seat.

Martin grinned, his eyes glued on me.

Without anything else, I headed towards the ladies room. I needed some privacy at this point. As soon as I got there, I went to fix my makeup a bit and reapply my lipstick. I took a deep breath and wondered if I should just ditch this place early. But then again, I haven't danced and enjoyed that aspect of it yet. What an annoyance I had come across.

Instantly, from what I heard in the bathroom, one of my favorite EDM songs began playing; a little inaudible from inside the bathroom but I still heard it. The beat hooked me and I felt an adrenaline rush in a good way. My worries disappeared. I really wanted to dance.

Stepping out sneakily, glancing at the table where I just sat at, I noticed Martin was still seated there. He was looking this way. Shit. I had to be careful now to avoid anymore contact with him. I wanted absolutely nothing more to do with him.

I bolted out of the restroom in a hurry and went straight toward the dance floor making sure I wouldn't get caught by him. I made it safe. I squeezed into the near front, dancing randomly, jumping around, joining everyone else. Finally, I was relieved and in a better mood, hidden in the big crowd. I continued to dance to tracks, hits, and remixes by Avicii, Alesso, Hardwell, David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Tiësto, among a blend of many others. Perfect music for the club.

I enjoyed my time here for a little bit longer.