Chapter 60: Coming Home

Friday, October 17, 2014: Marshall's 42nd birthday

After the long plane flight from Michigan to California (which wasn't really that long, only being three and a half hours; it just felt like it to me), I finally arrived home: the place I'd grown up in all my life.

I greeted my family at the door with warm embraces. Shortly after, I made a quick stop at my old room, dropping off my small bag full of a few items that would last for the next couple days. After doing so, I met up with my family again in the living room. We sat on the couch for some time as I updated them on the news that's been going on the past few months I've been at UM.

I went on about dorm life, college life, my studies and classes, and how I've been doing in them. This talking, which I knew was going to happen, eventually led to personal things, such as how Marshall and I were doing. I told them briefly that we weren't involved in each other's lives anymore, also including the unfortunate fact that it was his birthday today. Everyone gave me their utmost sympathy, blue from hearing that. I just shrugged at them, not really caring. Except, that deep down, I knew that I did care, but I refused to believe that.

After finishing, all of us went into doing our own things. My father was working upstairs on the computer in his office, my mom was watching television, and my sister was either joining my mom or reading a book (I think eventually both, one after the other) while I was in my room, relaxing. 

I was lying in bed at first, resting my eyes, which of course had to end up turning into me dozing off again like always. I probably only napped for about an hour. I was still exhausted from the plane ride back (which, I still don't know why being on the plane makes you that way, but it does). After I woke up, I decided that I wanted to check a few things online. I pulled my laptop out of one of my bags and placed it on top of my lap. While it was starting up, I decided to get up momentarily and pop some CD's in my player. I listened to some pop and rock tracks from then on.

A thought came to me as I was making my way back to plop onto my bed. I couldn't help but think about a few select people; ones who I haven't spoke to in a while, ones I missed dearly. Just because I wasn't speaking to Marshall shouldn't mean I should stop talking to them, too; they did me no wrong. Even though it'd only been about a few weeks, I chose to follow through with my next action. I grabbed my phone and sent texts out:

"Hi Hai Hai. I miss you and your beautiful face. <3"

"Yo Alaina, how u doin gurl? I just wanted to let you know that I miss you tons."

"Hey Whit, I wanted to drop by and say how much I miss and love you!"

"Nate! I just wanted to say hey and let you know I'm thinking about you and miss you a lot."

When my laptop finally started up, I really only had time to check my email before my mom called me for dinner. After dinner, about thirty minutes later, I went to change into my pajamas to get comfortable. I then went back to what I was doing on the computer. I was puzzled when I took a moment to check my phone, seeing that no one had responded yet. Then, I remembered. Marshall's birthday. They were all probably celebrating it with him right now.

I ignored that as I went to surf the internet for a little, continuing to listen to more of my music in between. Halfway in, my sister interrupted me, asking if I wanted to bake cookies with her. I let her know I'd join as we went and did that for the next few hours. I even joined her in watching a movie after as we munched on our successful, deliciously baked chocolate chip cookies during it.

After finishing all of that merriment with my sister, I eventually returned to my room. It was about ten. I was thinking about calling it a night until I chose to check my social media sites really quick, thinking nothing from it.

Once opening my laptop and logging onto Facebook, I came across something I had no intention of doing. My heart dropped the moment the page loaded on the screen. In all the fan groups and clubs I joined in the past, it didn't stop what was all over my newsfeed: endless birthday wishes, dedication pictures, videos,  and drawings for Marshall. I even scrolled down enough to see the post he made himself about thanking everyone for the wishes he received earlier that day. Seeing this interaction between him and his countless number of fans from all around the world (including all the dedications and love he was getting everywhere from them) made me want to crumble and break.

I shut my laptop off, immediately curling into a ball as I began to cry frustratingly in misery (and slight jealously, for all I know). God damn it, I missed him. Why does this have to be so torturous for me? I was in pain. My life had always been revolved around him, and now it was like I couldn't get him to leave my thoughts no matter what. Getting over him was a near impossible task, it felt like.

For the rest of the time, I sobbed myself out. Everything internally was hurting and destroyed. The way I felt... I didn't think I could go on like this.