Chapter 12: The Encounter

I kept moving, dancing, jumping, and going at it as rhythmic beats were blasting and the bass was exploding through the speakers. 

I was fine now since most people were dancing on their own or in couples, giving me space. I really wanted to enjoy this moment by myself which was exactly what I was doing right now. Listening to the music, a little excerpt played: "The Monster" came on, carried by some extra beats. It was mainly a sped-up, dubstep remix of it. Mostly the ever-so-lovely, Barbadian singer Rihanna's chorus, but it still made me so ecstatic that I'd shrieked. I caught a few people's attention when I did that, but I didn't care.

I danced crazily to that, letting myself go. I was up where the DJ booth was so the sound was insane. After the song ended, I decided to move off to the side to take a break in order to get some fresh air and take a break before the show continued on.

All while fanning myself, the last song fading out, the audience (all including myself) was met with a surprise as the very first guest artist made his appearance, coming on stage to join the DJ. It was Xzibit. Excited, a bit of a fan of him myself (I was familiar with some of his older songs), I cheered from all the way from where I was. The light setting was mostly all dark except for the spotlight illuminating him. The crowd had already gone wild so it would be probably impossible to get back in with them to catch a great spot. I was bummed. 

I stayed, watching from afar, until I noticed the company standing beside me; the only others not part of the rowdy crowd. Except that I actually knew who they were: the suspicious gang who noticed me from before sitting by myself.

I all of a sudden turned stiff, frozen in nervous thought of how I can slowly sneak away from this without making it obvious. It seemed they were all staring; I could feel their eyes like they were resuming what they were previously doing to me before.

However, when I was least expecting it, I heard a loud "Hey," come out of nowhere from the complete opposite direction. I turned to find Martin move past people to get to me. "Why'd you leave me?" he waved, hollering as he hands were cupped around his mouth.

"Oh, shit," I accidentally muttered aloud, frozen.

I felt a hand swiftly make reach for my arm. I jumped badly as soon as it grasped me, me fixing my attention on who had just done that. I tried to get a look at their face but their head was kept down; they were trying to keep their features hidden. They wore a black flat cap and hooded black jacket over top (hood over cap), as well as black pants. They were a bit taller than me. But I knew one thing: they were part of that group. The person began to speak to me. "Yo, who the fuck is that guy?" he turned from Martin's way back to me. "He causing you trouble?"

I answered back to the dark-faced man, my heart racing. "Some creep," my eyes looked unsettled. More because of Martin, not the guy I was addressing, randomly seeming concerned for me. "I'm by myself tonight and I can't get him to leave me alone," I continued, unhappy at having to deal with him again after an unsuccessful get away; anxious though, mostly. "I need to get out of here without being caught," I spoke nervously.

Suddenly, a much larger black man from the group came up from behind the stranger I was speaking to, beginning at him. "We got to get going, now." 

I looked ahead to catch his group standing there, waiting for this man to go with them as they started ahead. It seemed like I was the one holding him up, holding up the entire group. Hesitating, not knowing what to do, the stranger in front of me pulled something out from his pockets in a huff and quick reaction. In secret, I was handed by him... car keys? "Keep hidden and stay safe, alright? Hold on to those—I'll meet you out," he leaned forward in my ear to tell me.

"Wh—" I glanced quickly at his barely visible face.

"Go!" he ordered. "It's a black Caddy Escalade—and don't tell nobody."

They took off before I could another word. They shuffled on, the man following behind the rest of his crowd. All this confusing and unnerving to me, I figured I had no other choice. The loud music and active audience around me didn't help me much either. Martin, as well, was just mere seconds away from reaching me. I sprang and dashed in an instant, on my way out.

Keys... car keys... stay hidden in a car from Martin? A very generous move but... was this a good idea?

Hurrying out, I spotted the set list displayed on the wall before I exited. As said, Xzibit was first on list. Then it appeared Mike Posner and Big Sean were to perform... then, I was shocked when I spotted Dr. Dre's name on the list. However, that was the last I saw before I'd already bolted out the club. I had no time to lounge around and read until the end of the list. I felt down that I was missing out on it. I'd been a fan of all those artists listed. But, I got myself into a sticky situation I couldn't get myself out of.

When safe and sound (at least I thought so), I roamed around the lot quickly, looking for what I heard him say: a black Caddy something or other. The best I could do was look for all the Cadillacs there.

Moments later after searching awhile, I thought I spotted something. Testing it, pulling the keys out, I went ahead and pushed the unlock button. It worked. What surprised me was that this wasn't just any car, however, but a giant SUV. The Cadillac logo was surely there. And right beside it, there it was, the word "Escalade." And, it was definitely covered with a fresh layer of black paint.

I observed the interior, noticing the leather seats were extraordinarily nice. There was a ton of room inside there as well. All while peeking inside the vehicle, I threw the thought around in my head. That's when, checking back just in case, I thought I spotted Martin from a distance away having followed me out. His actions were absolutely unbelievable. I wasn't anything out of the ordinary, why couldn't he just leave me be?

That had made up my mind. Slowly, yet cautiously, I opened the passenger door and got inside the vehicle instantly.