Chapter 62: New Year's Eve

Saturday, December 31, 2016: Two years later

Right now, I was driving over to Marshall's place.

It was New Year's Eve and everyone was planning to get together to spend the evening there; everyone which included the usual crew. Hailie, Alaina, Whitney, even Nathan and Ashley, as well as their children. Possibly a few more others, too, but I hadn't been sure. I was soon to find out.

Time flew by so fast these last couple years. It almost felt like it was just yesterday I had met Marshall for the first time and gone on that vacation to Michigan, which indeed, was life-changing.

Marshall and I have been happily together ever since without another break. Of course, there were the usual arguments every now and then, but what couples don't have those? I've never lost contact with the girls or Nathan, hence, why I would be going to celebrate New Year's with them.

We haven't been spending as much time with each other (as in the girls) as often I'd hoped we would since Hailie and Alaina have their own sets of close friends and also since Hailie herself had also begun attending college and met many other new friends after the last few years. But we were close enough that we would still refer to each other as "good friends." That included Whitney, too. But we still would all try and get together at least every other week. With Marshall, it would probably be a few times a week, when he had time off.

I'd been happy with the way things were. Family life was well as always. And everything else, including college life, work, etc., those were shaping up significantly. Slowly, as things take time and hard work of course, but they without a doubt were. I still have many years ahead of me (being only twenty-two right now), but I was definitely on the right track, I would say.

After a while, I had pulled up to the front gate of Marshall's. I finally arrived, after a long drive from Ann Arbor. They buzzed me in once they heard I was outside, and I soon pulled into the large lot. 

Once I parked my car, I stepped out, patting and fixing out the creases in my classy, elegant baby pink fitted-dress. I wore beautiful diamond dangling earrings with it and pretty black heels to go with everything. My hair style now was a pretty, long mahogany brown, with a full set of waves. Why I was dressed so fancy was because that's what we wanted our "dress code" to be for this get-together: fancy and formal. And "we" being mostly the girls who came up with this idea. Of course not Marshall or even Nate, for that matter. I was only hoping Marshall put in the effort of putting something tasteful on for this, and not his usual sweats and plain t-shirt.

I went to the back of my car and pulled out my entire share of the food and beverages I brought—a bowl of potato salad, mashed potatoes, a whole uncooked turkey, a green bean casserole dish, a homemade apple pie, and even a bottle of Martinelli's non-alcoholic sparkling cider, plus a bottle of Smirnoff vodka. I probably brought the majority of the meal for everyone tonight, now that I thought about it. But oh, well.

I struggled all the way to the doorstep, balancing the load of food items (including my purse, and not to mention, I was in heels this whole time) as I went to ring the door bell. I stood a few seconds, until the door opened up, familiar faces coming in sight. I heard my name greeted from everywhere, also the exchanging of "Happy New Year's Eve," as I took everybody in.

First was Hailie, who was wearing a white and gold sequin dress, her beautiful blonde hair in a ponytail. Then was Alaina who wore a gorgeous black lacy dress and had her hair down in waves. Next to them, who I was pleasantly glad to see, was a long-haired, brunette, tattooed beauty Ashley, who wore a gorgeous navy blue dress and red hot lipstick. Beside her stood her pretty ten-year-old daughter (from a previous relationship) I'd met many times before: Audrianna. She was like a spitting image of Ashley; she wore the cutest baby blue dress. Coming to an end, my eyes met with the guys in the back. Nate wore a nice little suit with a blue bow tie to match with Ashley and Audrianna. And last, but not least, I was extremely pleased to see Marshall dressed in a white button up with a lazy done black tie.

Before I could get words out to say things to the others, Hailie, Alaina, and Ashley helped lessen the weight in my arms. They grabbed all the items I was holding, telling me how crazy I was for bringing all this stuff (yet thanking me, too) as they all left, pouring into the kitchen. Nathan grabbed what was left in my arms, carrying the two bottles in, as Audrianna ran and followed him in. Marshall and I were left standing alone there now, still by the front door.

I was currently shaking my arms out. I let out a sigh, speaking to myself. "Whew, that was heavy." I turned my head to look over at Marshall standing next to me, as I began to take my heels off. I smiled at him, as I noticed his eyes had been on me the entire time. "Hi," I greeted simply, chuckling, as those had been the first words I'd said to him today; also, the first time in weeks.

"Hey."

I finally got both shoes off, soon walking up to Marshall. His gaze was still on me. "What?"

"You look amazing," he responded.

"Aw," I blushed. "You too," I complimented, "...if only you did your tie right." I let out a small groan as I brought my hands up and began fixing it for him.

He let out a deep sigh himself. "At least I got dressed up," he argued.

I stopped him then just to pull him in by his tie, bringing him into me. I laid the sweetest surprise kiss upon his lips, even noticing that that action had caught Marshall by surprise himself. I pulled back, smirking at him. "And I thank you for that." I did the last finishing touches, then patted it: my job well-done. "There you go, all fixed."

Marshall just looked happy from then on. He cracked a faint smile. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," I said to him as I leaned in to kiss him on the cheek. I then motioned at him to come with, smiling. "Now let's go meet up with the others."