Chapter 58: Rock Bottom

Saturday, October 11, 2014: Several months later

"I want you to know that you're important to me and I'm glad we've been close all this time. But, lately, I mean... I don't know if I can do this anymore." There was a pause, and slight hesitation, as the next words were said. "I know this is going to be hard for you to hear, but I don't think we should be together anymore."

I felt as if I got the wind knocked out of me. I nearly dropped the phone in my hand. "What are... you talking about?" I barely managed to get out.

"There's too much shit going on right now. I've been under a lot of stress, and, I don't know. I just... I think it'd be, you know. Better for us."

"I don't understand. Was it something I did?" I whimpered.

"No," Marshall denied. "It's not you at all."

"Then what is it?" I questioned, fully hurt.

"I just need time to myself."

Tears fell down my cheeks as that'd impacted me. I let myself go for a whole minute. I left Marshall listening to me on the other side of the line. I could hear he was having difficulty taking in my reaction. I began again after a bit. "We can... we can sort through this, work it out. We have in the past, haven't we?"

"It's not going to be like that, though..."

I whispered more words. "We were supposed to celebrate your birthday together next weekend."

Marshall spoke, carefully. "I didn't mean for it to be this way. I just, shit. I got a lot on my mind." I continued to weep. "I can't do this now. I got to go. I wanted to tell you in person but I needed to get this off my chest," he said quietly. "It's like I don't even have time to see you no more, either." I croaked his name, not wanting him to leave me over the line or in person. "I have to go now. I'm sorry. I know you'll be okay without me," he said, quivering a bit himself. "Just take care, alright?" he wished me, saying the last words I'd ever hear from him. "Bye, Sal."

The call disconnected.

I just flung my phone down on my bed and hugged my knees, my head falling on top. This could not be happening. It couldn't. Moments later, the door swung open. It revealed my dorm mate, Kim, who came stumbling in, holding grocery bags in her arms. Yes; Kim. But not just any one—it was the "White Castle" one. It was actually surreal how this came to be the last several months:

She was in the same position I was in: attending a community college (her being in Detroit at the time), working at a minimum wage job on the side, and living with parents. This last Fall was the time she was going to transfer to a University, too; the University being UM, exactly like me.

This all began on the first day I came into my dormitory. I was just settling in, definitely anticipating who my roommate would be, when she had finally arrived herself. As soon as she came into the dorm, we stood there in shock for a few seconds, staring. Shortly after, we both screamed, immediately tackling the other. It had to have been the funniest day of my life. I was still bewildered to this day.

She called some things out as she struggled to shut the door behind her. "Sal, I stopped by the store! I even picked up some of your favorite snacks—" Kim noticed me, looking dreadful at the moment. She let out a gasp next, dropping the bags at her feet, as she ran to join me at my side. "Oh, my god, what happened?" she asked, wrapping her arms around me immediately.

I stuttered the next words. "Marshall broke u—up with me."

Even she couldn't believe the words herself. "He did?" I nodded my head, barely. Kim let out an unsteady breath, showing sympathy. "Why? What was the reason?"

I drew in some air, keeping myself under control. "He said he needed time for himself, he's too busy, or something..."

Kim shook her head, sighing. "Was it over text? Phone call?"

"He called to tell me," I answered.

She groaned frustratingly. "Dick," she commented to herself. She caressed me more, soothing me, as she wanted to talk it out. "Did you see this coming at all? How were things going before this happened?"

I  began. "Maybe we were fighting a little more than usual but that was because he was always making up the lamest excuses. We haven't been talking a lot the past few weeks but I thought it'd just pass, you know?"

Kim rolled her eyes. "And guys think we're the complicated ones," she patted me more. She went on. "I don't know why he had to be an asshole for doing that to you. Maybe he just needed a break. How long had you guys been dating?" she asked me.

"Almost seven months."

Kim sighed. "Maybe he did need a little time off but I don't know. I don't get it," she shrugged lightly. She began again, saying comforting things to me. "Bad things shouldn't happen to good people like you. Ever. You know," she began to explain in depth. "It was you who made my day that time at work a while ago. Made my week, my entire job experience there, practically. Customers are stuck up when they come to White Castle. You made me realize that I was basically done with this. I quit my job probably, like, one week later, and focused all on school. I wasn't getting good grades at the time either, since I felt just plain sick and depressed. Stuck in a dead-end job like that, losing hope... I aced my finals, got great grades, and it was all just enough for me to be able to barely transfer to this school. Plus, I even got to meet back up again with you," she laughed. "All crazy, but it happened." She paused, then continued on, concluding what she wanted to say. "What happened between you two will probably be a temporary thing. He'll soon come to realize what a huge mistake he'd made, and how big of a jerk he was for doing that to you. Because you're an amazing person, Sal. Just one of a kind. And any guy would be the luckiest to have a girl like you in their lives."