Chapter 40: The Morning After

I woke up the very next morning to a knocking at the door.

Groaning, irritated, and sore in all the wrong places, I squinted my eyelids barely to discover Marshall was the one who disturbed me. Standing at the doorway, he was looking content. He introduced me on the very start of this brand new day. "Morning," he half sung, even him being way too bright and uplifting for me.

"Get out," I rolled over, covering myself with more sheets.

I heard him snicker. "Don't be like that. Come on."

"What time is it?" I mumbled tiredly, not really caring right now which was sort of rude of me. Sorry, I wasn't a morning person.

"Ten," I heard an answer from Marshall.

I yelled at him. "Way too early."

"What the fuck?" he exclaimed after me. "How late do you sleep in on a normal basis?"

"Noon-ish," I said, back to being half-asleep. 

Although I stopped looking at him, I could tell he was shaking his head to himself. "I made breakfast for you. It's getting cold," he urged, trying his best to get me up.

"Just let me sleep," I complained at him. I think I dozed off again because I woke back up to a more impatient "Hello?" one second after. "Okay," I waved at him, that being it. "I'll be down," I groaned, laughing to myself over that little fuss we just had.

Marshall having left my room, I eventually rolled out of bed. Picking an outfit from my bag and taking it with me, I stumbled into the closest bathroom to me. Brushing my teeth was going to be saved for later since I was going to go eat; but I went ahead to wash my face, change, and apply quick makeup.

I wore a simple white spaghetti strap, as well as denim high-waisted shorts with transparent black ripped tights underneath. I also put over Marshall's jacket since I couldn't stop obsessing over it. It was comfortable and smelt good, could you blame me? As for shoes, I had planned to have on my studded boots that I wore the previous day to finish my look. I didn't feel like dealing with my hair right now so I just left it up in a messy bun. Last, I did my eye makeup very simple yet still having the effect of catching attention. Feeling as good as I could with the way I looked, I left fifteen minutes later.

I met Marshall downstairs. When I got to the kitchen, I could not believe what I discovered. "What the hell is this?" my jaw dropped, staring at the "breakfast" Marshall laid out in front of me: cereal. I spotted him sitting at one of the chairs at the table already.

"Man, I put effort in that. You don't appreciate anything I do. You're not the first," I thought he was playing around but it sounded a little serious.

I had to break out in laughter either way. I shrugged, going to sit down. Literally, the cereal box, the gallon of milk, the bowl, and spoon was what was there. "Thanks for this," I thanked him kindly, going in to kiss him. He looked better. I helped myself and went ahead and poured a bowl. Marshall appeared already done finished eating his.

In the middle of chatting and giggling some time later in some funny conversation, we heard the doorbell ring which interrupted us. Marshall was disgruntled. "Who could that be, you serious?" he was bothered.

The front door just across, Marshall dragged his feet along, not wanting to answer. He was wearing gray sweatpants (along with his white Nike shirt), nearly caught tripping on them they had sagged so bad. Lazy ass. When the door opened, I got terrified catching who stood there. None other than Kim.

Before Kim could give him a proper greeting, Marshall was the one already talking irritated at her. "Why do you keep showing up without notice?" was his warm "Hello" to her.

Kim looked at him funny, stepping inside the household. "I always do this? I don't know what your damn problem's been the last—" What stopped her was when her eyes met with mine from the other side of the room. I immediately heated up, scared. I knew I should have made a dash for it sooner when I had the chance. Kim, looking like she could predict the answer to her own question, spoke to Marshall in a lower tone. "Can I talk to you? I need to know who's going to be watching the kids when. I've heard nothing from you."

Marshall nodding, he turned my way to give me the look that they'd be back. They took off to the neighboring room. Me sighing in some relief, I reached out for a second serving of cereal. Looking up, thinking I heard footsteps coming, I found I was correct. I saw Whitney coming down the staircase. "Hey, good morning," I said, happy to see her.

"Morning," she replied back full of glee, skipping down the steps. Eyeing breakfast laid out, she sat down and provided me with company. She explained to me the doorbell woke her and I let her know it was Kim, her mother, and she was talking with Marshall to the side. We happily engaged in small conversations of our own until Marshall and Kim looped back around the corner, finished with their discussion.

Kim spoke to Whit. "Go change and get ready, hun. We'll be leaving. I have things to take care of today."

"Alright," she nodded, putting her bowl in the sink and taking off, listening.

While she did, I heard Marshall and Kim discuss briefly "See what Hailie's plans are; she might be with friends today; Alaina, too," and so on. Along with that, Marshall followed Whitney up, as they went ahead with their plans and schedules.

However, them having done that, I was left with Kim all alone. That hit me. I wanted us to start off on the right foot, hopefully. Shaking anxiously mostly, I turned my head to look at her. While my eyes met hers, I saw she was already smiling openly at me. She started first, seeming so polite and delightful. "I feel rude not introducing myself yet. I'm Kim."

"Sal," I said kindly back, us both going to shake hands. 

Possibly noticing my uneasiness, Kim tackled that. "You don't have to worry. Marshall explained it to me." I looked to her after, awestruck. "I'm actually glad, if anything. It's weird for me seeing him act like he's been but that means he's better. It's all I've ever wanted for him."

Gulping, I spoke in response. "Oh, thank you," I shyly began. "That means everything. I admire you for thinking that for him." 

Kim nodding in approval of me, she let out an apology, which I was astonished hearing. "Sorry if I ever came in between you two at any point. Marshall never tells me anything so this was all news to me," she shrugged absently.

I laughed lightly, completely excusing her. "It's fine; thank you, again, Kim."

Her smiling back, we saw Marshall make his way downstairs. He spoke as he walked down. "Hailie has plans set with her friends which included Alaina, like I thought they told me earlier. She says they've got her own transportation. Guess Hailie's good," he explained to Kim.

Kim took that in. She was to take Whitney for now, which hearing that, made me turn blue. This was going to be the last time I see her; I leave for home tomorrow.

Whitney came down next. About to go off with Kim, I said my goodbye to Whitney. I hugged her warmly and tightly. I was going to miss this girl. We had each other's contact information so we'll be sure to keep in touch; I promised it with her. After, I said bye to Kim next, mentioning it was a pleasure meeting her—which it really was. Marshall said his loving goodbyes to the two after me, and then, they took off after.

After letting out a sad sigh, Marshall, standing beside me, turned. "Hey. So, I'm going to be taking off myself to go meet with the crew like I've been planning to."

"Oh," that made me become more down.

"You're coming with me," he assured, knocking me out.

"...that's cool?" my eyes widened, unbelievable.

"Sure, I think you're cool enough," he remarked.

I laughed, smacking him. I was relieved this wasn't going to be the end for us now, either. "Let me grab my stuff, clean myself up more, and I'll meet you out."

"Sounds good. I got to change myself. Meet in the garage?"

"Yeah," I nodded, the two of us coming to an agreement.

We both went ahead back up the stairs to get ourselves ready, all excited yet heartbroken too. All with going to spend my very last day with Marshall here in Detroit; Michigan.