Chapter 30: Such Feelings

The next few days and a half were fairly enjoyable.

I met up with my dad again as soon as I left Marshall that day. After discussing it shortly, both my father and I decided to spend the rest of the day sightseeing. One of the things we've been meaning to do first was see Belle Isle, and that's exactly what we did.

Once we got there, I took my father straight to the park to the exact spotting I saw Nate at. It instantly brought back happy memories. Together, my dad and I also went to the aquarium at Belle Isle Park to take a look at everything. I enjoyed it a lot. I was quite a fan of all things marine-based, so seeing the habitats filled with fish, sea creatures, and learning about the ocean and the life in it fascinated me to no end.

After Belle Isle, we stopped by a post office, which we had intended to take do for a while. I scribbled my home address and a short note on the postcard I was going to send to Elle—the one with "Slim Shady" autographed on it. When it would be time to leave Michigan, going home and seeing the postcard again there, it would make me extremely joyful; yet sad, and nostalgic of the time I spent here. Just thinking about leaving Michigan made my heart ache.

In between visiting these areas, I constantly texted either Hailie, Marshall, and Nate on the side. This act of being on my phone nonstop began to bother my dad a lot, so I tried to keep texting to a minimum. Nevertheless, at the end of that Wednesday night, my father and I enjoyed a fine dinner together. It was pleasurable.

My dad was free the next day, too, so I also devoted the entire day to him. On that Thursday, we decided to go over my dad's professor's house. It was the man my father came to Michigan just to see; the one my dad was visiting the entire time at UM, plus the one who was able to upgrade the hotel and get the extra plane ticket for us. I figured it would be rude not to visit and show my appreciation to him for doing that. I probably wouldn't be here in the first place if it weren't for him.

The professor lived in a moderately swanky home. He must have made a lot of money. When I met him, he turned out to be one of those jolly, clever, good-humored old guys. He appeared to be in his sixties, had white hair and wore glasses. He was wearing a suit, which looked liked something he did all the time—also, he was very old-fashioned. He was kind, nonetheless. I was happy I got the chance to meet him. He seemed to really like me as well.

We spent a good half of the day on Thursday just socializing, having lunch, and spending time with him. I hated to say this but at some parts, I was absolutely bored out of my mind. At least I did have my phone with me.

"Hailie, I'm so bored. I'm spending time at my dad's professor's place."

"Aww...that does sound boring lol. Hey but we should plan something for later! What are you doing tomorrow?"

"I might be with my dad again. Maybe just half the day. Are you free?"

"I was thinking you should come sleep over our place! From Fri to Sat. See if you can. You're leaving Sun right?"

"Omg, that would be fun! I'll ask my dad about it later. Yeah, I'm leaving Sun...I'll miss you Hai Hai. <3"

"I'll miss you too girly. <3"

I sent a few more texts out.

"Hi, Marshie."

"Hey, how are you?"

"I'm okay, just bored...wishing I was with you instead."

"Sorry 'bout that. Hailie's been talking about you coming over the weekend. Hope you can. Whitney misses you."

"Aw! Yeah, I gotta speak to my dad about it. I miss you guys."

"Sounds good. I have to get back to work. I'll talk to you later baby."

After some time, we finally had left the professor's place. I was slightly relieved.

We spent the rest of the evening seeing shops in Detroit. I showed my father the RenCen I had gone to. He loved it, and I enjoyed it just as much the second time. We also walked around a little bit and saw other places located near downtown Detroit. We also joined in on a little tour group to show us around—"Show Me Detroit" was what it was called. It lasted about two hours. We ate out at a fast food restaurant after and had gone back to the hotel somewhat early. We wanted to relax for a little.

When we were sitting around, me and my father watching television, I asked him something. "Dad, what are the plans for tomorrow?"

Scratching his chin, he answered me. "I saw in brochures some museums that would be fun for us to visit. There's the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Detroit Historical Museum, and the Michigan Science Center. Maybe we can check out a few for tomorrow," he suggested.

"Oh, that sounds interesting," I said, but took a deep breath. "However, um, you remember how I had my friends? Well, one of them, Hailie, asked if I could sleep over her place. We could definitely see those museums in the morning but do you think I can go over her place after? I won't get to see her after I leave. I'd love to spend the last remaining days with her as well as the rest of my friends I've met here."

My father looked over at me, noticing my down tone of voice. I could tell he was feeling a little sympathetic. He was but a little hesitant. "I get it. But this isn't some complete stranger's place you're wanting to spend the night over, is it?"

"No," I shook my head hard. "I know her really well. I feel so close to her; she's just the sweetest person. You know what? I can call her right now; have you speak to her on the phone, if you'd like," I reached over to grab my cell phone.

My dad shrugged, just nodding his head. I dialed up Hailie's number and heard a few rings. Then, a few seconds later, I heard an answer. I put the phone on speaker.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Hailie, it's me," I greeted cheerfully.

"Hi, Sal," she started. "Did you ask your dad about tomorrow?" she asked.

I smiled at my father then, him giving one back as if he understood I was comfortable with this person all along and was definitely confirming the plans with her tomorrow. I responded back to her. "Actually, I wanted to call you up because my dad over here was unsure and wants to get a word with you," I said, rolling my eyes. I tossed my phone at him after. 

He picked it up, holding the phone up to him. "Uh, hello?" he asked awkwardly.

"Oh, I—oh, hello?" Hailie said. "Is this Sal's father?"

"This is," he confirmed.

"Hi, it's, um, nice to meet you, I guess," she laughed. "I was wondering if it would be okay for Sal to spend Friday night over. She's the best. I would be so happy if she could." 

"Alright," my father chuckled. "It's a pleasure to meet you, too. That would be fine. I just wanted to make sure. You girls have fun."

I squealed in excitement, grabbing the phone from my dad. "Hai, I can come! Thank you so much, Dad," I thanked over. Hailie showed the same amount of enthusiasm on the other side of the line. My dad chuckled at us the whole time. I told Hailie how funny it was how she met my father after me meeting hers; I also told her to tell everyone else the good news.

I got off the phone with her after. My dad, for that night, lastly brought something up. "Sal, how did you meet her? How did you two become so good friends in such little time?"

I paused, speaking timidly. "Dad, can I tell you something?"

He eyed me strangely but nodded very warmly. "Of course you can."

"There's something I've been meaning to share," I started, wanting to confess this. "Hailie's..."

"What is it?" he said, raising his brow now.

"...Hailie's father is Eminem," I said it to him. "I met him that night at the club."