Chapter 70: Forever (Final)

Hours later, we were both sleeping in bed.

Marshall was fast asleep, at least. He was exhausted and spent; therefore, he had passed out next to me in bed. He was heard snoring endlessly. Then, there was me. I couldn't go to sleep that night, or right away. I kept tossing and turning. Ongoing thoughts were what kept me awake.

I couldn't help but think back to this journey on the very first day; all that led up to this one night. Ever since that vacation, of course. Ever since I first stepped foot in Michigan. All this crazy, which indeed happened. These last three years. Who would have ever seen this coming for the both of us? And for Marshall and I to be engaged to one another, maybe soon to be starting a family. It sent chills down my spine. But it made me the happiest in the world.

That one dream in particularly in the very beginning actually stuck out to me. Which is weird, because mostly all dreams always fade away within the first ten minutes of being awake. But fragments of it were still remembered—when I happened to be going to class. (Which now, could represent the classes I attend at the University of Michigan.) And then I hung out with Slim Shady, Dr. Dre, and the rest of the crew. (The crew which I knew now, was very much representing D12.) It was very cute, but surreal. And it was all the beginning—the beginning of this journey that began for me. Because, if I remembered correctly, that very same night was the time I received the news from my father about going on the trip, which was an odd coincidence.

Perhaps though, what I've learned from all of this, is that maybe good things eventually do happen to good people. Maybe eventually, with the set amount of time, it does. It was just waiting for me. Destiny, fate, karma. Maybe one of those, or maybe all of those.

I can say, especially after this night, that this had definitely come to be. Everything; that it had been truly meant to be.

I smiled so warmly to myself, as I finally turned to face Marshall's sleeping face. I raised my hand, poking him gently in the cheek, whispering to him. "Psst... Marshie?"

He shuffled around, responding to me, barely conscious. "Huh?"

I smiled happily at him. "I love you."

Marshall went to lift his arm up then, making an attempt to pat me kindly on the head. Instead, he ended up more slapping me in the face, my hair going everywhere. I laughed quietly to myself. He then opened one eye, taking me into his arms, as he held me and keep me rested against him. I finally heard him respond back to me, barely mumbling the words. But it was the words I would die to hear; the sweetest little words that meant everything to me. And he did so while holding me tightly to him, me holding him tightly in return as well. "I love you, too."

I smiled, nuzzling my head down on his chest. I responded back to him, because I felt the need to. I meant the next words truly, too; indefinitely, until the end of time. "Forever and always."

Marshall moved to pull me away from him, just enough so that he was able to kiss me blindly on the lips. I saw that he was squinting at me already, however, yet looking peaceful and content. He pulled me back into his arms, just to confirm to me the same words; same words that he felt more than certain himself, as well. Words that echoed in my head for the rest of the night, and endless more nights after that.

"Forever and always, baby."

***

The End