Chapter 67: The New Year

About one hour later, after socializing, even watching a movie together, it was ten minutes until countdown; countdown to the new year, 2017.

With the current situation, all of us were back in the living room. We were flipped to the channel to see the Times Square Ball drop for New Year's, a popular tradition which was showed on TV annually across the country. We watched as the special guests, celebrities, etc. made appearances and did performances.

I was sitting close to Marshall still, his arm around me, as I continued to rest on him. Alaina and Hailie sat on the couch opposite, Audrianna and Whitney with them too. Liam was mostly walking around everywhere, being a cutie. And Nathan and Ashley were on opposite sides of the room. They weren't talking, even aware of each other's presence at the moment. I wasn't talking to Nate, or was he talking to either of us two; but Ashley would still come over and speak to me normal every now and then.

A brief moment later, it was almost time. It was only minutes now until the countdown. We were all wearing party gear: All glasses, hats, necklaces, and other accessories which said "2017" on them; almost everyone had a party horn in their mouths as well, ready to be blown loud. You could feel the excitement in the room already.

Soon after, we had only minutes to go. It went from sixty seconds to forty, to twenty, and so on. Finally, we found ourselves counting down the last ten altogether out loud. We began, voices intensifying with every passing digit. "Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one!" Horns were suddenly blown everywhere, shouts and hollers heard from all around. "Happy New Year!"

After I was finished blowing the heck out of my poor party horn, I leaned up to Marshall, us soon partaking in the kissing tradition. We pulled apart finally when I noticed Ashley on her way to Nate. Everyone in the room just gazed at them with dying interest and worry. It turned just dead silent except for the television going on in the background.

Once Ashley reached him, she stood there a few seconds, glaring. Nate looked back at her, a pained expression stuck permanently on his face, it seemed. She then grabbed his face, surprising him, and pulled him in, giving him the most loving, forgiving kiss ever. Nate took hold of her and kissed her sweetly in return, them having made up. The rest of the room cried words of joy to the lovely couple. When Ashley had retracted from Nate, she made a few comments to him, poking his nose. "You're still a dumb ass. But you're my dumb ass," she claimed, leaning in for another kiss. 

After all of this was over, everyone was getting up and packing, ready to leave and get going for the night. They all had a busy day ahead of them tomorrow, things to do and such. And it was past midnight.

Nate and Ashley were the first to head out. Ashley held precious sleeping Liam in her arms while Audri was there, yawning every minute it was like. We were taking turns exchanging goodbyes when it finally reached me and Nate. Things were still awkward between us.

Nate made the first move himself. He was definitely sobered up by now. He held his hand out in front of me, as to offer it for me to shake. He began to speak, yet still a little hesitantly. He smirked small, however, before he spoke. "No hard feelings?"

I rejected his extended arm, swatting it away, as I drew him into a warm hug instead. This bond we shared is what I missed more. I felt Nate hug me warmly in return. And everyone was seen smiling in approval at the two of us. After retracting from our hug, I spoke to him softly. I smiled huge, yet reassuringly. "No hard feelings."

Shortly after (with Nate whispering a few things to Marshall before parting), they left us. It was our turn to say goodbye to Hailie, Alaina, and Whitney next.

"Bye, guys, I had fun," I said, hugging each one individually. I turned to Hailie and Alaina in particular now. "I don't know about the drinking part, if I'll do that again, but it was an experience," I laughed. "Thanks for sharing it with me."

Alaina laughed. "You're a cute drunk, Sal. You were tons of fun to be around. Kind of. Kidding!"

Hailie spoke next. "You were fun. We have to go out to clubs and do that sometime, just us. Okay?"

I laughed, eventually sighing, and agreeing so. "Okay."

They continued to say how much they enjoyed today and what a good time they shared with me, Whitney chiming in, too. I wished them well as they were on their way out, adding in remarks. "See you guys soon! We're getting together next weekend, right?"

"Yeah," they called out in unison, them almost at Alaina's car parked in the driveway.

"Drive safe!" I shouted at Alaina.

"Thanks!" Alaina shouted, waving at me.

It was just Marshall and I standing there by ourselves, still by the door. Everyone left us; we were alone. I poked him, as I let out a yawn. "I wasn't planning on going back to my place for the night so it looks like I just invited myself over here. I hope you don't mind."

Marshall smirked. "Nope. That's perfect. I was going to make you stay anyway whether you were going to or not."

I laughed at him as I dragged him along, nearly fumbling over the first couple of steps, to get him to the bedroom. "Let's go before I pass out before I get there. I'm still out of it. I think I still have some alcohol in me," I added a chuckle.

"Alright, alright," he was saying, following behind me. "But there's something I have to do first before you crash. I need you to try and stay as awake as you can."

"Let's just see if I'll make it," I grinned tiredly at him.

"It's something you wouldn't want to miss out on. I'm just saying," he urged me strongly, pushing that point last. 

I just stared back at him funny, a little anxious what in the world he was talking about. But then, I would soon have to find out. If, that is, I could stay any more attentive than I am now.

We made our way up the stairs, soon fumbling into Marshall's bedroom again.