Chapter 53: Groundhog Day

I heard my phone let off a vibrating sound beside my head. It had woken me up from my slumber right then.

I blinked open my eyes, adjusting it my surroundings. I was in my room, in bed. It was partially lit, it appeared—the sun either just going down or coming up, I had absolutely no idea. What time was it? What day? What year, even?

I sat up, then went to make a grab for my phone right away to find out the answer as everything was still fuzzy to me. I let out a sigh of relief when I took note of the date and time: "Sunday, March 30th, 2014. 7:01 P.M.

It had been the exact same day we came back from Detroit; I only just woke up from taking my nap. The stupid disorientation. I went on to look through my phone on what that disturbance was about earlier. I'd received a new message. I opened it, reading it over, a huge, cheeky smile immediately forming on my face.

"Hi, baby. I was just thinking about you. Hope you had a safe flight back. Can't wait to see you again down there. Don't miss me too much. If you do, just remember these wise words: I'm a monster with my dick in your mouth all day!"

I literally went into the hugest laughing fit for the next ten minutes after reading that. My sides hurt so much I was crying. What in the absolute heck? Cute, but what? Marshall was probably bored was what I assumed had been the case. I believed that line he quoted was from a part of his "Groundhog Day" song, too. I was so happy to hear from him, yet so confused at the same time. It didn't matter. I chose to reply to him later—more likely give him a call, since I would love to hear his voice again.

With my phone still in my hand, I noticed the voicemail icon at the top of my cellphone screen which had been there for the last week. The ones left by mother... Since I was more annoyed by wanting the little dumb icon to go away, I decided to dial up my voicemail, holding down the number "1" as it had already been set up to speed dial.

Since there were multiple messages left as I heard the automated lady talk, I decided to just listen to the first one I'd gotten. Waiting a moment later, it began to play. My mother's voice started speaking.

"Hi, Sal, this is Mom. I've been trying to reach you for a while now. I have something I want to tell you. It's about your idol, and it's not about anything bad about him, I assure you. But you see, well, something happened. Earlier today, I went to go check up on Elle when I overheard something: a song, which brought me to tears. I walked in and asked her who sang that and she responded, saying it was by him. And I couldn't believe it. It was beautiful. She went on to talk about him, all the good things, and even showed me more songs done by him, quite the same style as that. And it made think how different this guy really is. I see now why you look up to him. Because of that song, it's inspired me to want to change. The way he sings about his daughters really opened my eyes; the two girls of his he sang about reminded me about you and your sister. I haven't been the best mother to both of you all these years, and I realize that. It's been so difficult for me to have to work strenuously from morning to night, five days a week. I come home and I always let my anger out on everyone which I'm ashamed of. I've been a selfish person and I'm absolutely sorry about everything. I want to start fresh with you and I hope you can give me this one chance to prove myself worthy, and forgive me. But for now, all I want is for you to enjoy the rest of your time in Michigan. I hope you get this message. I'll see you when you get back... I'll talk to you later. Bye honey, I love you." 

I slowly lifted the phone away from my ear, pressing the "End Call" button, letting the phone drop in my bed. I was left open-mouthed, understanding what she tried to tell me earlier about what she had to say. I sat there quiet, thinking about everything. All this time with my mother, the trouble and stress she had been, the pain and agony she caused; and out of everything, it was Marshall, Eminem, who just now changed her outlook on things all along.