Chapter 18: Dad's Conversation

I hurried back to my hotel room, getting there as soon as possible so my dad wouldn't have to worry over me any longer than he needed to.

As soon as I reached the door, I dug around my purse to get the room key out, noticing my long sleeves in the way. I still had Marshall's jacket on—I'd forgotten to give it back. That, however, wasn't my biggest concern: I couldn't have my father see that I'm wearing a "men's" jacket. I quickly unzipped the hoodie and bunched it together, holding it in my arms as I went ahead and opened the door. I saw the room lamp on as I made my way in, noticing my dad looking back at me with his reading glasses on. "Hi," I said quietly, setting my stuff on top of my bed.

"Hey," he calmly responded.

I breathed a sigh of relief. He wasn't mad at my late arrival.

"How was your night?" my dad asked.

My night? Oh, right, my entire time at the "club" tonight. "Pretty good," I answered, still honest. "The club had good food and the music was really great. The atmosphere was wonderful, too. I danced some and had fun. But then there was this one guy who was really trying to make moves on me but luckily, I escaped him," I smiled, actually thinking back at how silly that really was.

"Oh, really?" my dad said. "Be careful about that. But I'm glad to hear that," he smiled, his head then going back down to look over his papers.

"Yeah," I agreed. "So, you're still up?" I asked him.

He nodded his head. "Oh, which reminds me, I have some bad news," he brought up.

I was in the middle of taking my shoes off when I heard that. "Bad news?" I asked with concern.

He started. "You know how the next few days we were supposed to spend it together? Tomorrow, Thursday, possibly Friday? Well, it turns out the guys want me to meet up with them a few more times before I leave. I did tell them that it was supposed to be a personal vacation between me and my daughter after this, but then again, going to see them once or twice more could help land me even higher in my business. So, I'm sorry, honey. I know we were supposed to do something together tomorrow, but I'll be gone half the day. We can always grab dinner. Thursday I should be free, but we'll see how it goes for the weekend."

I was surprised. "Dad, it's really okay. You don't need to apologize. You know how I told you I made a friend, err, well a few, the time I've spent here? I might go hang out with them. Or, I can always go cruise around and find more places in Detroit I can take you to later. You do your business, I understand how important it is," I offered him a warm smile.

"Thank you, sweetie," he appeared glad. "I'll have to leave tomorrow at around eight. I should be back at around two. I'll be spending a little more time with them, but not a whole lot."

"That's fine," I told him. That then made me remember—I really hoped I could get in touch with Nate before then so my surprise would follow through. Maybe even see the two tomorrow? I'll have to find out myself. However, after what happened tonight, I felt like discussing a certain topic with my dad. It had been on my mind for a while now... even actually before it occurred. "Dad?"

"Yeah?" he returned.

"Can I talk to you about something?" I slumped onto the bed, making myself somewhat comfortable.

"Sure, what is it? You can tell me anything."

I told him, hesitantly. "What do you think about me seeing a guy? I don't have a boyfriend now or anything, of course, so don't jump to conclusions," I chuckled, "but I'm just asking hypothetically. How would you feel about that?"

"Sal," he set his papers down and looked over at me. "You don't need to ask me that. You're close to twenty now, you're free to see or date men if you want to. You're an adult. I don't know why you're scared on bringing that up."

"Oh. I didn't know. I never really talked to you about it before, I just wasn't sure," I let a few laughs out.

"Sure you are. I thought you already might have been going out with plenty behind my back all these years, to be honest with you," he said.

"No way, that's crazy," I laughed loudly. Never me. "Hey, but, um—how about age?"

My dad looked back at me, cleaning up his papers. "What do you mean?"

"I mean... what if he's older?"

My dad laughed. "As long as he's younger than me," he said, half jokingly.

My eyes widened. My dad's currently fifty, Marshall forty-one. "Seriously? Any age younger than you?"

"Sure. It is your choice." He said nothing more.

I pursued, giggling to myself. I was being ridiculous, I know. "What if the guy was in his thirties or possibly even young forties? Would you still approve of that?"

"As long as you love him," he told me.

A giant smile came across my face. "Really, Dad? Aw."

He chuckled. "You'll fall in love with who you fall in love with, right? Now, I need to get some sleep. I'm waking up in six hours."

"Okay, sorry... but, yeah, I completely agree. Thank you," I said lastly, getting up to gather my pajamas and head over to the bathroom to shower.

I was so cheerful after hearing that from him. I didn't even know that he would approve of something like that, but then again, I didn't bring things like this up to know before. I guess I just had to learn how to be more comfortable about it with him. But, oh, no... was I really thinking I was falling for Marshall in that way?

As soon as I finished washing myself, I made my way to bed, remaining as quiet as possible so I wouldn't disturb my father.