Chapter 9: R.I.P. Big Proof

After getting ready, I waited at a bus stop by the hotel, constantly going over the excerpt of the note I had in my phone for the day.

"Tues: Visit outlets/malls in Detroit. Sightsee more. Visit Proof's grave, Woodlawn Cemetery. Nightclub? Special live appearances by artists TBA. Must go, don't miss out."

I planned how the following day would go: it was now 11 A.M. Firstly, I would spend the majority of the day browsing around shopping centers. Shopping would take place from by the time I got there to around four o'clock. Then, I would grab something to eat. At five, I would go to the cemetery and find Proof's grave. Leave him flowers, say hi. After that, I'd go back to the hotel, get ready, and arrive at the club around seven or eight. Then, come home sometime around midnight. Sounded like a plan.

The bus came and I went on, riding it for about fifty minutes or so until I got to Detroit. I looked down at my phone every now and then, thinking about if Nate would ever reach out to me, even shoot a simple text. I really hoped he would. I would be sad if I never heard from him again.

I sighed briefly, placing my phone back in my pocket as I came upon the first place: the GM Renaissance Center. Although the RenCen was more of just a bunch of connected skyscrapers, it was very famous. It contained retail shops in it as well as offices, a hotel, restaurants, a club, even a movie theater. This place had to be grand—and it absolutely was. This place literally took my breath away once I stepped foot in it. It was huge, spectacular, and so much more words couldn't describe it. There were so many areas to this place, so many "towers."

The Wintergarden (which was sort of the shopping portion of the place) was very lovely. It didn't have as many clothing stores as I had anticipated but it had something. Also, it included a glorious view of everything. I was surprised to find a CVS in it as well. I didn't do much shopping since it mainly had a few of the finer, high-class Detroit-based shopping departments, but it was still great to visit.

Once finishing spending quite some time there, I headed on over down the street to Trappers Alley Shopping Center. When I first walked in, I thought I had entered a furniture store. But it had a little bit of everything: from all sorts of antique furniture items to women's jewelry to shoes to so much other apparel. I saw some jewelry for sale and I noticed they had some of the prettiest diamond necklaces and hoop earrings I have ever seen. For cheap, too. I couldn't resist purchasing it.

I wandered the street a little longer until I bumped into a couple gift shops. I came across tons of shirts, jackets (all clothing items practically), hats, buttons, magnets, cups, postcards, keychains, and more, all saying "Detroit," "I heart Detroit," "The D," "313," or even just simply "D." After spending a good half an hour there, I finally decided to buy a gray crewneck sweater with the words "Detroit VS. Everybody" on it, a black beanie with the Detroit "D" symbol on it (the Detroit Tigers logo), and five postcards with a beautiful picture of the city skyline on it.

I remembered that one of these postcards would be what I'd send back to my sister, also reminding me that I should give her a call back soon to give her updates on what's happened. Possibly with Mom, too.

I spent some more time at more centers nearby such as the Shops At Kresge Building, the City Loft, and the New Center Place Shopping Center after that. These all weren't only shopping places but a lot of old districts and buildings from way back in Detroit history. It was captivating. I ended up purchasing some more clothes among other things and was carrying quite a few bags. But I was content with what I had gotten.

Unaware of the time, I checked my phone briefly, seeing that it was reaching 4:30 P.M. I was far too busy enjoying myself to realize I'd been hungry again. I was lucky enough to find a Subway close by. I made my stop there a quick one while I continued to walk down the road to the nearest bus station I could find.

A place caught my attention on the way down: Brazelton's Florist. I walked in, finding a single beautiful red rose that I adored. I bought it with no hesitation. I walked out, continuing along my way, reaching the bus stop shortly. Next stop, Woodlawn Cemetery. Waiting for the bus for quite some time, I got dropped off at the cemetery within thirty minutes. I found myself standing in front of the gates, looking up at the big sign which read the cemetery's name indeed.

I entered, noticing a few people here and there visiting their loved ones they have lost. Feeling down, the vibe of a cemetery getting to me, I began my hunt. I searched from tombstone to tombstone, reading the names, dates, and clever sayings on them. 

I kept going and going until I stumbled right upon it, finally. I felt my heart sink as I peered down at the stone. "DeShaun Dupree Holton AKA Proof '1973-2006.'"

I dropped all my shopping bags to the side of me and fell down to my knees. I saw many old dried-out flowers laying around it. Holding onto my red rose, I gently brought it forward and rested it beside the stone. I was in complete silence for the first five minutes as I chose to sit down and make myself comfortable by it, mostly contemplating, lost in my thoughts.

It was getting closer to sunset, reaching six. I had to get going soon to be able to make it to the club before the big event started. I noticed the sky was beginning to turn a very beautiful pink, orange, golden color, as it was full of puffy, magnificent looking clouds. Heaven. I was sure Proof was up there now. 

I looked from his grave up to the breathtaking sky and back. I began to speak, as if talking to him.

"Hey, Proof. I know you don't know me but I'm a huge fan of yours and Em's. It was so sad to see you go. Everyone was so strongly affected by it; there were lots of tears shed by your loved ones. Coming to Detroit, I thought that this had to be one of the mandatory things I do—coming to visit you. I would pay Eminem's Uncle Ronnie a visit but I couldn't find exactly at which cemetery and location his stone's at, sadly."

I took a deep breath.

"Nonetheless, I want to thank you for being there for Em when he needed someone most, during Ronnie's passing. Being there for Em all throughout his childhood, helping him through everything... I'm sure he did the same with you. It must have been so hard going through the challenges you two faced with school, family life, and so on. Again, it's so funny I don't even actually know you guys,"

I started laughing, tears welling up in my eyes, as I felt a lump form in the back of my throat.

"But you two have really changed me. Thank you for providing me with such happiness in my worst times. Just, the misery from the loneliness I go through makes it hard for me to go on. I just hope to find someone who can be there for me like you were for Em,"

I began wiping the tears off my face.

"You should have really heard the song 'You're Never Over' by him. It's actually one of my favorites. You should be proud of him. I'm sure you are, too. Thank you Big ProofDoody. I'm sorry, but I have to run now," 

I was finishing, looking up at the sky now.

"But I really wish the best for Em now, wherever he is, whatever he's doing. I know he and I would never cross paths and this is about the closest I'll get, but I hope he lives the rest of his life to the best he can make it. Earn the respect of others, maybe find love again, I don't know,"

I said through my watery eyes, playing around.

"However, I really wish it can happen to me. But, I don't want to be selfish now; I'm not here for me, or Em. I'm the biggest fan of yours. Just me and you right now. You were legendary, talented, funny, sweet, definitely one-of-a-kind. And I miss that a lot. Thank you, Proof, for making the world a better place the time you were here. Thank you for being Em's guardian angel this whole time, Proof. This rose I got is for you. I will love and miss you always."

With sniffles and one last look at his stone, I headed off, deciding to get a taxi as that would be faster. I was on my way back to the hotel to get myself ready to go to the club. After that emotional happening, I thought it'd be best to let loose and try to have fun tonight. "Go berzerk, all night long."  I smiled, looking forward to what events were to occur tonight.

First time actually clubbing; I had butterflies just thinking about it.