Chapter 36: Relapse

Hailie and I were back, continuing on with Mean Girls while munching on our unsuccessful, partially burnt popcorn.

I was so focused on the hilarious comedy, Hailie as well, that I wasn't expecting too much of anything other than what was coming from the screen. In the middle of one our favorite scenes we couldn't stop shutting up in, Hailie's door out of nowhere flew open. We assumed it would be Alaina, naturally, but what startled us was that it happened to really be Marshall; he didn't appear to be very pleased.

He kept himself as collected as he could. "I don't want to keep reminding you two. Keep it down, will you? It's one in the morning. I got a last bit of work I'm trying finish up. You girls are being too god damn noisy," he cursed. "This is the last warning I'm giving you." Without another word, he shut the door behind him roughly, but not as hard as to slam it. 

Hailie had already put the movie on pause. We sat there, silent, frowning. Hailie was the one to speak to me, slowly, after that moment. "Sal, maybe you should go see him. I think having someone to talk to would help ease him up."

"I was thinking the same," I agreed with Hailie, going to stand up. 

"You go take your time, I'll give you two privacy. I'll be with Alaina waiting for you," Hailie assured. 

I nodded, smiling small. I stepped quietly out of Hailie's room, leaving her. Walking quietly, I came across Marshall's room. I gave the door a light knock before stepping in with ease. I noticed him seated at the desk. He turned to me once hearing the knock. "What?" he said bothered.

I closed the door behind me. "I apologize for disturbing. The girls and I were just trying to enjoy ourselves tonight. Hailie and I didn't mean to do that. We're sorry."

He sighed heavily. "I get that, and I appreciate that. But what I don't happen to appreciate is the fact that you're in my house stopping me from getting my work done. I reminded you once and I hate if I got to go out of my way to do it again."

I apologized more but he sounded like he didn't really care; something else was weighing heavier on his mind instead that he needed to get out.

"Hey, and I discovered something. I meant to bring it up," he started in a fake, eager tone. "What's that shit I hear about you popping pills in the bathroom? I went in the bathroom to check and I see a bottle of pills on the counter! Fucking had to flush that shit down the drain. Did you really want to remind me and take me back to that dark place again?" he said upset.

I felt like the wind got knocked out of me. "You have no idea... it's so different," I kept down, unable to bring myself to say the reason anymore. "Did you even check what kind they were?"

"Pills are fucking pills! Does it fucking matter right now? Are you going to OD on them next? What got you doing this shit all of a fucking sudden?" his anger was definite.

"No," I kept on repeating, "Marshall, you don't understand..."

"I guess I don't. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this fucking conversation right now. I guess it really takes one to understand when they've literally been to Hell and back. Man, have I had it with you."

What was that?

"It feels like all you're doing is invading my space and privacy, all inviting yourself over here. I don't even know anymore but it's starting to get on my nerves," he went on.

"I thought you didn't mind me over. I thought this was what you wanted? What do I mean to you?" I began to speak up for myself. "Well," I changed, "in all honesty, it feels like all you've been doing is using me this whole time for your personal pleasure. So what if I'm a lot younger? I deserve the same respect any other woman does. I'm a fucking adult for crying out loud," I made clear to him.

He glared at me. "Using you? Going so far as to fucking show and give you everything these last few days? Are you kidding me? What, do you think I do this shit on the regular?"

I shook my head. "I thought you were different. You're not how I ever pictured you," I told him flatly.

"How did you think I was then?" he raised his voice. "What do you really know about me? I'd like to know. Because, truth of the matter is, you don't know shit. You don't know me personally. What I sing and rap about ain't even my full motherfucking story," he revealed to me.

"Apparently not," I muttered.

Wrong move, because that last comment fired him off. "Do you really want to know the truth, fucking Stan? Huh? Why I'm stressed and maybe fucking, I don't know, unlike me? It's because I'm retiring, alright? I got nothing else to rap about, it's all the same old shit. I ain't even happy with how the MMLP2 turned out. I'm calling it quits, and with you, it's really not helping my situation any."

Something hurt me deeply with what he revealed. It didn't leave a lasting sting on my heart but more in the core of my inner fan. Marshall retiring?

"I'm not going to keep singing about Hailie, she's an adult and soon to be off to college. Same with Kim, or my mother. I'm off drugs. I'm past addiction and all that bullshit. Maybe to you, right now, it feels like it's there's just me, you, the girls, and my inner family. That's not the reality; I got millions of other fans out there I'm doing hard to please."

I felt sorry now, a pain in me only growing. I began to weep.

With that, fumed, he only added to the ache. "Want to know what else? Thinking about it, I never even liked you. You asked me and that's my answer. Happy? You ain't nothing more than a pretty face to me. I really should've just let that asshole have his way with you—then I wouldn't be stuck with this fucking unneeded problem right now. Oh, perfect, just another to add to the rest of them," he said with sarcastic anger, pinching the bridge of his nose. He glared at me after making eye contact one final time. "I want you to leave and get out of here, now. I'm done with this. Motherfucking done."

I breathed with difficulty, tears continually streaming down my face. From this, Marshall showed me that coming on this trip had been a complete and utter mistake. I staggered out the room directly after.