Chapter 35: So Fetch

I, Hailie, and Alaina came bursting in the bathroom once we got to it.

I noticed Hailie open and reach in to pull out a stuffed plastic bag from the cabinet under the sink. I knew immediately what it was when I laid my eyes on it: it was the plastic bag full of contraceptives we got at Kroger the other day. 

She set it on the counter top. I was about to speak when both the girls went digging around in the bag, shuffling things around, and looking at each package they pulled out, finding the right one. I looked at them both back and forth. "This has got to be a joke right now."

"Here," Hailie finally found, opening a package and placing the container in front of me. She skimmed over the directions, telling me it, setting it in front of my face. I refused this.

"Do it," Alaina urged. "It's happening. Hailie told me everything. Along with her, I approve of this."

I rubbed my temples. "Why I still talk to you I will never know."

"Come on," Hailie pushed.

"Yeah, come on. Pop those pills, girl," Alaina added.

I laughed at the sound of that. "Okay, if you two stop pressuring me." I unscrewed the lid and let a few of the pills fall into my hand. I was handed a cup from Alaina, which I poured myself tap water to gulp along with it. "Here I go, popping pills," I joked around, announcing, downing it. They clapped for me. "Let's just get out of here," I persisted when done, hoping we hadn't been to loud. I shoved them both out, following after.

We got back to Hailie's room, all gathered on her bed, back to normal. Alaina was lying on her back, fiddling with her phone beside me. I was sitting criss-cross with my back leaned against the wall, hands going through Hailie's brunette locks with her sitting, her back facing me. I was braiding her hair and playing with it, mostly. "Your hair's so soft," I complimented Hailie, working on a French braid for her.

"Aw, thanks," she said back to me. "I dyed it kind of recently. I'm surprised it's still in good condition."

"Is your natural hair color blonde?" I asked.

She nodded her head slightly. Taking a deep breath, I mumbled a comment to myself. "I kind of wish I went to college to be a hair stylist, hair dresser, even a makeup artist instead. I love Cosmetology."

"Oh, really?" that caught Hailie's attention. She turned her head a small angle to look back at me but then I scolded her lightly because she messed the braid up by that action. Her apologizing over, she asked me then, "what are you going to school for?"

"I'm pursuing a career to become a nurse," I smirked, saying.

Hailie then went on to ask me, something hitting her. "Is that why you knew so much when you took care of Whitney sick?"

A calm smile appeared on my face. "Yeah. It genuinely hurts me seeing people in pain. A part of me really wants to help others; I want to cure and treat the sick. But the courses I'm taking are so difficult. Sometimes I wish I could switch my major—maybe minor in Cosmetology."

Hailie began. "Did you do your own ombré? Because honestly, it's gorgeous on you. You have to teach me the way you do your makeup, too. And then your nails," Hailie couldn't stop. "I think being a makeup artist, hair dresser, or manicurist would suit you. You're great at it. You should do it on the side if you're passionate," she offered me her opinion.

I turned pink. "Aw, Hailie, that's just too much," I squealed. "I'd love to teach you," I smiled warmly, "but yes, I do everything myself; I've studied and looked up a bunch of tutorials on how-to in the past. I have been considering, but those are two completely different paths career-wise, you know?"

"Your hair, makeup, and nails all really are," Alaina said, only just engaging in our conversation now. She placed her phone down as she took in my features. "You know, you can always do that. Double majoring, even. Talk to your guidance counselor. I know I always had mixed thoughts on what I wanted to do," she said to me.

"True," I smiled. "I'll figure it out," I thanked Alaina.

We went into a deep conversation about school: particularly high school and college life. Alaina and I related so well with the benefits of college, like the freedom, limited homework and not having classes every day of the week; yet the parts that sucked horribly, too, like the studying needed, projects, exams and finals. Poor Hailie—me and Alaina got so caught up in our conversation we left her out since she was still in the process of finishing up her last year of high school.

But we let Hailie know to enjoy the remainder of it. After high school's over, you start brand new. It's a clean slate, a fresh start. There are moments and instances from high school that you will miss entirely; and, of course, new ones to look forward to in college. But it's important too to remember to cherish the old ones you've made with the people you shared it with all those years. You will look back at those times and wish to relive them, but can't.

Hailie understood, and thought a lot of it differently now, thanks to us. For both of these girls, I let them know I really hoped the best and much success for them on their careers, them hoping the same exact for me as well.

Once I finished Hailie's French braid, she checked it out for herself in the mirror. She expressed to me how much she loved it, going on more about those words about me being a professional of all beauty things. Alaina had to add on to that, too, them being serious. But shortly thereafter, Alaina changed the subject. "Great, my phone's being retarded. I have to go charge it anyway and check up on things. I'll be on the computer in my old room if you need me," she said, getting off of the bed.

"Leaving us so early?" I called to her.

"You fucking party pooper," Hailie joked. "It's alright. Join us when you're done if you want," Hailie offered, giggling at her.

Alaina smirked as she nodded and left the room. 

Figuring out what to do, alone now, Hailie came up with watching a movie. We came to an agreement on one, an all-time classic: Mean Girls. Hailie then got up from the bed in order to grab the DVD she owned of it. I got up as well, going to get comfortable on the floor in front of her television, patiently waiting. 

The DVD began playing and Hailie sat next to me, joining me. We talked some, mostly contemplating and discussing the old movies from the early 2000s that showed in the previews. Man, did we feel old. When the main menu came up, I got excited.

Hailie hit the play button, the movie soon starting. All throughout, we shared laughs and recited lines, laughed at scenes, cried either in happiness or sadness, and just enjoyed the company of one another in full. This movie was perfect enough, and sharing it with an amazing person made it seen even more perfect, if possible.

We stopped in the middle to go make popcorn for ourselves. We made a mess downstairs and burned the popcorn by accident. We had no clue how, either. Laughing, we threw popcorn in each other's hair and goofed the hell off. We were to continue upstairs to resume to our movie, continuing back where we left off shortly after.

I truly loved sharing this with her—and she loved sharing it with me, as well. I really was so happy though; best friends with Hailie, it felt like, with her. She felt the same, she told me. It gave me chills. She was the loveliest girl ever.