Chapter 19: Cleanin' Out My Closet

The vibrating of my phone was the first thing that woke me up the very next morning. 

I was upset; I hated to be bothered while getting rest. I reached over the nightstand and peered at the time with squinting eyes. "9:48 A.M." I unlocked my phone next to discover I'd received one new message. I immediately sat up. I opened the message and read it.

"Hey I'm sorry I didnt get your last msg till now. I turned my phone off after I sent that. I thought you went to bed already haha. That's fun to hear you went clubbing. And I think I might be free later today and also on the weekend if you wanted to get together."

I smiled—it was from Nate. I was thankful he got back to me. Now, I could let him know about Marshall. He didn't mention anything so I figured they haven't spoken yet about me. I didn't want to wait. I went ahead and starting typing fast.

"Don't worry Nate, it's cool. Oh and I might be free today but I'm not sure, I might still have plans with my dad later...this weekend I should be all free. But hey, there's something I need to tell you! You'll be surprised out of your mind after you hear this."

I was fully awake by now. I got up and went to brush my teeth, then came back, turning the TV on. It had been ten minutes and I still hadn't heard back from him. I was dying from anticipation. I flipped through the channels until something else came across my mind at the moment: my sister and mom. 

I should give them a quick call. Would now be okay? I didn't know if I would have time later. With the time difference, it would make it around seven now back in Cali. Elle would probably getting ready for school at this time since she starts at eight; mom probably awake, too, in order to take her. I figured I'd give it a try. I grabbed my phone and went to dial my sister's cell number. I waited for a little bit as I heard a few rings. 

I heard her on the other side shortly after. "Hello?" she started groggily.

"Hi, it's me. I just wanted to make a quick call to see how things are going," I introduced.

"Hey... I've been okay. You just woke me up. Man, I really don't want to go to school," she complained.

"That sucks," I said. "I don't blame you."

"How's Michigan?" she asked.

"Oh, my god—you won't believe it," I turned excited.

"What?" she didn't understand.

I brought my phone up close to me. "I met him!" I exclaimed.

Elle sounded puzzled on the other end. "Met him?"

"Yeah; I met Eminem!"

"...you did not," she definitely could tell I was lying; I wasn't.

I went on next about everything from the first moments at the club and riding in his car to him showing me his studio. I also told her about meeting his half-brother Nathan at the park and him showing me Marshall's mansion before everything else occurred after. 

Elle didn't know how to take it and was finding it hard to believe, but something in her could tell I was telling the truth by the tone of my voice. She began after I was done. "Wait, so he just did that for you at the club like that? That's how you got to spend time with him? And everything with Nate is true, too?"

"Yes," I confirmed.

"That's just... no way. That's so impossible. All of it!"

"I did meet him, Elle! I swear to you! I'll send you a postcard with his autograph on it and even take pics or call you again later with him. I really wish you were here to experience it, too," I said to her.

"Lucky! That's so awesome... I want to be there," I heard her whine. "Ah, I have to get ready now, though. I don't want to be late for school," she grumbled.

"Okay. Is Mom there? Can I talk to her for a little?" I asked timidly.

"Oh, sure. She, um, hasn't been in the best mood lately," she warned.

I sighed. "I know. She never is." I waited on the phone for a few seconds as Elle went to go get our mother. I felt a "buzz" right then that my phone had let off. It must have been a text. I decided to wait until the call was over to check it.

I heard my mother's voice on the other end of the phone right afterward. "Hello?"

"Mom... it's me," I began.

"How are you?" she spoke lazily.

"I'm alright. I'm at Michigan now," I said.

"I heard... with your father," she said, unconcerned.

"Mhm. It's been fun."

"Uh-huh. What were you and Elle going about earlier? I heard it from the other room. Much too loud for being in the morning," she fussed.

I gulped. "...you don't want to know."

"Why not? Tell me," she demanded.

I groaned. "Fine. I met someone here. Elle and I are huge fans of this person. You know Eminem?"

"Yeah, I do, and you very well know I don't like him. He's a bad influence and sings horrible music. I hate it. He's trash. I do not know what you see in him and why you continue to waste your life and time on shit like him."

I started getting really irritated. "Hey, you don't even know him, alright? He says those things to express himself, he's not an actual criminal or any of that. You don't even listen to the lyrics he sings or raps about: songs he dedicates to his daughters, loved ones he's lost—they aren't all cuss and drugs. He's cleaned up well and he's doing great now. He's a really good person underneath. All just because you don't happen to like that genre of music doesn't mean the guy is lousy. I don't understand why you just judge things so indirectly and have to be so close-minded," I shrieked at her.

"Enough!" she yelled back. "I don't care. Do not speak to me like that, especially over the phone. I don't want to hear another word about him ever again, do you understand? I have to go now." I heard the line click, my mom having hung up on me.

I was furious. I angrily hurled my phone onto the groundI felt tears forming in my eyes. Tears of annoyance and frustration. God, I loathed my damn mother. Why does she have to be that fucking way?

I put my head down as I heard another "buzz" come from my phone. I ignored it.