Chapter 37: Recovery

(Marshall's P.O.V.)

Twenty minutes later, I was feeling regretful as hell.

I didn't mean half the things I spit at Sal. I mostly did it out of the heat of the moment and out of spite, when I didn't intend it. Her crushed, broken face is what got to me. The scene all replayed over in the back of my mind.

But then, how do you begin to explain those pillsNo, I didn't stop and take my precious fucking time in carefully over the label, the directions, and the daily dosage. I'm not going back to that, I swore to myself. The nostalgic feeling alone of standing by myself in the bathroom with those in sight like that sent me back. I was found shaking frozen in terror it was so bad.

Alaina came in suddenly in my work room, knocking me out of my train of thought. She looked legit pissed off as she shut the door behind her, speaking. "You bitch ass," she started going off at me. Heh, yeah, I deserved it. "That was wrong what you did. You know she's been crying nonstop? Hailie and I have been trying our best to comfort her. Damn," she let out steam for herself, exhausted.

I couldn't blame her. I let out a huge sigh myself.

She started back up again. "Why do you always have to push away anything that gets close to you? This sweet, innocent girl has poured a lot out to you, why can't you seem to do the same back? Why don't you open yourself up a little for once?" she accused.

I stayed sitting at my chair, shrugging at her comment.

"What's there not to trust? Can you put in maybe just a little? If there was something she could've gotten away with, she would've done it already and ditched your sorry ass goodbye," she stated. "Keep this up, and you really will end up being alone. I don't want that for you, Uncle," she expressed her sympathy.

I looked up at her with caring, sad eyes.

"She has feelings for you. Who knows about her life at home. You heard earlier with the comment she made at the sound of her mom. What if she's suicidal?" she spoke, her voice quieter. "Do you want to be the cause of her sliting her wrists, too?" she brought back another painful memory involving Kim and I in the past.

"Fuck no," I said out loud, struck.

Alaina asked me straight out, "do you really like her in return or have you just been toying around with her?" Before I could speak, Alaina stopped me. "Don't tell me, tell Sal your answer because she needs to know the truth even if it's going to hurt."

I nodded my head to myself. "Ask her to come in; try to. I need to apologize and talk to her about everything I shot at her," I said.

Alaina spoke. "Don't be mad at me if she doesn't. She isn't in the best state right now."

I knew that well.

"I'll go and do my best, anyway," she said, about to make her way out, done with giving me an earful. Before she stepped out, she stopped herself and looked back at me. I only looked back with nervous eyes, I'll admit. "By the way, those were birth control pills you were freaking out over. We were the one to push her because we thought you two would go at it. Know that we did it for you."

Oh, shit, was all that was on my mind. Since the hearing of that, I made an oath to my girls. I'm going to change my ways, be different, and quit pushing people away. I'll accommodate myself from now on. I can't keep going on like this and making everyone miserable around me. I was going to let Sal know the truth, too: my answer and my real feelings regarding the entire situation around her.

Before Alaina finally left the room, I included one last thing at her. "Hey, Alaina? Thanks for straightening me up. It means a lot, and even if you don't hear it enough, remember that I love you like my own daughter, baby. I always have."

"I love you too, Uncle. I know," she told me, sincerely. "And I try."