Chapter 38: Aftermath

I was lying in a ball on Hailie's bed letting out my tears.

I was so angered, frustrated, hurt, just everything. Hailie was stroking my back the entire time as we sat on her bed. "That was such a dick ass move on my dad's part, I'm sorry..." Hailie was soothing. I didn't say anything. Hailie didn't mind that I wasn't either.

For the most part, my scene was over when Alaina stepped back into Hailie's room some time later. She had gone to speak to Marshall in private, being mad herself over what she heard I explain to her and to Hailie about Marshall and my's disagreement. I glanced up, wanting to know how it went.

Alaina started slowly at he, going to sit at the edge of the bed beside us. "He deeply regrets what he did. He wants to speak to you in private."

I stated, angrily. "I don't."

Alaina sighed. "I understand, but please; he knows he fucked up. You don't have to forgive him, or say anything, just hear him out."

I inhaled deeply. I looked from Alaina to Hailie and back, them giving me kind looks to go for it, a pleading look in their eyes. I eventually nodded. They told me they'll be here for me no matter what happens. I thanked them gratefully.

I made my way out. Walking step by step, I inched closer to his office. I stood outside the door for a few seconds, reconsidering this. But for some reason, my "guilty conscience" within ended up deciding for me. I hated it. I opened the door and walked in.

My eyes met with Marshall's as I caught him facing forward in his chair. I immediately looked joylessly at him. I crossed my arms, leaning against the wall behind me. My eyes only narrowed at him, displeased. I wasn't hurt anymore; I was cross. I wasn't going to talk. I still had the sniffles, letting them out every now and then. My eyes were all cried out, most likely appearing worn out, tired, and red. I could tell Marshall took notice of all of it.

He was looking at me remorseful. He tried to begin, sitting uncomfortably. "Sal, I don't even know where to start," he twitched a little in between. "Listen, I didn't mean any of the shit I blasted at you. I'm like that. I got an anger problem and I'll just keep going until I feel satisfied enough which I know is sick. I'm sorry."

I rolled my eyes, whatever at that.

"And the truth is... you want to hear it, I bet?"

That caught my attention. I looked to him him wondering eyes. 

"Even though I'm afraid of admitting it, the real answer is I do like you back. You're so much more than a pretty face to me, don't listen to what I said before. I haven't felt like this for another woman in years; I never knew it would happen again. I didn't know how to handle the situation right and show it. It's new again for me, and I'm scared just as much as you are. What, are we going to start into the whole dating scene? I mean, I'm willing, if you are. No matter the age, what anyone thinks, or any outside factors that'll prevent it from happening."

I froze, baffled. I didn't know what I was feeling; part of me wanted to say yes, the other part of me was unmoved.

"I want you around and I enjoy your company," he continued, knowing I wasn't going to speak, presumably. "I got no plans of retiring soon, neither. I still got a long ways to go. I'll always be active in a way. Hip-hop would be dead and gone—it'd feel so empty without me, not trying to sound like a prima donna or nothing," he tried joking in this situation.

I chuckled only to myself, gulping in a breath. The way he was explaining himself seemed to make sense for a lot of the things we fought about earlier. I almost felt like forgiving him. He was being actually sincere. But I didn't want to give in so easily, just yet.

"I didn't mean to get angry at you for spending time with the girls. I'm glad you're doing that. I haven't seen Hailie that happy in a while. Seeing her happy makes me the fucking happiest person on earth, you know what I'm saying? I've just been feeling frustrated because my crew wants to meet up with me at the studio tomorrow morning. I got stuff I have to prepare before then."

I looked down sadly, that coming into realization to me. His voice was calming me down and making me feel better. He stated one last point, finishing it up.

"And," he said quietly, "I didn't know they were those kind of pills." 

My eyes widened.

"Fucking pills, drugs, and shit are my weakness. I got scared, man. If someone I knew started abusing, started a habit of doing them, and I was the influence to cause it, I wouldn't know what I'd do. I'd never forgive myself."

I really wanted to speak back to him. But how in the hell would I start to respond back to all of what he just told me? When I thought he was done, he went and concluded it up.

"I'd understand if you don't want to accept this apology. I wouldn't blame you; I sure as hell wouldn't. You don't got to say nothing in return but I wanted to let you know everything that's been currently on my mind all recent. You can go. I don't want you to be in my presence no more if you don't want. I'm probably already torturing you enough having you listen to me and look at my ugly face. I'm sorry about that."

I spoke aloud, surprising both him and me as well, after that. Something came to me; hit me. I said these next words and nothing else. "Your room. 3 A.M."

He looked at me puzzled. "Sorry?" he attempted for me to repeat myself.

I didn't clarify; I didn't say anything further. I just turned around and walked out of the room, leaving him there stumped.