Chapter 49: Going Through Changes

Marshall was the one driving the car. To where he was taking me escaped me; I had not the slightest idea.

It had been absolute silence; not a word spoken since the conflict on the street. I sat in the passenger seat of his vehicle, rubbing my arm repeatedly which Marshall had gripped earlier. It hurt. I stared out the window the entire time. I was agitated, distressed, and so much more.

Marshall was the one who spoke first after a while. It probably hit him that if anyone had something to say first, it should be him. Noticing my constant massaging over my arm, he looked over at me, starting with ease, speaking up about that issue firstly. "Sal, I'm sorry about doing that to your arm. I—"

"Where are we headed?" I demanded, ignoring him. Frankly, I didn't care.

"Will you let me finish apologizing?" Marshall asserted.

I furiously questioned him back, pained. "You really liked what you saw back there, huh?"

He paused, not believing this. He continued. "You're the one mad over that right now? Over everything else that just fucking happened?" Obviously, yes, I made it clear it to him. I heard him grunt frustratingly beside me, me doing so at him in return. It was silent again as the both of us sat there, letting off steam. Briefly after, Marshall decided to speak again. "I could never like them how I feel for you."

Hearing that, I repositioned myself toward him. My arms crossed, I spoke again, still feeling shattered. "Would you have helped them if they were in the same situation I was in?"

"Maybe," he started out, answering truthfully. "But I probably would've ended up dropping their asses of on the side of the road," he explained. "I wouldn't want nothing more to do with them. Not coming up with the idea to offer to take to my studio, or see them again. Even if, all I'd do it hit it and quit it. They ain't dating material, to me at least," he directed towards me.

I hesitated. "Am I then? Are we—"

Marshall filled in for me. "Well, will you officially be my girl?" he asked, eyes facing me.

I took a moment, then went ahead. "...yes," I gulped, flushing.

"Then that'll be the last time. I'm sorry. I'll be committed and quit looking at women," he made clear, however sounding a little pleased after my confirmation to him.

In a better mood, I thanked him, promising it on my side. I also brought back more from the event. "Thank you for standing up for me," I added in, "even if it got out of hand," I blew out a sigh.

"Don't mention it," Marshall looked at me, remaining content. Marshall pulled into a lot shortly after, as he continued. "Speaking from earlier, here. We made it. This was where we were headed. I wanted to finally introduce you to someone."

Looking up at the place that lied in front of us, I couldn't believe my eyes. The place Marshall decided to bring us to, "who" he wanted to introduce me to. It made sense. A place which I came to before by myself, and now, I was here at it with Marshall. 

Woodlawn Cemetery.

Coming out of the car, the two of us headed toward Proof's grave. I remembered the exact location of it, me going on and leading the way. Minutes later, Marshall and I eventually came upon it. I noticed something right away, needing to say something regarding it. "Hey," I began, eyes keeping down. "It's my rose from when I came here earlier. It's still looking as alive as ever," I commented, amazed.

Marshall agreed. "I still can't believe you did that," he said in awe. I smiled at him in return; of course I would. Marshall, taking a deep breath, began to talk to Proof right in front of us, next. "Hey, Proof. It's me. I wanted to come by and see you again. How've you been? It's... it's been a while, man."

Marshall paused briefly and began again, his voice unsteady.

"It really hasn't been the same without you. I keep telling you this, but you know I'd never have make it this far, even have come in this game if it weren't for you. It was your encouragement, your pushing, all your doing that got me to this point. Those rap battles, man, all that shit—I just wish I could've thanked you more for it before you left us. It's been nearly eight years now. Feels like it was just yesterday you were coming over like any other day. We'd just get together, listen to tracks, and then make up our own random ass shit on the spot. It didn't make sense some of it, but who the fuck cared. We enjoyed it. I really fucking miss those days with you."

Marshall stopped talking then, contemplating on in silence. I frowned as I studied him. Right then, I heard the wind howling, making leaves fall off the trees. It was getting a little cold as I leaned against Marshall, snuggling up to him close. Marshall put his arm around me then, yet unsmiling still. I rested my head against him as I held him tight.

We stood there, both of us enjoying this quiet, peaceful moment of silence.

After a while, Marshall gave my shoulder a light squeeze as he began to speak to Proof again. "There was something else I came here to do today. I wanted to introduce you to somebody, Proof," Marshall looked down at me.

I smiled lightly at Marshall, turning to the tombstone. "Hi, Proof," I simply greeted the stone in front of me, chucking. "Again."

He went on. "Ain't she beautiful? I wish you were here to see her in person. You'd really like her, man. You'd be damn proud and I know that for a fact."

I shoved him lightly after his words. The cold wind from before began picking up again. It whistled through the trees and branches, blowing my hair into my face, messing my bun up more. I wrapped my arms around me, turning to Marshall right away. "It wasn't this windy before, was it?"

Marshall began to notice it too, soon replying, "I don't think so." He noticed me standing there, quite away, shivering to myself as I blurted that. "C'mere," he said, offering his arms to me. I took it.

Him holding me for a few, me snuggling and feeling so comfortable, I heard my phone from my bag off to the side let off a sound. I apologized to Marshall, breaking contact in order to go check it. Doing so, I saw that I had received a new text message. "It's Hailie," I began to tell Marshall. "She's wondering if I was already back at the hotel. She said she's at the house now with Alaina and Nate. They're gathered to say their goodbyes and they're hoping they haven't missed me yet," I smiled, it soon turning down. "It is beginning to get late... I'll need to head back soon."

"Oh, alright. Guess we should wrap things up then?" Marshall asked, noting me.

"Yeah," I agreed, blue.

Marshall nodded his head. He looked back at Proof's grave, beginning a farewell message to him.

"We got to get going now. It was lovely seeing you again, homie. You know there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about you. Your presence will always be here if you ain't, Proof. I miss and love you. Always will. Rest in peace, Doody."

I included a farewell to Proof, too, telling him how greatly I missed him and that I would never stop being a fan. I would always remember the lives he touched and the legacy he left on the city of Detroit as well as the rest of the world. He was a legend who left us too soon. The wind continued to blow on as I said my words.

Shortly after, Marshall and I left, heading back to the car.