Chapter 27: Dirty Little Secret

Thank God cleaning up took less than a literal second.

Marshall had pulled his undergarments right up and I was formally situated as if nothing happened. However, I was still on the floor, very close to Marshall's region; almost too close for it not to be obvious. We couldn't cover it up completely in time. But, I came up with what I could in what little time I had to think.

"Whit," I immediately greeted her. "I thought I noticed chipping or something on the wall here by the bathroom. I was just pointing it out to your dad," I lied. "Turns out it was just the lighting," I gave a fake laugh.

She shrugged, giving some words, understanding. She actually fell for it. Marshall and I shared a small synchronized sigh of relief in secret.

"Hey, guys," Hailie came down to meet up with us next, speaking. "I've been texting Uncle Nate. I told him Whitney and I were at the house. He said he's on his way to see us for a while." Me already explaining to Hailie during our shopping experience about how I met Nate, we all expressed our excitement and gladness. All except Marshall. Hailie being the first to notice Marshall indifferent, even something wrong with him, she spoke up. "Are you okay?"

He was still quite obviously recovering. I spoke up for him, however, answering to Hailie. "He's getting old. I think he's losing his energy."

Hailie, Whitney, and I began laughing hard. "It's no—nothing," Marshall stumbled, a bit frustrated. "It's dope Nate's coming," he finally agreed with the rest of us.

While Hailie was preoccupied on her phone for the time being and Whitney went to do something in the kitchen, I whispered seductively to Marshall with a wink following. "Did I pass?"

I swore, doing that might've aroused him again. He didn't answer; only flipping me off, which I had no clue what he meant by that. 

We were interrupted by the doorbell afterward. Everyone, Whitney meeting back up, sprinted toward the front door, opening and greeting just who we knew it would be. "Hey," Nate said along to us, looking from person to person. "Oh, Sal, good," his eyes fell on me last. "I was afraid I missed you."

"Oh, nah," I smiled at him warmly. "I'm still here."

A hoarse cough coming from Whitney out of nowhere is what made our conversation come to a halt. We insisted Whit go back and stay in bed, take it easy. I was glad she was feeling better than ever, but I didn't want to assume she was fine yet. She still had a mild fever and the cough was still present. We all went to settle her in upstairs and wish her well.

All of us making our way back downstairs, I quickly glanced at the nearest clock—it was 1:18 P.M. My dad had said he would be back at the hotel at around two. I was having so much fun here; I didn't want to leave, it was still early. But then I haven't spent much time with my father yet, on vacation here, and oddly, I kind of missed being with him. I guess I would have to see if everyone could make time for me in their schedules later; I honestly hoped so. I wanted to spend some more time with everyone before I leave.

"Sal, do you want to go out in the backyard with us? Maybe we can play some sports together," Hailie asked, knocking me out of my thoughts; apparently the rest of them were thinking about spending some time doing something such as an activity. I was zoned out the entire time.

"Oh, sure," I told her. "Let me grab my phone in case and I'll meet you guys out," I said. I skipped all the way back to where I last set my bag and snatched my cell. Hailie and Marshall were walking out together. I saw that Nate was still at the door, waiting for me. I quickly caught up. "Nate, you didn't have to wait for me, sorry," I apologized for taking my time.

"It's fine, don't worry about it," he smiled widely. We walked out, following the two down a long pathway that led to the court. "So what happened after I left? Why does Marshall seem quiet? You guys cool?" he asked with slight concern.

When Nate asked that, I cracked up almost immediately. He looked at me startled. "We're fine. To be honest, there's something I need to confess: there may be a thing going on between us," I smiled to myself. "We've been messing around. But, why he's so silent now... I literally just gave him head," I whispered, turning red.

Nate's eyes were nearly bulging out of his head. "Oh. Oh, shit!" he began laughing now. "Damn, I didn't know it was like that between you two, but I kind of assumed it all along. Way to go, that's tight. I'm glad for you two. I'm speaking to my bro on how that was; I get it now. Makes sense," he laughed more.

I joined him, letting more chuckles out myself, flustered now. "Let's go catch up with them. Do you want to play basketball? I feel like shooting hoops. We should do teams, two against two," I wanted.

"Hell yeah, sure," he agreed wholeheartedly.

We ran, finally catching up to Marshall and Hailie in front of us. I chatted with Hailie a bit while Nate pulled Marshall aside. I noticed them talking and clowning around, Nate putting his arm around Marshall's shoulder and later fist bumping him. It was obvious what they were talking about: me. Marshall looked back, giving me a narrowed glance. Thanks a lot, Nate; blurt out everything I told you. I sighed, smiling. It didn't bother me much.

Hailie looked at me confused, asking what they were fussing about over there. I thought I'd keep this one a secret from her, too, for now: "guy stuff" was what I "assumed" to her.