Chapter 68: My Darling

When Marshall and I finally got to his room, we found ourselves both on his bed. I was on top of Marshall and things were getting very hot and heavy.

I had to draw back, gasping for air. I laughed, panting at the same time, as I spoke to him, holding him back from engulfing me more. "So this is what you wanted me to stay wide awake for, huh?"

The strangest look came across Marshall's face, as he stopped me from continuing. "No. I forgot about that. It's something different," Marshall told me, making a move to get me off. I was looking at him confused, a little crestfallen too that we broke this moment off. As Marshall propped himself up, he spoke back to me, noticing me. "Don't give me that look. Yeah, it's, um... alright. I need you to do something."

"Yeah?" I pondered.

"Get out."

I blinked. "What?"

Marshall looked amused. "I'm kidding. But no, I'm not. Can you just step outside for a few? I need to do something really quick."

I had no idea what he was trying to do. But I followed his directions, nodding my head. "Uh, okay," I said, hopping off of the bed. I walked out of the room, bemused.

"Aw, you're actually listening." Marshall followed me all the way until I was stepping back outside in the hallway. Marshall smiled at me a few seconds. Then, all of a sudden, he slammed the door in my face. "And stay out!"  I heard clicking sounds next as Marshall had gone and locked the door. What the hell? That action almost got me infuriated; but I could tell, Marshall was just joking by this. I stood there quiet, for however long he took, doing whatever thing he was doing.

Fifteen minutes had passed. My back was leaning against the door as I was waiting still. My eyes were closed, resting them for the meanwhile, when I felt the door creak open. It made me jolt. I looked back to catch Marshall there. "Finally," I sighed. Something stopped me. "What's that sound?"

"You can come in now," Marshall said to me, grinning, as he opened the door all the way for me. My mouth flew open when my eyes fell on the inside of his bedroom. It was like he gave it a complete makeover. It made sense why he wanted me to wait and why he took fifteen minutes doing so, too. The lights were dimmed inside, and there were actually scented candles everywhere. It smelled nice once I stepped foot in, like a mixture of lavender and lemongrass.

Walking in more, I noticed rose petals spread all across his bed. However, they were put together to create something. I turned my head, trying to register what it was trying to be. I laughed out loud when I figured it out. It was his backwards "E" which the petals were made to be. Marshall went to sit on the bed as I observed around me more, taking in the lovely, very romantic sight. The last thing I most noticed was the "sound" heard from earlier, which I knew now was a CD player playing music. But it wasn't romantic, sweet tunes which were sounding—it was more like his Relapse album playing.

"Come sit next to me," Marshall brought up after a while, patting the side of the bed.

I went ahead, making myself comfortable, accidentally messing up the rose pattern on the sheets. "Oh, no," I said to myself, fixing it. Marshall was telling me it was alright, to let it be. I questioned him next, though. "Why do you have Relapse playing in the background? And what is this? This doesn't make sense to me at all," I laughed. "Wanted to upgrade the atmosphere a bit?"

He let out a light laugh. He seemed a little nervous. I also took full notice that he was still in his adorable little suit and tie (as was I in my dress); we certainly did match our surroundings. He soon began to speak, snapping me out of my brief thoughts. "I thought about something for a while and I wanted to talk to you about it. Relapse: that was for shits and giggles, I don't know. But I have something I want to tell you. And I thought doing this," he motioned with his arm, "would help."

That caught my attention. "What is it? Although this is really beautiful, and such a sweet move on your part, I didn't think you had to go all out, honestly," I giggled, glancing around me once more. "But what do you have to say?" I swallowed, as my gaze fell back on him, me a little anxious myself now.

"Give me your hands," he said to me.

I paused, perplexed. "Oh, um, sure." I reached over then, giving him my two hands.

He went to make a reach for them. Once doing so, he held my hands in his, squeezing them tightly, caressing them over. "Sal..."

"Yes?" I barely got out.

Marshall looked me straight in the eyes for a few seconds, serious. Then, shortly after, he started to speak, softly. "These last, shit, how long has it been? Two and a half years, three years... they have been incredible for me; ever since the very beginning. I noticed you from a distance away at the club that night before you even knew about it. You were an angel in my eyes when I caught first glimpse. It was weird and usually, I hold myself back from getting involved. But back then, when you came up to our area and was in danger, I went with how I felt and what felt right: to help you. I saw it in your eyes and I couldn't just leave you like that. Now, all since then, I have someone who I'm lucky and glad and to call my girl. Honestly, one of the best moves I could ever pull, I think."

My eyes were glistening as my face was turning a vivid red. Staying silent, I let him go on, smiling crazily.

He continued, still caressing my hands. "The time we first spent here in Michigan together was really the best time I had in a long while. The fact that you did those things for Proof and shit at the time, too; I can never get that off my mind. And during then when you met everyone close to me for the first time: the girls, my crew, Kim; I'm happy it worked out, that you got along so well with them, even up to this day. And, man, you're honestly like the perfect woman figure to everyone in all ways. To me, my wonderful girl, to Hailie and Alaina, a best friend, Nathan, a sister, and to Whitney, you're like a mother to her. It's like you're everything that I've been waiting for, everything that I've needed all this time in my life. And I mean, I know we've suffered through a lot of shit during this but that's only natural in relationships. Plus with me being, you know, who I am. But no matter what, it seems that we always find our way back to each other. And I love that." He paused to take a breath, finishing this up with a few last sentences. "And you know, I wouldn't mind going through more shit with you—because it's with you. I can't imagine anyone else I'd rather do this with; even spending the rest of my life with."

I had exceptionally teary eyes now; I was a ball of unsettled, blissful emotion. I had to pull one of my hands away from his to wipe a tear which was running down my cheek.

I was about to speak the same exact words to him, even more so, when Marshall released our remaining holding hand to place it in his pocket, shuffling it around. He spoke up again, not allowing me to say anything; yet. He began, starting gently. "Happy New Year, baby. I want to spend this new year and countless more with you. Forever. Ride or die." He let out a small chuckle, continuing. "And that's all that I wanted to tell you. That's it. So, moving on from that... there's something I want to 'ask' you now," he wrapped up, his voice lowering as he said the last part, making a move to get off the bed. "I know I promised myself I'd never do this shit again, but..."

I gawked at him the entire time, heart pounding so loud it was all that I could hear anymore, echoing throughout my ears. As I watched Marshall, I suddenly let out the hugest shrill, gasping, as I covered my mouth with my hands, numerous tears definitely streaming down my cheeks now:

He had dropped down to one knee. And with the hand from earlier which was in his pocket, he had pulled out a small box. He went to open it, revealing the absolutely most beautiful, elegant diamond ring I'd ever seen in my life which was gently enfolded inside. Marshall, very pleased with how joyful I looked, finally asked me the one question with absolute carefulness. "Will you marry me?"

I couldn't believe this; this was the happiest I had ever felt in my whole life. This one moment right here, right now. The song which was playing in the background right now, "Bagpipes From Baghdad," should've been killing the mood, but it most definitely wasn't. In fact, it strangely only made it better. It didn't bother me one bit, or did it stop me from answering Marshall, which I exclaimed emotionally one second later with all my might.

"Yes!"