Chapter 17: Now Or Never

I swallowed hard. I had difficulty getting up out of the chair.

Right as I wobbled onto my two feet, I heard a "buzz" come from my purse which lay on the floor. I fell on the floor and dug around for it until I retrieved it, immediately reading it. "...shit."

"What is it?" Marshall watched me the entire time, coming closer. "You got to leave?"

I sighed. "Yeah. It's already reaching one. It'll take some time to get back, too. I need to start leaving. Damn it."

"Where are you staying?"

"At the Hampton Inn in Canton. I don't know how far it is from here but I can call a taxi."

"I'll take you," he offered.

"What? Marshall, you don't have to—"

"I want to. Canton from here's not even twenty minutes. Let me give you a lift back."

"...you sure?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah."

"You sure you sure?"

"Yeah, man!"

"Alright then," I laughed.

From there, I reached down to grab my entire bag and started up, heading towards the studio door. I observed Marshall behind me clean up and turn everything off behind him. I stood at the building door, smiling at him as I waited.

"Got everything?" Marshall asked me before locking the outside door.

I nodded, looking down to confirm I had my bag with everything with me. We made our way back to the car together, walking side by side. I looked up at the stars once again. They seemed to illuminate the sky even brighter than before. My jaw dropped from its beauty. It was much different than how it was in California. Michigan's skies were much broader.

"Pretty, ain't it?" Marshall said.

"It actually... really is," I spoke slowly, my eyes never leaving the painting of the stars above my head. Minutes later, we got back to the car. I told Marshall the address of the hotel, him having entered it into the GPS in his car navigation. Afterward, he turned up his Sirius Satellite Radio for us to listen to. I laughed. "You listen to your own radio channel, Shade 45?"

"What's wrong with that? It's the dopest station out there," he claimed.

"I find it funny."

"Do you listen to SiriusXM?" he asked me.

I nodded my head. "I usually listen to Hits 1, The Heat, and BPM. Yours of course, too. I love Shade 45."

"You better," he kidded. "Huh, that's your favorite type of music?" he wondered.

"Yeah, usually like pop music and hip-hop. Those are my favorite—hip-hop especially. But then I have a thing for EDM."

"EDM?" He sounded clueless.

"Yeah—electric dance music. It's really good," I encouraged.

"I see," he responded. "Maybe we'll listen to it in a few for you."

Happy, we went ahead and sat in silence for a little while as we listened to the uncensored, raw hip-hop music playing on the radio. I leaned my head against the glass, nearly falling asleep. These longs days had made me so sleepy by the end of them, especially when I rode back home at night. My eyes felt particular heavy, too. I closed them, resting them for a bit. I thought, with my eyes closed, about the events that happened: how I went to the club, met Eminem. How he showed me his recording studio. And we nearly...