Chapter 14: Baby

Eminem looked to me sympathetically as he continued driving. "Baby, look," he began.

I felt my face immediately heat up. Did he really just call me

"First, I'm sorry I kept you waiting. The club asked me along with D12 and Dre to make some live appearances, along with, you know, artists in the area. It's why I took," he apologized. "I literally just came back from touring from the Rapture but I figured I'd do it, for my fans in The D. But, anyway, you got me now, right? Maybe you'll catch me sooner or later," Eminem reassured.

"Yeah," I smiled, nodding, understanding his story. "But... why did you do that for me in the beginning?" I pondered on.

"You think I'd let some sick motherfucker get away with that? Harassing some girl by herself? Fuck no, man. Telling me you were alone, Dre pushing me that we had to go get ready, I had no choice. So I wanted you to wait and keep hidden in the car for me. And I mean, I've been around people, but you don't seem like the type to do anything like steal a car. Even if you did, well, guess I just lost a car then."

Everything fit together like a puzzle piece in my head as he described every detail. So that was what that group waswhat all happened. It made sense to me now. That was an awfully big move on his part, I thought. In absolute awe, I spoke. "That's so sweet of you," I let out, still shaken.

Em turned to look at me, studying me for a few seconds. I gulped. His eyes... they looked so menacing. Yet, kind and gentle. "Why were you by yourself tonight?"

Taking a small breath, I started explaining it to him. "I'm not from Michigan—my dad and I came here because of his business trip he has to take care of. He goes down to Ann Arbor to UM for when he needs to be there, and I come here to Detroit. I saw flyers of the event at the club and I felt I really wanted to go. I wasn't going to take my dad along, of course," I chuckled softly, "and I don't have friends around. Not really many from around home, either. I'm alone a lot of the time, but it's alright. I manage."

He replied back. "I see. It's cool you decided to come here. But, sorry to hear about that. I know that feeling. It fucking sucks."

"It is, but yeah, I know..." I said, a little saddened thinking about it.

"How old are you?" Em casually brought up. "If you don't mind me asking."

I answered slowly. "I'm nineteen... I turn twenty in May."

"Hm. Maybe that's what it was, too," he went on. "About the thing from earlier. You remind me of my daughters. I feel I want to protect you and look after you. I don't know... I sound gay as shit. You know what I mean, I hope."

A feeling of contentment overcame me, accompanied by a rush of butterflies filling my stomach. Eminem... thought that way of me? This was unbelievable. It was crazy enough I stumbled upon him like this. I felt my eyes begin to well up. I couldn't handle this. I was happy. So unbelievably happy.

"Aye... you okay?" Eminem was looking at me as I wiped a few tears falling down my cheeks.

I started to speak. "I'm fine. I just feel so happy... just getting the chance to meet you, and second, not only that but you saying how you care about me when you don't even know me. I've always admired you. You gave me happiness when I was down by just listening to your music. And the reason I came on this trip was really to be surrounded by the legacy you left here. This has been the best vacation and I'm just so grateful."

"I'm glad," he said after a while. "Just for me, huh? Don't be down no more. I'm here."

"Thank you," I sniffled, my tears coming to an end. I wondered something. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see," he answered, holding back a grin.

"Uh-huh," I began to answer him, "as long as you don't take me to the middle of nowhere and slit my throat, then, I'm good," I joked around with him.

"Maybe I will," he joked along with me.

"Hey—" I started until out of the blue, my phone vibrated. In full curiosity, I took out my phone and saw that it was a new message from an unknown number. I tapped it and read the following on my screen:

"Hey Sal, its Nate. I'm sorry for getting back to u so late. I've been busy. Don't worry, I didn't forget you."

My face instantly lit up. I was so overjoyed Nate had remembered. And now, the fact that I actually unbelievably met Eminem hit me. Should I tell Nate about this? Perhaps after he replies to me I'll let him know. I couldn't wait to tell him, oh, God, his reaction to it would be priceless. For Em... perhaps I'll keep it as a small secret for now from him. I decided to wait then, starting to plot this evil scheme in my head.

I typed the following in response:

"Aw, I'm so glad to hear from you. I'm doing fine, hope you are too. I went clubbing and it was pretty cool. I really wanna see you again before I leave Detroit!"

He began to question me, sounding a little... jealous? No, I definitely doubted that. "You got a boyfriend?"

"No," I shook my head. "I don't. I've never, actually." I tossed my phone back into my bag. "That was my friend. I thought I lost contact with them but I just got their text," I said to him.

"Wait—you've never had a boyfriend?" he asked, reflecting back.

"Yeah..." I admitted, swallowing.

Eminem blinked. "You never had a boyfriend. You serious?"

"Is that hard to believe or something?" I asked, agreeing that I didn't. It was true.

He paused briefly. "It's just, I can't see guys not being all on you. You aren't lying to me, are you?"

Blushing at first, the sound of his last words literally tore me apart. "No, I wouldn't lie! I've never had one, I swear," I stated.

"Damn. First kiss?"

I turned more red. "...what?"

"You had your first kiss yet?" he looked over at me questioningly, taking his eyes off the road.

I blushed massively. I looked away. "N—No."

There was an awkward silence between us. I looked back at him, focusing on him. He looked like he was thinking hard about something. He sat relaxed while driving, one hand on the wheel, one arm resting down beside him. Damn, that looked hot... I cleared my throat, clearly flustered, bringing up a previous matter. "I would never lie to you. Lying is just awful. Also, being unfaithful, or any of that, like what Kim did with you."

He made eye contact with me which made my heart jump. "I appreciate that."

I inhaled, quietly agreeing.

Then, Em said the words that caught me off guard yet, I was so happy to hear to them. "We're here now."