Chapter 7: Home Sweet Home

After many good, long conversations, this stranger and I had been close to our supposed "destination."

I'd been in the car with this guy (who was keeping his name a secret from me) for nearly forty minutes now. I still had no idea as to where he was driving to, but at least I'd gotten used to being in his presence. He wasn't at all what I thought when I first saw him; I was remarkably comfortable around him now. He felt like a friend I'd known for ages. We mostly talked the entire time about Eminem; it was great.

I was getting a little uneasy as we drove on, the outside appearing so isolated. Only getting more and more so as well, the further time slipped by us. I had to speak up about that. "Where are you taking me? Why aren't you telling?" I crossed my arms and glared at him, in a kidding manner.

"I said, it'd be a secret," he avoided letting me know. "You'll see when we get there. It should be less than ten minutes."

"You're taking me to the middle of nowhere. I want to know—please? It's killing me."

"No!" he protested. "We're so close. Just be patient. You'll be glad you waited," he smirked.

I groaned and fell back in the seat. I stared out the window. This was really odd. Although I felt at ease being around him, there was always a possibility he might do something funny. But, we'd been on this desolate road for ages so he would've tried something a while back if that was his intention. Hardly anyone was even out around here. And did he mention that this had to do with Eminem? It was hardly looking like it. Also, why was this guy keeping his name a secret from me? I told him mine but what was so bad with telling me his? It wasn't like I asked for his full name: just a first.

Being lost in thought, I hardly even noticed that we'd begun to slow down. I snapped back and eagerly stared out the window. We seemed to be approaching a gated house. Blinking a few more times, it actually wasn't a "house" we were coming to—the guy stopped and parked the car outside a gated mansion. I was straining in my seat belt trying to take in what was in front of me.

"Well, you coming out?" I saw him already out the car, giving me a funny look.

"Y—Yeah," I began unbuckling myself, embarrassed a bit. "Where are we?"

He looked entertained. "Come on."

Together, we walked up to where the metal security gate was as I grabbed hold of the fencing with both hands, resting my forehead against it. There was a very long driveway that led up to the mansion and there were quite a lot of steps which led up to the door of it. The mansion itself was enormous in size and appeared to have a pond among other things and giant lawn areas. It was hard to make out a lot of the yard since it was night. However, from what I could tell, it was yet exceptionally big and beautiful. I slowly lifted my head off the gate and turned to look at the man. "I'm so lost... who are you?"

He looked at me funny. "You still don't know? After all we talked about?" 

I shook my head.

"Alright, look." He began rolling the sleeves up of his jacket he had put on earlier.

I looked at him curiously as he revealed to me the tattoos on his forearms. It took a minute for me to process. However, before I knew it, I was gaping at him, completely dumbfounded. I spoke after a while, reading off what I saw. "...Nate... Kane?" 

He smiled widely, entirely amused by my realization.

I blinked once more, that hitting me greatly. "Oh, my god... you're... Nate?" Nate Kane Mathers. The man standing before me. Not just anyone, but the younger half-brother of Eminem. Taking a look at him once more, I did see the resemblance. Definitely in the eyes, the build, the face a little—it was undoubtedly him.