Chapter 21: One Two Three Surprise

Nate proceeded to ring the doorbell. 

Moments later, the door opened, revealing Marshall's tired yet strikingly handsome face. Marshall, once taking us in, stared back at us with large eyes. He appeared to be downright speechless; nothing but.

"Surprise!" both Nate and I screamed at the top of our lungs.

Us laughing and cracking up, barely even able to get the whole word out, I noticed all along Marshall staring back and forth from me to Nate. I could tell he was confused, baffled, out of it. He had to rub his eyes too to make sure this was reality he was in, I think, that being partially the reason it caused us to laugh so hard.

Marshall began to finally speak, a smile seen from the corner of his mouth after he loosened up. "How the fuck do you two know each other? Nathan, were you—were you in on this the whole time? What the hell, man?"

Nate went to explain the events that happened at the park that day: two days ago, it had been, to Marshall. From the moment he saw me by myself at the park bench to showing me the outside of this mansion that night; also, how we had texted the time in between and we set this up just this morning after the phone call Nate had with him. This coming to a realization to Marshall, he was still having a hard time digesting it all.

"That's pretty much what happened. Sal was afraid you'd get mad that she was here at your house. I told her she was welcome. But that's how it came to be. It's really crazy, huh?" Nate finished.

"Yeah. Really fucking crazy. Nah, I ain't mad," Marshall directed towards me. "I'm just recovering. I almost had a fucking heart attack."

"I told you he wouldn't be mad," Nate whispered, elbowing me.

I just rolled my eyes, smirking.

"But, hey, I do have to go out and take care of some things. I'll leave you by yourselves. I'll be back later," Nate let the both of us know.

"See you, Nate. Thank you, again," I said appreciatively.

Marshall gave Nate a hug as he took off, leaving both Marshall and I there. Him offering me to come in, I took a step into Marshall's home. I looked all around me, astonished of the place. Wow, this place was the most magnificent thing I've ever seen. I spoke as I observed around his home. "Nate was the one who came up with this idea... so I surprised you this way. See? I told you we'd meet again one way or the other," I chuckled, turning back to look at Marshall.

He shrugged. "I got to say, that was good what you guys did. Real good planning. It scared the shit out of me," he exhaled more. "Damn."

"It was good, huh?" I agreed, laughing.

He nodded along, his eyes then scanning me. "You want to sit down somewhere, make yourself at home?"

"Oh, sure," I agreed on that, going on. "I'm tired and I have no idea why... I woke up too early, maybe that's it. The last few days have been insane, too," I remarked to myself. "I'm going to go crash if you don't mind."

Marshall let out a light laugh that gave me butterflies. "Sure."

I went ahead and walked straight toward the living room, Marshall taking lead. I took a seat once in front of the couch, him going ahead and joining me. I looked all around me, taking in his place more. It honestly was impressive. Everything was so fancy and large, even the flat screen TV right in front of me which had been on.

I'll admit, it was a little awkward and embarrassing at first, but I was slowly getting used to it. I actually got more cozy as time went on. He rested his arms up on the couch backing, startling me when he started to speak. "I love your sweater. Damn, is that even the same necklace I got?"

I turned red. "Yeah, it is," I laughed, thanking him. Was he watching me the whole time I wasn't noticing? "Oh," I remembered something right away, "I still have your jacket from last night. I forgot to give it back to you," I recalled, unzipping my bag next to me in an effort to get it out.

"I don't need it. You can have it," he said casually.

I paused. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Keep it. A little something from me to you," he nearly threw me another smile.

"Aw, thanks," I stuffed it back into my bag, full of glee, my nervousness still at its high.

I observed him sitting right next to as soon as he turned his head from me to look back at the television. This was the first I'd seen him during the day. He wore black slacks, a plain white shirt, and socks. I observed his features next: his cold, blue eyes, weary, worn out face (that you could tell has been through so much) and his bright bleached hair with darkened roots which were beginning to visibly show again in the light. He looked absolutely sexy right next to me. I felt my heart pounding loudly.

He turned his attention away from the television that moment, his eyes meeting with mine. I jumped. "Can I get you anything? Water or something?" he asked.

"I'm... I'm fine, thank you. It's time for me to crash now, maybe take a little nap," I laughed aloud. "You can continue to watch your TV," I replied a little more sleepily, moving to lean my head down on the arm rest.

"Hey, here..." Marshall responded, scooting a bit and patting his right lap, offering it to me.

Feeling myself heat up in an instant, I took his offer. I let my head fall against it. I was so close to him, laying on his lap like this. I found it to be so comfortable. I snuggled up, relaxing. And soon, I felt his right arm come down and rest on top of me. 

I smiled to myself, drifting off to sleep contently.