prologue

Haphephobia (also known as aphephobia, haphophobia, hapnophobia, haptephobia, haptophobia, thixophobia) is a rare specific phobia that involves the fear of touching or of being touched. It is an acute exaggeration of the normal tendencies to protect one's personal space, expressed as a fear of contamination or invasion, and extending even to people whom its sufferers know well. [Wikipedia]

2007 // Your pov

"Come back! Hurry!", I whispered with a trembling voice. Jess ran towards me and opened one of the wardrobe's doors while holding her teddy bear in her arm. I quickly closed the door behind her and tried to stay quiet. We heard glass splattering downstairs and soon loud steps on the stairs. I tried to look into the room through the gap between the doors.The only thing we could do was to hope that he wouldn't find us.

I heard him cursing and it got louder and louder till suddenly one of the doors opened and Jess whined as she got pulled out. Her teddy bear fell down and I hugged it tightly, closing my ears and my eyes. But it didn't help.

"Stop please!", Jess cried so loud and heartbreaking. I pressed my hands on my ears even stronger while feeling tears streaming down my face. Even though I did that, I could still hear her crying and screaming for mommy. But she didn't come.

After a few minutes it has gotten quiet. At least Jess wasn't screaming anymore. Very slowly I opened my eyes and peeked through the gap. Jess lied on the floor, covering her face while sobbing. I could still feel many tears running down my cheeks as I opened the door and ran towards her. As soon as I laid my hand on her tiny head, she let out a scream.

"Sshhh... it's just me", I whispered while caressing her back.
"Where is he?", I asked quietly.
"He-... he went downstairs an-and I heard how he slammed the door shut", she sobbed quietly. "It's... okay...", I tried to comfort her, "Mommy is gonna be home soon", I continued with trembling lips and wet eyes.