-You can run, but you can't hide from fate. [Chapter 7]

CHAPTER SEVEN- You can run, but you can't hide from fate.

The next morning after one rather empty night in my apartment I was merely dressed when the doorbell was rang and hastily pulled a top on well aware I hadn’t even started on my make-up yet as I chucked my hair up into a messy bun as I peered through the peep hole. Only to see the last person I expected to be here, up and dressed at six in the morning.

“I have been summoned to collect you.”

Niall informed me as I opened the door and he wasted no time in peering inside my apartment seemingly impressed with it.

When I just looked at him he obviously felt the need to explain to me exactly what this meant.

“Of course Claire doesn’t actually know I’m here. But that’s not exactly important information because as you probably know she doesn’t really-“

“Niall, just tell me why you have to collect me.”

“Right,” He said slightly awkwardly. “We have this thing to go to and I...uh we need you.”

He informed me biting his lip and I nodded not yet decided how I felt about us being alone together again.

“As you can see I am nowhere near ready, so you will have to wait.”

“You look b… you look fine.”

He said catching himself as he offered me a small smile. I bit my lip giving a small nod as I stepped out the way for him to come in.

“I’m going to be at least half an hour, so you might as well make yourself at home.”

I suggested timidly as I began leaving him to his own devices while he inspected the contents of the living room.

“You got food?”

He asked and I smiled slightly nodding.

“The kitchen’s all yours.”

“Are you kidding me? All you have is like…healthy stuff.”

He said cringing at the word healthy. I just looked at him as he sifted through a packet of cereal bars like he did this every day.

“Eh, guess this’ll do.”

He announced bringing out two granola bars and shoving one into his pocket as he opened the other. I just shrugged.

“Have whatever you want.”

I said dismissively.

“Where’s the buttons?”

He asked referring to the remote, we had taken to calling it this last year when we were…together and he must have caught himself using something we had as a thing between us because he abruptly coughed looking to the ground.

“On the coffee table.”

I informed him leaving to go to my room before I or him said anything else stupid.

My eyes fell upon the canvas still occupying the same spot on the wall and I instantly hoped that he hadn’t seen it. I didn’t feel like explaining or rather concealing the truth of why I kept it up there, because honestly, I wasn’t one hundred per cent I knew myself. My fingers were shaky as they clasped around the picture and I brought it from the hook hugging it to my chest before squatting down to put it under the bed.

“Hey Ashley-“

He stopped when he saw me bend down on the floor and I quickly dropped the picture hoping he couldn’t see it from where he was stood.