-Feel the first time, but never let go. [Chapter 24]

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR- Feel the first time, but never let go.

As soon as the car pulled up outside the gates of the hospital car park I shoved some random notes at the driver and then thanked him quickly before thrusting the door open and slamming it behind me. The rain was pouring all around and the clouds were thick and dense, maybe a bit like how I felt inside, as I began to sprint across the car park my footsteps slapping against the wet concrete as I kicked up water with me spurting all across my clothes but that was highly irrelevant. A low and loud rumble of thunder sounded and a few seconds later a fork of lightning was piercing the clouds into one of the fields ahead. I dis-regarded all these facts as I dodged a few cars and tried to ignore the ever whirring of the sirens and blue flashing lights surrounding me as I made a final break for the hospital’s main doors.

I suppose I was kind of thankful for the torrential rain as it covered the few tears that had foolishly escaped my eyes as I ran from the car here. The reception/waiting room was bright and well lit, and seemed way to brightly coloured for a hospital. Nobody was in there apart from a sleepy receptionist flicking through some papers in a blue nursing uniform. She looked up at me as I slid my hands into my pockets and dis-regarded my bags by the door and made my way over. Pushing her glasses further up her nose she looked tired to even make the movement of her neck to look at me and she raised her eye-brows. It didn’t surprise me that the place was scarcely empty as it was either really late at night or really early in the morning, I wasn’t going to waste any time merely checking the time. Everything else was irrelevant; I just really needed to be with Ash.

“Can I help you?”

She asked flatly with absolutely no enthusiasm at all as a nurse passed by rushing through the waiting room and through some double doors behind me.

“Uh, yeah. I’m here to see Ashley Dawson?”

She sighed rolling her eyes as she turned to her computer screen and typed a few things in.

“Do you know what room she’s in?”

She questioned, still blankly.

“No.”

I replied almost instantly, hoping to speed this up a little bit.

“Do you know what wing she’s in?”

She said speaking to me like I was two or something and I needed her to pronounce her words slowly and with over-exaggerated lip movements for me to understand.

“Not a clue. Can you just ring someone or something?”

I admitted and she just looked at me through her glasses as if I had just asked her to jump up right now and fly like she had wings to the other side of the world.

“I’m working on it, sweetie. But it’s not very helpful that you don’t know anything but her name.”

I was about to protest that I knew a lot more about Ashley than just her name but then I realised we weren’t thinking of this in the same context so I kept my mouth shut concluding I needed to be nice in order to get permission and some directions to her room, or wherever she was.

“What relation are you to Miss Dawson on family terms?”

She questioned raising her eye-brows and I sighed inwardly trying not to let my frustration show.

“I’m not, we’re um not family.”

I admitted and she nodded curtly.

“Oh sorry sweetie but she’s on strict family only visits. You’ll have to wait until morning and when it’s visiting hours, she’s classed as being in a critical state and even when it’s visiting hours we’ll have to ask her permission for you to see her.”