-New Surroundings. [Chapter 9]

CHAPTER NINE- New surroundings.

Ashley’s POV:

Stirring my straw around in the thick red liquid in front of me like I somehow thought this would make it disappear I looked back up at Ellie and her serious expression.

“Well,” She said flatly but somehow filled with concern. “Spill, where were you.”

I just looked at her for a second then looked back down to the beverage in front of me and wondered how many calories were in it and how many minutes of familiar exercise it would take to work it off. This is bad.

“Nowhere.”

I repeated barely passing as a single word it was so quiet and shaky.

“You were clearly somewhere.”

She pushed and I almost rolled my eyes, although I didn’t quite have the audacity to do that. I was just tired, fed up and willing myself to be anywhere but here right now.

“What are you doing today?”

She asked moving on from the past ten minutes we had spent with her trying to get out of me where I went last night.

“Building inspection. Police interview. Fuck knows.”

I guessed aimlessly adding a curse at the end which I wasn’t even completely sure related but did I really care?

“Wow. Someone’s happy.”

“Oh yeah, this is just wonderful.”

I snapped lacing my tone with sarcasm. Something which she was all too used to.

“Right, that’s it. What’s up? It’s not just the studio thing, is it? Has something happened between you and Niall?”

“What? No, of course not.”

I probably sounded more disappointed than I wanted anyone to know but I guess again, shit happens.

“What is it then? Do I have to go and ask the guy or what?”

“No, you don’t.”

I retorted and she raised her eye-brows holding her phone out as an indication that she wasn’t afraid to ask him which I defiantly didn’t want.

“He called me last night to tell me that my apartment got trashed.”

I blurted and her eyes widened she hastily slid her phone back into her pocket and lurched back forward onto the stool opposite me and leant across the worktop towards me her mouth open.

“What?!”

“You heard me.”

“What the fuck?”

“I know.”

“What are we what the fucking about then young lady?”

My father’s deep voice pierced our uneasy conversation as he raised his eye-brows at Ellie’s curse in a joking fashion but at the same time a scolding one.

“Ash…Ashley’s New York apartment got broken into last night.”

She informed him and I slammed my head down onto the work top in despair that she had just totally spilled what I didn’t want him to know yet.

“Are you kidding?”

“Dad you know I never kid.”

She said in a somewhat desperate tone and I again, almost rolled my eyes, but didn’t. I drew in a deep breath preparing myself for either an overload of pity, scolding or anger.