-I don't. [Chapter 59]

CHAPTER FIFTY NINE- I don't.

The dress was itchy. My hair was hurting from being pulled back into such a tight half –up-half-down do and the lip-gloss was way too sticky on my lips. Luckily I had managed to escape the aftermath of the make-up and had successfully removed the revolting lip gloss and was settling with my spare transparent lip balm that was lurking in my clutch. I sighed as I rolled my gaze around the room. It was a medium sized room, but not big enough, I couldn’t put too much distance between Elise and her posy of friends and me, and that was what I wanted. The room had one window at the farthest front wall that overlooked the greenery of the gardens below. You could see the castle from the back window up the hills slightly. I had no idea how an intern at the age of seventeen could afford something so fancy, well I didn’t understand how and why an intern at the age of seventeen was getting married. But there were a lot of things I didn’t understand, so I kept my quiet.

Her posy gathered around her as they fussed with her hair and the train of her dress. Her blood red locks were piled into a high ponytail in curls cascading down her back reaching the corset tie of her dress. Which was a skin tight corset at the top and then puffed out to the floor. I still didn’t know who she was marrying, apart from that his name was Jake. I had avoided when they all chorused awh’s at any pictures on Elise’s phone. The whole morning had been chaos. Completely full of wedding drama, confusion over the cake, and every other possible thing Elsie could think of to cause chaos over. I’d tried to stay out of the way, but that wasn’t really working at some points.

“Oh my gosh, where the hell is my hair corsage? I need my freaking hair corsage!”

She squealed and the room burst into panics looking for her hair corsage. I pretended to be helpful and rolled my gaze aimlessly around the room. I was just going to be glad when this was finally all over and done with.

It took them a total of five minutes to find the hair corsage and then it didn’t fit anyway so she had to swap with Megan. And now with the disaster of a chip in Charlotte’s nail polish, I had just about had enough.

“I’m just gonna go for some air.”

I announced. I didn’t exactly get a very prominent round of replies. But I wasn’t exactly seeking one with their nasal voices. So I turned and started across the room my heels clicking against the scratchy carpet as I flung the door open and started down the corridor. I passed several pictures of weddings that had been held here on the way, all the women seemed to have big dresses and lots of make-up as they posed in front of the cake, their newlywed husband’s hands on their waists as they smiled for the camera in the midst of cutting the cake. I liked the idea of a big, celebrity style wedding, but then I didn’t. It was nice to have fancy, white, pinks, crèmes, silk, only the finest ingredients, but at the same time it all seemed too unnecessary, so complicated. It wasn’t that I liked the idea of ‘small do’s either, a wedding is a very important milestone, so obviously something medium extravagant is necessary. But I guess it’s just a matter of opinion, and personality. I didn’t doubt for a second that Elise’s would be capital pink with frills and glitter on everything, and I was right. The husband, or fiancé, I had no idea. I guess I just kind of admired him. It seemed kind of weird to me though, the way nobody knew anything about their relationship until suddenly they’re engaged. Sometimes, the word marriage doesn’t mean a lot. But in all honesty, it’s supposed to mean forever. The joining of two people in a promise of love and compassion for life forever is a long time, which is probably why I found marriage so scary. Calling it quits would never seem right to me, obviously ever since I was a little girl I had the fairy-tale dream of getting married in a big white dress and a castle. I didn’t really know what I would want now, or in the distant future, marriage was not something that I had to stress about, but sometimes it’s nice to know your options, to think about something a long time before it happens, if it ever does.