-You can take my breath away. [Chapter 39]

CHAPTER THRITY NINE- You can take my breath away.

I tugged at the hem of my dress and pulled it out at the waist. It looks better like this, baggier.  Leaning forward closer to the mirror I examined my mascara. I’d spent about twenty minutes in total on my make-up, this involved applying and re-applying for a more toned down look but I couldn’t help but know that Niall would still have something to say later however hard I tried to make it un-noticeable, so I gave up and left it in a more natural state than normal but it would still be apparent I was wearing make-up, oh well.

After practicing happy expressions in the mirror I sighed to myself. I could hear the clatter of glasses downstairs and prayed that Dad wasn’t going overboard. I could hear muffled voices as well, probably Ellie trying to talk to him. I suddenly had second thoughts about going tonight, Ellie was going to be here on her own with him, but surely she’d be okay though, right? She’ll be fine; she’s seventeen she knows how to take care of herself.

On my way down the stairs I collided with her, she was looking worried and anxious like she had been since I got here. Her blonde curls flying out everywhere and her no longer immaculate make-up smudged around her eyes, a dense black tinge nabbing it’s way out of her eye-lashes and onto her skin. Probably from rubbing her eyes, I can relate.

“Ash he’s drinking.”

She told me barely a whisper. I bit down on my lip feeling the smooth texture of the lipstick I was wearing travel onto my teeth leaving an undeniable nude pink tinge. On this thought I ran my tongue over my teeth, hopefully removing the make-up error. In her eyes she was worried, I could tell that much but she wasn’t freaking out like I would be if I was her right now, Ellie was put together, she could handle things a lot better than me.

“I know,” I told her slipping my fingers in between hers. She was surprised at first but then she gave my hand a squeeze. She rubbed her baby pink full lips together making them slightly redder. “It’s alright just stay out of the way, but if it gets bad ring me and I’ll meet you somewhere okay?”

She stared back at me her eyes widening slightly. Raising her perfectly plucked eye-brows she looked to the floor as if the plush carpet beneath our feet was the most amazing thing in the world. She looked back up now, her blue eyes meeting mine.

“Are-Are you sure? I mean you’re gonna be at a party Ashley and-“

“Of course I’m sure, look I’ve really gotta go. Don’t hesitate to ring, alright?”

“R-Right.”

She nodded and then I forced a faux smile. I wrapped my arms around her shoulders, feeling her body warm against mine as I embraced my sister for a few seconds before pulling away and looking her. She smiled at me and I forced another one back, and then I left. My father’s occupations unseen for a second time by my eyes.

-

The chilly night air was sharp as it nipped at my bare skin, lifting up strands of my hair sprayed half-up-half-down do and making my lips dryer by the second. I smoothed some lip balm over my lips and as soon as I was about to put it back into my clutch a light flicked on in the window and then the door was flung open just as I was about to start up the porch steps and there stood my boyfriend, free of all the troubles I had experienced in just the mere past hours. Smiling widely at me I could see Louis and Harry tackling each other in the hallway but I pulled my gaze back to Niall immediately caving into his hug. I could use one.

“Steady on.” He chuckled as he lifted one arm pushing the door shut behind me. The bang it made sounded through the house silencing the others slightly before they went back to their normal pre-party antics. His arm returned to my body hugging me back, due to his remark I thought maybe I was hugging him a bit too tightly so I loosened my grip but still kept my head resting on his chest his frequent heartbeat filling my ears. “What’s up with you, are you okay?”