-Just Listen. [Chapter 8]

CHAPTER EIGHT- Just Listen.

Niall’s POV:

“I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter if you don’t feed for them for like…” Louis pondered scratching his chin as he recalled his knowledge on pet care. This was really not the best of conversations we have shared in the whole time of knowing each other. “Four weeks and it’ll survive.”

“I’m sure that is abuse.”

I objected not really registering what he was saying anyway as I constantly un-locked my phone waiting for any possible texts from her.

“And?”

“It’s not nice to abuse things.”

“It’s a fish.”

He said smugly and I just rolled my eyes almost chuckling at Ashley’s seriousness about the subject of feeding her fish.

It wasn’t like this was exactly normal. Us being how we are after…everything that happened. But I guess I’m not complaining. It’s not exactly what I want, to have to hide my feelings from her but I guess I have to kinda learn to accept that this ‘civil’ friendship we’re in at the moment has boundaries. And that if I cross these boundaries then it’s likely to all come crashing down on me and we’ll be back to the square one again of not speaking or sparing each other a glance at all. And I don’t think I could do that again. I was pretty sure I was still as, if not more in love with her than when we were together but having her here just confirmed that even more and now it’s definite that I’m never truly going to get over this girl, she’s really something special. But she doesn’t love me anymore, so I guess I should move on, but how can I move on if I’m still in love with her?

“You’re a human.”

“No shit Einstein.”

“So it’d be okay to not feed you for four weeks because you ‘would survive’?”

“Do you want me to ask that question to you?”

“Go on then.”

“Is that a dare?”

He said raising his eye-brows and gasping like this was the most insane question in the world that would prove all insanity within a few words strung together on the subject of a fish.

“If you want it to be.”

“Fine. So it’d be okay to not feed you for four weeks because you ‘would survive’?”

“No,” I stated simply. “It most certainly would not.”

With that I got up flicking through the itinerary for tomorrow and deciding just how hard it would be without Ashley, not just emotionally but physically, she’s the most organised, well put together and on-top-of-everything person I know and when you get used to having someone like that to help you out every once in a while when they’re gone everything has a tendency to fall to pieces.

I almost jumped out of my skin when my phone flashed with Ashley’s name and I had to contain my happiness that she had text me as Louis was watching me curiously with a questioning look on his face.

Make sure you only feed her orange flakes, because she doesn’t like the red ones.

Is she messing with me or what? See, organisation and perfection obsessed.

What?? Ashley it’s a fish, how could you possibly know what she does and doesn’t like ?!

I just do!

You're mad, you know that ?

No, just caring.

I smiled to myself at her bluntness whenever I attempted to get humour out of something she didn’t find funny.