-Innovation and Realization. [Chapter 14]

CHAPTER FOURTEEN- Innovation and Realization.

“Open your eyes Ashley. This is the bigger picture, this is innovation my love!”

Mallory exclaimed throwing her arms into the air and flashing a winning smile for extra emphasis.

“This,” Chanel raised her eye-brows. “Is plain stupid. It’s tacky, it’s cheap and it’s-“

“You’re not being very supportive you know guys.”

Mallory was showcasing Chanel and I her new ‘job’. This, as Chanel and I had discussed when Mallory was in full on promotion mode for Bumpiest Deals on Wheels, would not last long. In fact maybe even as shorter as the last job she had which was cut short after two weeks of apparently too many poop scoping jobs and not enough cat walking time. I had tried to explain to her, that you don’t walk cats, they walk themselves. But she was not having this, fully insistent that her last cat, Dr Furball, died two years before the average life expectancy because her Mum told her she would walk him and didn’t. Resulting in severe muscle failure or as to everyone else aside from Mallory, a broken leg.

In fact, Mallory was so ‘interested’ in her new job that she had even taken to offering to work overtime and had acquired the help of me and Chanel. Using this time to promote Bumpiest Deals on Wheels instead of using the two days we had together to do something productive. Of course this, to Mallory, was productive for her as she was getting paid. Me and Chanel? Volunteers.

“Come on Ash; get into the groove of the Deals on Wheels. Buy a new hubcap, and get a pink steering wheel cover free!”

She giggled and I rolled my eyes. This has to be the most excited and enthusiastic I had seen Mallory in years when concerning the concept of work.

“You know…” She continued to sing-song. “I just think this air freshener would go great with your leather interior…”

“Mallory I don’t even use my car at the moment, it’s still in London.”

I informed her and she shrugged taking the pine and palm tree scented ball away from my face and finally putting it back on the table with the other various free-bees that she was now, failing to sell. She had the full get up of promotion. Handing out leaflets, free flashing badges, key chains, hats, and even her flashing badge had the words Hi I’m Mallory and I work for Bumpiest Deals on Wheels, wanna see how we bump? I, had tried to inform her on many occasions that this, could inform otherwise than a tacky play on words for a slowly sinking car dealership and that really, her lack of being the brightest flower in the garden was really being taken advantage of right now but she had waved me off telling me that I was too serious or something. I’m not judging Mallory because I am all to envy her motivation for such a well…un-involved job but I have a hint that the young manager, a 20 year old man named Benny, only employed her because she’s pretty and has attracted a few males with freebees that I am pretty sure weren’t only looking for the flashing badges to match her’s as their ‘freebees’.

“How much longer? I’m hungry.”

Chanel complained and Mallory frowned placing her hands on her hips creasing the no longer immaculate materiel of her red polo shirt she was required to wear.

“Guys, please just be a bit more supportive. I’m trying, okay? Look it’s alright for you, Chanel you’re at Oxford and Ashley you’re like a fashion icon getting paid thousands and I’m just trying to earn some money to get me somewhere, okay?”

Me and Chanel exchanged a considering look and she stepped forward slightly taking her best friend’s hands in here own.

“Look,” Chanel began her speech. “We know that you’re probably feeling as if you have to do something because me and Ash are, but Mallory, really, your parents are rolling in money, sweetie, you don’t have to work.”