-Un-reserved regret, concern and traumatised hope. [Chapter 23]

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE- Un-reserved regret, concern and traumatised hope.

“Well of course, that sounds like a wonderful opportunity…Yes, yes, I’m sure she’d be thrilled. Oh I know, it has been a while but I’m sure she’d love to…I will be sure to mention it to her. Yes, okay, thank you so much, we really appreciate your call, thanks, bye.”

My Mother’s chirpiness for eight in the morning triggered a certain sense of nausea in my gut. Hopefully, this business sounding call could be for Ellie, in fact, of course it was regarding Ellie. She was the only one who got wonderful opportunities at eight in the morning on an average Tuesday.

“Oh Ashley dear, morning love. Do have a seat, I have something very important to discuss with you.”

The double use of a pet name worried me even further and now, I was not so convinced that call was for Ellie. I let my expression remain impassive as I tightened my dressing gown around me and slid into the stool by the island. Staring at my mother blankly as I awaited my explanation.

“You will never guess who just called.”

She gushed and I refrained an eye-roll.

“Who?”

I questioned flatly but she didn’t seem to notice my bored tone and expression as she continued to busy herself with the clean plates and bowls on the side.

“The Secret Possessions London people!”

She exclaimed and I dropped my expression, if it could get any lower. No freaking way.

“And?”

“They want you to come in for a go-see. Isn’t that just wonderful? This is the perfect opportunity for you Ashley, you’re out of work at the moment because of the situation in New York and your exams so it would be the perfect time-filler and I’m sure you could incorporate it into your New York career and-“

“No.”

“What was that honey?”

“No. No way.”

I shook my head furiously standing up and beginning to walk away from her. I had done this so many times, just walked away, but somehow, she always found her way back to me. One petty proposition or insult after the other.

“Why ever not?”

I turned at this point; spinning on my heel I came square with her and narrowed my eyes.

“You seriously can’t understand why? Because I don’t like modelling! I don’t enjoy it; I never have, and never will. Is it really fair that I should be pushed to do something I don’t want to do?”

This question probably seemed like a trick one to her. It was always clear, that I was her daughter and she was the Mother, therefore she could tell me what to do and when, without reason, there was never any expanding, just giving or taking a little bit less to ease the feeling of not wanting to do something I held, never.

“Ashley why ever don’t you want to? Don’t be so selfish, you have the physique, the look, the face, you have a gift, Ashley. You have model looks; don’t let them go to waste.”

“Selfish? I’m selfish? Mum, the past few years I’ve done everything you ever told me to, and I never complained. I even moved my life halfway across the world and broke up with my boyfriend because you told me to. And I’m still the selfish one because I don’t wanna go to a Secret Possessions go-see?”

For a moment she just looked at me, her mouth open, ready to shoot something back at me but there was a pause, as if she was weighing out the points we had on each other.