-Force yourself through, just keep on running. [Chapter 22]

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO- Force yourself through, just keep on running.

“For good luck.”

My Father said to me the next morning sliding his car keys across the table. When I just looked between him and the keys in front of me he sighed inwardly his face softening.

“Seriously, she’s like a charm. You’ll love er’ trust me.”

“Wh-What’s wrong with my car?”

I questioned wincing slightly as I took in the cereals lined up ready for me to pick from.

“Nothing’s wrong with your car love. I just thought it’d be nice to have a bit of a change. That’s all, but if you don’t want to then…”

“No, it’s okay. Thanks, I promise I’ll be careful.”

I re-assured closing my fingers around the keys in my palm as I shoved them into my pocket forcing a smile through the nauseated feeling that was churning in my gut and I couldn’t decide whether it was nerves or hunger, I hoped it was nerves. I hated being hungry, to me, it was a sign of weakness.

“I know you will love. You always are…I’m glad you’re over your rebellious stage now.”

“Wh-When was my rebellious stage?”

I questioned furrowing my brow and drawing my eye-brows together in a confused fashion. As far as my parents had been concerned, my whole life I had never been rebellious against them. His smile dropped and he looked at me as if this should be obvious, as if I should immediately know what he was talking about.

“Well last summer wasn’t it love?”

I just looked at him. Last summer. When Niall and I were too busy falling in love with each other to care about what anyone else thought, was that really being rebellious? It wasn’t as if we weren’t allowed last year, I mean, sure towards the end my Mother had some opinions but nobody ever said we couldn’t so why was it rebellious? In my opinion, it wasn’t.

“No…Why do you say that?”

He seemed as confused as I was. Both dumbfounded by each other’s opinions and definitions of rebellious we just stared at each other, brows creased in confusion.

“Well…Your Mother seemed to think you…Changed for the worse when you were with Niall, I’m not so sure on this but I’m just glad to see that New York has re-kindled the Ashley we know and love…Speaking of Niall how is the lad? He was a nice lad, Ashley, I never did quite understand your Mother’s disliking of him, but there we go.”

He told me what I already knew, of course my Mother thought this, she lied, acted her way through the best part of our relationship, said she liked him and was happy for me when she was in fact the complete opposite. What got me was that I wasn’t even that hurt by it, as if I knew and expected it all along. Once we really began to become deadly serious about each other and it became clear we were not just a summer fling, something a lot more than a bit of lustful summer fun, she took away her mask and set out to destroy. And New York was the perfect opportunity for her, the pieces to her puzzle snapping into together finally, she got rid of me and my boyfriend at the same time. She never did like Niall, as my boyfriend, claims he was a bad influence. If anything, he was the opposite; he changed my outlook on life, made me see the simplest and smallest of things in a whole new light that was a thousand times more beautiful than how I looked at it before. He taught me so many things that you just don’t learn at school, he gave me some of the best days and nights of my life and with him I shed the best tears, laughed the best laughs and dissolved into the best kisses and shared the deepest and darkest secrets, like everything, we had our flaws but it was still perfect, an immaculate relationship. But she couldn’t see this, as far as she was concerned Niall was distracting me, leading me in the wrong direction and was too ‘child like’ to promise me a good future. I didn’t need anything but love with him to promise me a ‘good’ future, everything else was irrelevant, as long as we had each other. She was so blind to that, whether as I, was so blind to everything else, we were blinded by love.