-Regulating the silent treatment. [Chapter 58]

CHAPTER FIFITY EIGHT-  Regulating the silent treatment.

As we were marched through the building Niall kept on whispering things to me along the lines of they’re not going to do anything and it’ll be okay. He didn’t know this, I didn’t know this. But sometimes it was nice to give yourself false hope, even for a little while, to just be able to believe that things might be okay. It’s nice to convince yourself otherwise of what the situation is, that is, until the cold and bleak reality is unveiled. It’s easy to sit there and believe someone when they tell you it’s going to be okay when it’s blatant neither of you know this. What the thing was though, I didn’t understand. It wasn’t as if we were asking for anything extravagant, or anything at all. Surely this was Niall’s personal life, and if they want to separate that from his career then so be it. I’m not going to argue with that, that’s totally reasonable. But it wasn’t as if we were flaunting ourselves to the public either. For the sake of avoiding situations such as these there were never any ‘couplely’ tweets between us, yes we got pictured sometimes, but who didn’t? We never willingly exposed ourselves. It wasn’t our fault if people liked to take pictures, spark rumours, spread personal things. But it was probably going to be, but knowing Claire, it wouldn’t be Niall’s though. It would be mine.

She opened a door to what appeared to be an office and just walked in letting it swing behind her. Niall rolled his eyes and then pushed it back open taking my hand in his he pulled me in after him. It was a small room, with one window at the wall to the right of me. There was a bookshelf that was almost empty sporting a few paperbacks, some stacks of paper and some microphones. The walls were crème and had pictures of music notes and producers dotted around, each framed by a transparent glass border. There was a desk, in which Claire was moving stuff out the way of. Apparently Niall must have been here before as he immediately sat down in the left chair, following suit I sat down in the one next to his. I could practically feel Claire’s blood pressure rising as each second slipped by. If old habits really do die hard and she still has her little thing for Niall, I knew two things: The outcome wasn’t going to be good for us. And that if she tampered the verdict to her suiting then the bitch in me was coming out. Because women, if you’re feeling like playing some games with my boyfriend, then I’m more than happy to disregard to rule book.

She sighed heavily and tucked her neither straight nor wavy hair behind her ears. It just kind of flicked up at the ends. And then she carefully sat down in her desk chair and folded some papers up at this point Niall opened his mouth to speak, only a beat later something coming out.

“You know this isn’t let’s waste time and clean up the office.”

He scoffed and I refrained a smile. Claire looked up at him, and you could sear the anger flashing in her eyes. If this was called having a soft spot for Niall, I couldn’t wait to see how she was going to act towards me.

“And this isn’t going to be me being tolerant.”

Niall just shook his head sinking back into his seat and drumming his fingers on his thigh totally casual about all this. I, was not casual. But I did know that I had received enough crap about people not accepting our relationship today and I wasn’t prepared to take anymore. It was now irrelevant to me if it just made them even more devoted to terminating me as Niall’s girlfriend. I was fed up of backing down and not fighting my corner, I wasn’t only going to fight my corner; I was going to fight my whole square.

“There’s nothing to be tolerant about.”

Niall muttered. Claire raised her eye-brows and then rubbed her lips together nodding sarcastically, all while Niall just narrowed his eyes at her. I could already tell this wasn’t going to go well. Even worse if she still had her thing for him, it wasn’t exactly a secret that I got jealous, Niall knew this, the other boys knew this, my sister knew this, but did Claire know this? I suppose time will tell.