-Lifting the curtain on reality; it's the best way forward. [Chapter 50]

CHAPTER FIFTY- Lifting the curtain and reality; it's the best way forward.

Ashley’s POV:

“Stop it and eat your chips.”

I demanded rolling my eyes as I pried Niall’s hand away from my inner thigh. He smirked as he finally dropped his hand wiggling his eye-brows at me. I took a few moments to just watch him as he hungrily stuffed his chips into his mouth occasionally taking bites of his burger. This is my boyfriend. This is the boy I’m moving in with sometime soon. And I feel ridiculously lucky. It’s needless to say I’m over the events of three months ago, that’s three months ago and this is now. And right now, the present and the future is all that matters to me. It’s not as if I haven’t screwed up before, in fact I have plenty of times. Him and our future is what’s important, not our past. And I was excited for our future together, really excited. I got a certain sense of freedom as well, like I was finally breaking loose from my past and all the troubles of it and beginning to build my own life away from all the people who have let me down in the past. I had known what I wanted for a while now; and that was a proper relationship with Niall. And not just a relationship, a life together. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy and I knew there was going to be times when it would seem impossible, but as always I knew we’d get over these burdens, we always do. When having such a dysfunctional family and at the moment my parent’s marriage was screaming dysfunctional: All I’d ever wanted since I was a little girl was to stick out my family until I was a legal adult and then start building one of my own. And I wanted it to be perfect, with the boy I loved in the place I loved and the people I loved. And I think this was finally it, moving in together with Niall is something huge for me, and it’s daunting, I’ll admit it is, but it’s right. I can feel it.

I looked back across at him only to find him staring in awe at the empty space before me. I raised my eye-brows and a smile began to curl at the corner of his lips as he dragged his gaze away from it and met mine.

“You…You finished before me.”

He stammered and I nodded slowly.

“I admire your observation skills.”

I said flatly but he just continued to stare at me awe and smile. And now I was getting slightly creeped out. He carefully slid his hand across the table, his arm brushing the dirty plastic surface and then he outstretched his fingers and curled them around the various rubbish on my tray as if checking for any hidden uneaten food. He wasn’t going to find any. He picked through the empty cardboard container that was ridden with grease and salt from the chips; empty. He unfolded the wrapper my burger came in; empty. And then he opened the box that had contained my chicken nuggets; empty. He looked up at me and then grinned, his hand then moved to my face cupping it at my jawline and he leant forward pressing his lips onto mine. They were salty and sweet from his chips and the sweet chilli dip he had been smothering them in. I could see what appeared to be a lorry driver picking at a BigMac eyeing us with a scowl but for once I didn’t care. I didn’t ever seem to anymore, I guess I really have made a lot of improvements these past few months. As bad as it sounds, maybe I needed to take time out and concentrate on fixing myself, because at the moment, it really seems to be paying off and I cannot explain how happy I finally am.

Finally we pulled away but he continued to smile at me as he sunk back into his seat. Considering it was almost three in the morning there weren’t a lot of people in here, a few sleepy lorry drivers and us. But we decided to tuck ourselves away in the corner booth anyway.

“I’m so proud of you, you know.”

He told me as he devoured the remains of his burger. I leant across plucking one of his last chips and he sent me a look of warning in which response I just smiled at. In all honesty, I was actually kind of relieved that Niall finally revisited the idea of moving in together. I didn’t want to push him about it since I know he has a really busy lifestyle and all so I just waited, waited until we finally stopped this whole break thing that to be honest I was getting pretty sick of. I was planning on going back to London and finding him in two weeks’ time anyway, but he beat me to it and came to New York. And then I remembered that we hadn’t even discussed this. Since I wasn’t expecting him to turn up at all, not that I wasn’t happy that he did, I really am; it was just so unexpected. Bet management’s not gonna be very happy though.