-We need to talk. [Chapter 12]

CHAPTER TWELVE- We need to talk.

It didn’t seem like nothing.

I clutched the ripped magazine in my hand the shiny paper smelt new and was slightly damp as someone had proceeded to step on it for unknown reasons. The glossy text on the pink background contrasted as a bright yellow colour, bold, capitalised and right at the top in the centre to attract the attention of any readers or maybe just Directioners. I sucked in some air through my teeth as I closed my eyes for a few seconds wondering why my life was ridden with complication after complication just out to confuse anyone and everyone. Misleading and completely un-true were the words that sprung to mind as I read the short article in front of me the text covering the picture.

A few hours ago I had been asked a question which was almost laughable as Harry asked it but then I realised that this was anything but a joke as he handed me the glossy magazine which they had done everything in their power to hide from Claire.

“Have you got something going on with Zayn?”

That one sentence almost made me burst out into hysterics, almost. I probably would have if he hadn’t stopped the train of my absent minded laughter shoving the article at me telling me to “Read up and then explain.”

So, being the questioning and demanding person I am I took the mag from him flicking through it as I took in the most likely fake headlines about other celebrities and stopped as the title was only two sentences long but somehow incorporated my name, Zayn’s name and of course, Niall’s name.

One Direction’s Zayn Malik gets with band mate’s Niall Horan’s old toys? Ashley Dawson caught red handed alone with Zayn Malik, new and reformed romance within the band?

I muttered a few cusses under my breath before hurtling the magazine across the room. It shamefully landed in the hall just outside my door and my heart probably sunk as Niall stopped with it by his feet. I grimaced as I just watched him look around not noticing me and then slowly picked it up and his face paling as his eyes scanned the text. Then he bit his lower lip his fists balling up slightly and I cringed as his eyes fell upon me and he folded the magazine over and then leant forward chucking it back into my room so it landed on the chair by the door. Then he raised his eye-brows at me sighing inwardly and giving me a small and innocent sad shrug before walking off and closing his door behind him.

I bit down on my lip hard and then switched it to my tongue as I refused the lump that was rising in my throat. See, complication after complication and I hate it, so much. Does he actually believe it? I guess we looked pretty close when they walked in with me on top of him, but it was innocent, I’d never have anything going on with Zayn and he should know that. But then again, maybe we’ve both changed in our gap year.

“Ashley! Come down here please!”

Claire’s blunt voice called up the stairs and I sighed blinking back the tears and swallowing the lump as I took the magazine shoving it underneath my pillow. Claire could not find it, at any costs.

“Now,” She said ruffling some papers and folding them before placing them on the table. “I need you to go down to the store about half an hour from here and pick up some groceries. We’re running low and for obvious the boy’s or I can’t go. So this is your job.”

She slid me a list and I snuck an eye roll when she wasn’t looking at the long list of groceries.  I said nothing as I took the list and shoved it into my pocket opening the front door and shutting it behind me.

As I crossed the porch steps my shoes clicking against the decking I noticed the all too familiar mop of blonde hair with his hands in his pockets and his hood up as he walked along the shoreline kicking sand as he did so. I hadn’t heard him leave and wondered when he did but I shrugged it off hoping to get by un-noticed but of course that didn’t happen. He looked up at me even from the distance his eyes meeting with mine and for a moment we just looked at each other and then he looked away moving his gaze back to the sand he was walking on and keeping his head down. I tried not to be fazed as I continued in the opposite direction down the twisted narrow lane that would lead me into the high street of this place.