-Redheaded rumours. [Chapter 44]

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR- Redheaded rumours.

Niall’s POV:

I fumbled my phone in between my fingers, rolling it around on the table it slid across the ceramic surface with ease. A sudden vibration from it caught me and my thoughts off guard and pretty soon I was watching it tumble quickly through the air, covering the radius in between the table and the floor it landed with a crash onto the tiles and the battery lay astray from the rest of it.

Shit.

I cursed to myself under my breath as I leant down and to the left picking up the broken pieces from the floor. I led it down on the table in front of me and slipped the battery back in, clicking it into place it immediately flashed to life and I resumed the cover to the back, the far from immaculate white back glinting in the sunlight that was streaming through the windows.

Soon enough, the vibration returned and without even glancing at the screen I slid my thumb across it, the surface was smooth and warm- but at the same it was rough and indented – I’m not good at keeping phones in my hands, they seem to prefer the floor.

Before I could even bring it to my ear, Zayn’s voice was blaring from the speaker, puncturing the silence I had been enjoying at the back of this coffee shop. I scowled to myself as I clamped it to my ear, wondering if he wanted to speak any louder. I’d probably be chucked out for being too loud, or Zayn being too loud, after all, the volume button need a bit of tweaking.

“What?”

I snapped. Cutting him off, his end of the line fell silent as he took in the fact that I had just snapped at him and his remark was now forgotten, or at least to me it was, he could repeat it if he liked. He knew I left because I wanted an afternoon by myself. I wasn’t having a good day. After rolling out of bed at one, I missed lunch and apparently Harry was too tired to cook me anymore, so I ended up settling with a packet of Walkers that were breaching out-of-date as there was nothing else in the cupboards. So, after grumbling to myself that the shopping needed to be done I received an earful from a seemingly on edge Louis about how I should do it myself I’m so bothered. Somebody could clearly use a happy meal, although, he didn’t find it at all amusing when I told him this. Maybe Ashley’s right – he hasn’t been himself for a while.

“Huh ho, still Mr Grumpy pants I see. What crawled into your trousers?”

He asked. I rolled my eyes and then slapped a palm to my forehead as a group of teenagers began eyeing me suspiciously. I pulled my hat down further sliding down further in the booth, hoping that maybe, just maybe, they might disregard me as a lookalike. At this thought of needing something to hide behind I slid my laptop from my bag and powered it up, titling the screen up I slid down in my seat so I could just barely see over the top of it. That’ll do the trick. I re-assured myself.

“I’m not in the mood. What do you want?”

Now my laptop had fired up and was displaying the webcam picture of Ashley and I from a few weeks ago, in HD resolution and all that jazz. It wasn’t that I didn’t like swanky technology, but sometimes simpler things were so much better. But I suppose it still did the job, although I wasn’t sure what this job was – this might have been irrelevant. Not knowing what I actually turned it on for I aimlessly slid my forefinger over the tracking pad, watching the white arrow dart across the screen as I did so it highlighted the icons of my desktop as it glided over them in simple and swift movements.

“We were just wondering if you fancied going out tonight. Harry wants to find a hot girl, to get back at Faye, they’re playing games again. And so do me and Louis, Liam’s not coming, but I figured that you might want to.”