Chapter 3: The Girl from the Tube

Dan POV

"You're inviting who to dinner?" I asked uninterested, looking down at my laptop as I scrolled through tumblr.

"Our new neighbor," Phil said. "She came just this evening and I feel it would be nice to offer her some dinner. I bet she's too tired to make her own food or go out."

"She could always order something."

"Dan! I just want to be a good neighbour. So get up. I'm gonna make dinner. You do need to socialize sometimes."

"Yeah, but why now? Do you even know this girl's name?"

Phil didn't respond. I looked up at him. "Did you ask her name?" I asked again.

"No," Phil looked embarrassed, "I just forgot to."

"Phil," I groaned and facepalmed.

"Sorry," he pouted and looked at me.

"Alright, I'll get up," I sighed, "though I don't know why you're doing this. We've ignored our neighbours for years."

"I don't know. She's young. Maybe too young to live alone. We should be more social too."

I didn't respond, but headed to the mirror in the toilet to check my hair out. It was half curly having come out from the straightening I did earlier. Going shopping today in the town was exhausting. I pouted at my reflection. I re-straightened my hair. Then I headed out to the couch and moved my laptop to my room, and then straightened the pillows on the couch.

The pan sizzled as Phil fried Mexican food. I found a place on the sofa and sat, looking around to make sure the flat looked nice. The couch looked nice. The TV was off. The DVDs and games were away and organized. Good thing I cleaned yesterday.

A knock was heard on the door through the loud sizzling. I ran to get it. I opened it to see a girl who was very familiar. Then it hit me. It was the girl from the tube who sat next to me.