Chapter 18: Filming and Laziness

*Dan POV*

"Alright. So, uh, hi," Rachel mumbled slightly and chirped at the camera. "You might know me from Dan and Phil, but my name is Rachel."

She paused for a bit and then burst into laughter.

"What?" I asked.

"I sound so awkward. Can I redo it?"

"Yeah we'll edit it out," I reassured her, but honestly found nothing wrong with what she originally said.

"Hi! My name is Rachel. You might know me from Dan and Phil. But now I'm making my own videos! I've wanted to make videos for such a long time!" She smiled and then started laughing. "I sound so awkward, but whatever, honestly."

She fiddled with the bottom trim of her shirt nervously as she spoke, her eyes occasionally adverting from the camera. "I thought I'd tell you a bit about me," she grinned and then did a little happy dance, "Yay!"

"So my name is Rachel. You already knew that though. Hi, I'm unnecessarily repetitive. But yeah. I'm actually not from England, as you should tell by now. I have a lovely Californian accent," she said sarcastically.

"No offense to all my American people, but any British or Irish accent is ten times more majestic sounding. And I wish I had one. But if I tried to speak in one, everyone would be offended so I won't do that."

She was a natural, honestly. She was much better at it than I ever was starting out. She was probably as good as I was now, actually. I smiled as I watched her talk to the camera.

"I am obsessed with tea. English is my forte. I love writing. Downton Abbey's my favorite TV show. I spend an unhealthy amount of hours watching YouTube a day, and uh, I used to have pet chickens at home when I was a young person," she hunched over and pretended to act old. She returned to a normal state.

"Is it sad that that's practically all there's to me? Probably. Yeah, sorry. But there's actually more. I can't think of anything really. Uhhh okay bye!"

She vigorously waved at the camera for a while with an exaggerated smile like an emoji. After a few seconds, she glanced up at me. I got the signal and nodded and then stopped filming.

It was all silent for a few seconds when she exhaled uncomfortably and said, "Wow."

I looked over at her feelings somewhat confused and a bit concerned. I slowly approached her and sat next to her on the sofa. "What is it?" I stiffly and nervously sat.

"I just felt really stupid," she said, looking downward at her hands which she twisted together on her lap. She managed a small smile, but didn't look back up at me.

"Well that's normal," I looked at her in hope that she would look at me too. "I always feel ridiculous when I film videos," I said in hope that that was what she meant.

She did look up at me, her turquoise eyes staring back into mine, and her cheeks turning slightly red at the surface like they always did when she was embarrassed. "Did I do okay?"

What kind of question is that? You did wonderful, I wanted to say. "You did fine, don't worry," I said instead.

"If you say so," she smiled slightly, and then leaned back on the sofa, spreading out a bit. "Ugh... So lazy."

I smiled a bit, "Lazy is my middle name."

"Daniel Lazy Howell?" She laughed, closing her eyes as she sunk into pillows behind her.

"Precisely."

"Oh," she said as if realizing something.

I looked around, "What?"

"I should probably create a YouTube account."

I laughed a bit, "Just maybe."

She opened her eyes and narrowed them at the table. I followed her gaze to her laptop that was sitting there. It was silent for a bit.

"Ugh," she mumbled.

"Uh?" I said inaudibly in response.

"It's just so far," she remained buried in the sofa as she reached her arms forward. She waved them around like a child begging her mother for a toy.

"We might have the same middle name," I commented.

"Nah, my middle name is 'fail' remember?"

I laughed. "Do you want me to get your computer for you?"

"Blehhh, no," she mumbled, turning her face into a pillow. "I don't think so. You don't need to do anything for me," I heard muffled words from the sofa.

"Well too bad," I edged forward ok the sofa grabbed the computer from the tabletop, putting it gently on her lap.

She twitched in recognition of the computer on her lap and then sleepily turned her head away from the pillow. Small grooves from the fabric already left marks on her face. "What a rebel," she said sarcastically.

I looked over at her as she opened it up and started punching in her password. "Are you usually sarcastic and sassy when you're tired?"

"Usually. Mostly stress tired like now."

"Stress?"

"Filming is a bit stressful to me, I guess. YouNow is even worse."

"I'm sorry," I commented. I looked down at my knees. Is she doing all of this only for me? Does she really not like it?

"No, it's fine, really. I'll get used to it," she smiled tiredly.

Once her computer unlocked, I saw that it was open to Facebook. A face appeared on the screen. It was a slim tall guy with dirty blonde curly mostly short hair. His blue eyes were bright. He had a bright and genuine yet sarcastic smile.

I froze. Who is this guy? Why was her computer locked on this page?

I looked slowly and cautiously over at her, hopefully not showing the fear I had. But that's when I noticed her face. Her smile had transformed into a straight line. She had gone pale. Her eyes were dull, staring forward at the screen. She was silent. She didn't move.

I gulped. I cautiously opened my mouth, saying words I wasn't sure I was going to regret or not, "Who is that?"

"No one, not anyone," she said firmly, though there was an obvious shakiness in her breath.

I felt my heart drop. She didn't want to tell me who this guy was. Is he her boyfriend? Does she miss him?

"Rachel?" I said uncertainly, "I have a feeling something is bothering you. I want to help."

She looked sideways and up at me. I noticed that her eyes were wet with tears. "Alright, if you have the time."

"I have all day, really," I smiled a little bit.

"Then I'll make tea. Then we can talk about it," she stood up unevenly.

"Shouldn't I do it?" I noticed she was shaking.

"No, you're the guest," she managed a smile, "and I must thank you for the help filming somehow."

I nodded, knowing I couldn't win with that.

She had set the laptop back on the table. I searched with my eyes on the Facebook page I saw without touching the computer and scrolling down.

There was a new post that was on his timeline from an hour ago:

Michael Peterson is engaged to Emily Bates.

There were pictures of the couple kissing and holding hands.

I looked at Rachel's back as she stood alone looking down at the tea kettle, waiting for it to boil.

She stood silently. The stove was the only sound in the room.