Chapter 34: Envy

*Dan POV*

I chewed on a piece of stale bread that left an unsatisfying taste in my mouth. I could've just taken a piece of pizza when I was there, but I didn't feel like being there was a good idea.

There were just so many emotions going through my head so that I was angrily eating a peace of bread as if I was a Sim.

Phil and Rachel both were smarter than me. Phil graduated uni and Rachel was through most of it. In moments of tiredness and stress, Phil was able to cheer her up with his natural glowing personality, and I of course couldn't because I was more of an emotionally confused ball of sarcasm. Phil had this magical, perfect way of cheering people up and motivating people who needed it. Rachel needed that. I didn't have that. Phil and Rachel were just friends, so why be upset? I guess, Phil had something to offer that I didn't. That was it.

Whatever, time to go on Tumblr. I retreated into my bedroom, not wanting to feel as if someone could walk in on my bad mood. My bad mood was like a ticking time bomb. I wanted to me alone. I would get over it.

...

*Phil POV*

2:00 AM

"So do you think you've got everything down?" I looked over to my shoulder, where Rachel was bobbing her head up and down, trying not to fall asleep. I tried to keep my distance. She was Dan's girlfriend, after all. Not that leaning on someone's shoulder is considered cheating, but I wanted to be sensitive to others.

"I think so," she struggled to speak, speaking in a sort of baby-like whisper, "Well I think I learned everything I can tonight."

"Good," I said. "I'm glad."

I gently tried to push Rachel to lean up against the sofa instead of me. I then got to my feet. I decided to clean up, looking back at Rachel collapsed on the sofa.

I picked up paper plates and threw them in the bin in the kitchen and returned to the table to grab the pizza box. I opened it up, where several pieces of pizza remained.

"Rachel, did Dan ever get any pizza?"

"Hmm?" She mumbled. I looked back. Her eyes were shut and she was breathing as if she was asleep.

I tried to recall what happened earlier. Dan didn't get any pizza. He left quickly. He must've been upset.

I felt badly, wanting to apologise to Dan right away, but I couldn't yet. I looked at Rachel on the sofa and reached to the arm of the sofa and retrieved the blanket that always sat there. I held it up, allowing it to unfold as it fell open. I gently set it on her, making sure she was covered completely minus her face.

I saw her eyes open slowly and look at mine. "Thanks, Phil."

"Of course," I said, ready to walk away.

"Wait."

I paused, "What is it?"

"Tell Dan I love him and I'm sorry."

I nodded, but I didn't think I saw her realise my nod, because once I looked back at her face she was once again sleeping.

I left the flat, closing the door behind me and using the extra key I had to lock the door behind me. I then turned to unlock the door to my flat.

I looked ahead and noticed Dan wasn't on the sofa. I walked across the flat into the game room. The camera for Dan and Phil Games was in its usual spot, and the Kirby and other creative gaming pillows sat untouched on the sofa bed.

I stepped out into the hallway, "Dan?"

There was no response, and the flat stood extremely quiet.