Chapter 29: Speeches and Confessions

*Rachel POV*
I was exhausted. It was only eight at night, but Phil and I spent so much time going here and there in London that I felt dizzy from it all. I realized just how big the city was.

Phil and I sat next to each other in the back of a taxi. After spacing out forever looking out the window, I looked over at Phil. He was on his phone with a bag full of clothes on his lap.

I almost laughed, remembering as he tried on clothes and asked for my opinion of them. I felt like his boyfriend or something. No, Phil, you don't look fat. I imagined. I didn't buy anything. Living in London was expensive enough, and going to school there was pushing it.
Phil texted away, the brightness of his phone making him squint.

"Who are you talking to?" I asked him.
He didn't answer for a bit, finishing his typing. "Huh?" He asked after a while.
I laughed a bit, and repeated my question.

He hesitated, and then said, "Dan."
"Oh.. Oh," my eyes dropped to my feet.

*Phil POV*
Has she mentioned me? -Dan

No. But I don't think talking about you is a good idea. I don't want to get in between you two. I know I'm your friend, but sorry. Why don't you talk to her? -Phil

I just can't. I couldn't do it. It's pointless coming from me anyway -Dan

I couldn't respond.

I looked over at Rachel. I noticed her hands shaking. All of her was shaking. She breathed heavily.

"Rachel! Are you alright?" I panicked. What do you do in moments like this?

"Yes," she said, hardly able to talk. I knew she was lying.

"I'm sorry I mentioned Dan, I didn't want to lie, but I didn't know."

"Phil it's fine."

It wasn't fine.

Are you there? -Dan

"Dan still loves you," I blurted out. I immediately knew it was a mistake.

A pause. A long pause.

"No, he can't. Not after-" she stopped herself.

"After what?" I was stressed, torn between Rachel and Dan. I couldn't speak politely and see things intuitively.

"After," she gulped, "I'll tell you later."

We got to our building. She lead me to her flat and sat me down on the sofa. I waited, anxious and afraid for what she was going to say.

"Phil, I'm going to tell you my biggest secrete. No one knows. I know you'll disown me after I say it. It's not something nice."

I simply nodded and listened.

"Dan and I had a conflict the night of when you were in the hospital."

"I heard about that."

"Alright. Well Dan and I didn't talk after that. I really felt in the way. I just didn't belong. But I was sure something would work out overtime, maybe. But now I know nothing will. I could forgive Dan, it wasn't his fault. Things like that could be solved. But this..."

I nodded, "Yeah?"

She paced in front of the TV, clenching her hands together and staring down at the ground, "I'm just going to tell the story of how it happened the best I can. I'm telling you because I can't lie to you. I don't believe it's good to tell you but since I brought it up and you asked, I have to tell the truth.
"A few weeks ago, my friends from university invited me to a party. It was a crazy party. Loud music. Lots of drinks. You get the gist. I didn't feel comfortable. I wanted to go home, and I wish I did, because-"