Chapter 28: Phil's Londony Day

*Rachel POV*

Finally. It was a day off of school. I didn't need to see anyone. I didn't have to be reminded of the things that terrified me.

Those were the first thoughts that came to my head once I woke up. I wasn't happy, but I was relieved.

It was early, 6 AM. Sleep, which was once a pleasure, has evaded me for the last couple weeks.

Once and a while, I would close my eyes and fall back into sleep, a dizzy, exhausted sensation took over me as I felt myself twist through a whirlpool into dreams.

"I'm sorry," I pleaded, "I'm sorry."

Dan turned away, a look of shock in his eyes. He inhaled and swallowed, "How are we going to work out now?"

"Dan, I'm sorry. I've always known I wasn't good enough. Now I'm soiled. That guy, he took me and," I shakily breathed, guilty tears gathering, "It's my fault. I must've done something to make it happen."

"I can't believe you didn't tell me. You cheated on me. You are soiled. How can I respect you now?"

"I didn't want it to happen."

"But it did. And you're right. You must've made it happen."

I no longer liked sleeping.

I got up and glanced at the clock on my nightstand. It was still only 6:30 now.

I tiptoed across the cold kitchen tiles and stood further up on my toes to open the cupboards above the sink, retrieving a bowl, almost completely dropping it on the floor. I imagined it shattering everywhere, and felt lucky and relieved.

I had Weetabix, my favorite cereal. It was plain, but my favorite. I couldn't tell you why. I honestly had no idea. I drowned it in milk, and the cereal absorbed the milk immediately like a sponge. I made sure to put the milk back into the fridge.

I immediately headed to the couch, where I curled up in a blanket with my bowl of cereal. The windows up above the right and left of the TV had no light shining through. It was still dark. I felt like it was still nighttime.

I reached across the coffee table where the remote was on the far side, refusing to get up to get it, and almost spilling my cereal while straining and stretching to get ahold of it between my fingers.

I grabbed and turned it on, where I immediately started streaming my favorite show - Downton Abbey. It always comforted me to watch it. And honestly, I had watched the episodes countless times.

I watched a few episodes and suddenly it was 11 o' clock.

My phone buzzed on the coffee table, making me jump.

I unlocked the screen and saw a text message from Phil. I slid the notification across before I could see what he said. The app opened:

Hey! It's been a while. I wanted to let you know that my offer for a Londony tour still stands :D how about today? I'm free today -Phil

Sure, sounds good -Rachel

I sent the text immediately. Maybe playing the tourist would help my mind get off things, I hoped.

Awesome! :D Just come over when you're ready. -P

I got up right away and headed to the bathroom.

I jumped in the shower too soon, freaking out and almost completely slipping, jumping back from the sudden cold water. I really need to stop doing that.

The water warmed up soon, to my relief.

I started shampooing my hair, and suddenly a thought came to my mind: What if Dan was going to be there?

I panicked. But what could I do? I knew I couldn't text Phil and ask. I didn't want things to be weird. My heart beat quicker and I tried to breathe. I guess I'll just have to hope he's not there.

I tried to calm down. I wasn't doing a good job.

I dried my hair, put on my makeup, and put on a sweater and some skinny jeans. I breathed in and then out.

I knew I couldn't reassure myself in any way to become calmer or any more ready, so I decided to go.

I left the flat and walked across the hall, knocking on the door three times.

Phil opened the door. He smiled and walked outside of his flat.

"Hey! How are you?" He closed the door behind him.

"Hey," I said plainly, failing to match his enthusiasm, "I'm alright."

We walked down the stairs.

"I'm gonna show you my favorite places in town and we'll walk by some historical places too that I'll point out," he smiled shyly, "so I'm not like a super official good tour guide."

I smiled at him, "I don't mind. Actually that sounds really nice. Don't worry about it."

He smiled, looking relieved.

"So where are we going first, O tour guide?" I joked, feeling a bit better as the stress faded.

"The tube, but you've been on there plenty of times. But I'm gonna take you to a cool shopping place. There's all these really cool clothing store and souvenir things. Then we'll go to China town and then I'll take you to Cat Cafe."

I smiled. He had so much planned out and he sounded so excited about it. Phil was a really good person, and after everything, I'm glad he was my friend.