Chapter 37: The Truth

*Phil POV*

"Alright everyone," I spoke up, after we all regrouped in Dan and my flat.

Everyone turned toward me. Rachel was clinging to Dan's arm. Dan stood straight up, stiffly in some way. Mrs. Browning stood between them and me. I looked at them all, forgetting what I was going to say.

"Phil?" Dan spoke up.

I snapped to attention. "Oh! Right, sorry. Tonight we're going to one of Dan and my favourite restaurants. It's not too far, so we just have to walk."

"It should make a nice change from yesterday," Dan spoke up, looking over at Rachel's mum, smiling.

"Sure, I guess," Mrs. Browning spoke flatly.

...

*Rachel POV*

The restaurant was loud with people chattering. The room was warm with the smell of spaghetti.

"It's loud in here," my mom instantly commented, shouting over the noise.

I hoped that the noise would mean that I wouldn't have to talk to my mom, and she wouldn't have to talk to them.

Phil guided us all to the front, where a man brightly smiled at us. "Where would you like to sit tonight?"

"Wherever is fine," Phil spoke, hardly able to hear over the sound of the people.

"Somewhere quiet," my mother spoke over him.

The man nodded and said, "Follow me."

We all walked toward the right side of the restaurant. Tables got less crowded as we went along. I felt myself panic.

The man directed us with his hand to a table with four chairs, directly beside a window.

"Thank you," Phil said.

The man nodded and left.

I took my seat on one side of the table, nearest to the window. Dan sat beside me. He looked over at me and smiled a little, his eyes saying "You can do this."

I smiled in return, but hardly managing a smile.

I hoped she wouldn't say anything. I'm not sure I could deal with much more, even though I promised to be strong about it. I just want everything to be calm. I just want everyone to get along.

I looked down at my empty plate, taking a deep breath. I then looked up directly in front of me.

Phil was looking at me. His light blue eyes gazed into mine. I felt myself unable to speak, not knowing what to say in such an awkward eye contact.

"Um?" I managed. Smooth.

"Huh?" Dan said. From the corner of my eye I saw him looking at me, and then at Phil.

"Nothing," Phil said, grabbing his silverware and unwinding the napkin (the American word napkin, not talking about pads here. Shush.), leaving his silverware on the table and spreading the 'serviette' on his lap.

I decided to do the same. Dan and I copied Phil's properness. My mom, of course, already had the 'serviette' on her lap.

There was an awkward silence and a tension in the air. I didn't like it.

"How was your day, Mrs. Browning?" Dan said, breaking the tension. Thank you thank you thank you.

"It was good," she said to my surprise, I looked up from my lap. "Phil showed me some things I hadn't seen in London before. It was nice to know I hadn't all seen in before."