CHAPTER FOUR: Promises

The sound of one person eating was the only sound in the large dining room other than sheer silence. Izuku placed his bowl down and chugged down on some water.

"So how was school today? Tenko told me that you met that Bakugo kid again." Izuku's father started up a conversation. Izuku chuckled.

"Yeah. He's actually in the same class as me and was first in the Entrance Exam. Heard that he took down a 0-pointer and got huge rescue points for saving the girl, Ochaco. Speaking of Ochaco, she and an Iida, Tenya, became my new friends at school." Izuku proudly told his father.

"That's good." His father only commented. Izuku smiled but then the mirth in it faded away. He looked straight at the camera of the laptop that he was talking to.

"What's wrong, Izuku?" His father asked. Izuku's eyes watered.

"When are you coming back? It's been six years. I really miss you, so much." Izuku said as tears started streaming down his cheeks.

"Izuku... I promise I'll be home soon." His father reassured him.

"But you've been saying that since five years ago!" Izuku stood up, pushing his chair back and disturbing the china on the table.

"I just... I just want us to be together again... you, me, and Tenko." Izuku continued to cry. Hisashi let a few seconds pass before he said something.

"I promise, I'll be home within this year. I promise."

"Really?" Izuku wiped the tears on his face.

"Yes." Hisashi answered his son's question. Izuku heard the sincerity in his father's voice and sat back down.

"I'm sorry for my outburst." Izuku apologized.

"It's okay." 

That was when one of their maids entered the room with dessert. She placed the bowl in front of Izuku and took the china Izuku had finished eating on.

---

"I am..."

The students of Class 1-A all looked up to the door, curious as to who said that. Wait, that's--

"Entering the door like a normal person!" A tall and well-built blonde with very sharp features entered the room. The entire class--save for a few moody ones-- beamed, "ALL MIGHT!"

Izuku, especially, beamed. It's All Might! It's actually All Might! He was ecstatic to see his idol since 5 years old. On instinct, he stood up and walked toward his idol. With journal in hand, he bowed and reached out, "Would you sign this for me?"

The whole class was silent for a moment then everyone laughed. Izuku stood straight and hugged his notebook. He started to blush. He was just so excited to finally meet his idol! That the only thing in his head was to get him to sign his Quirk Analysis Journal. His body just went on autopilot.

"Can I see that, my boy?" All Might asked. The whole class quieted down. Then Izuku handed over his journal to the pro hero. Toshinori looked at it. It was a hard cover journal. Nothing else to note other than 'Quirk Analysis' written on the cover. He flipped to a few pages reading some parts as he did.

They were incredibly thorough analyses. It contained the name of the hero, their Quirk's name, the advantages and disadvantages of their Quirks, and even had sections elaborating different ways to defeat the Quirks. That last part sent shivers up Toshinori's spine but he fought to keep his ever present smile. If this boy is really his son--

Finally, Toshinori arrived on the page that was yet to be written on and signed it. He handed it back after that. And he saw the boy just... beamed. Beamed like a child getting a special present on their birthday.

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been a fan since I was five! And this is just so important to me!" The green-haired boy was visibly ecstatic at the pro heroes actions which made Toshinori feel bad. Still he kept that iconic smile of his on.

He only took the notebook to see what was inside, if there was anything incriminating in it--which on second thought, no one would hand over such notebook to a pro hero-- it made him feel bad because the boy's joy was sincere. It wasn't a fake one, Toshinori could just tell.

"I will be your teacher for your Foundational Hero Studies. A subject unique to Hero Studies." All Might explained. The students looked over at the walls as segments protruded from it. "As this is a Hero subject, I expect all of you to wear your hero outfits."

---

Izuku had been designing his outfit since he was 5. He'd been adjusting it to the Quirk combos he's thought of and his dad taught him ever since. It's so exciting for him to finally wear it for his Hero Studies.

He actually had so many design drafts that he really liked that his father disapproved of. One of those designs was actually a light green costume, but Hisashi suggested he use a darker hue of green instead.

"Izuku?" He looked to the girl who called his name. It was Ochaco.

"That's an interesting design. You look like a bunny." The girl commented which hurt something inside Izuku. The tufts aren't supposed to be ears...

Izuku suddenly remembered the first time he had shown his first draft to his brother.

"Those are supposed to look like All Might's hairstyle?" Tenko couldn't stop laughing. "I thought they were bunny ears!" He wiped the tear that was forming in the corner of his eye as the young Izuku pouted angrily at his older brother.

"Izuku?" Ochaco's voice snapped Izuku out of his flashback.

"Uh... it's supposed to look like All Might's hairstyle..." Izuku chuckled as he nervously corrected his classmate.

"Gather round, boys and girls." The whole class listened keenly in respect for the no. 1 Hero. What followed is All Might explaining the setup of their first class of Foundational Hero Studies, a battle trial. The students will be grouped into two through lottery, except for one group who will have three members due to a particular sour grape getting expelled yesterday. Two pairs will face off against one another, with one Hero group and one Villain group. The battle will be indoors as, according to All Might, it is the most common type of battle between heroes and villains.

Izuku was paired with Eijiro Kirishima as the hero team, against Momo Yaoyorozu and Fumikage Tokoyami. They're going first.

Izuku didn't wait to start formulating a battle plan.

---

NOTES: I just realized that I forgot to mention that Mineta was expelled last chapter so I squeezed it in here.