CHAPTER NINETY-SEVEN: Wager

"Midoriya! Bakugo! Those are really nice hero costumes!" Mirio beamed at his juniors.

Mirio's been excited at the thought of having juniors, but having TWO juniors?! He's just ecstatic!

Izuku smiled at his senior, "Thank you, senpai! Your hero costume also looks nice!" He returned the compliment before going on a mumblefest regarding how Mirio's costume worked.

Katsuki just stood there with a slight smile on his face, glad that Izuku seemed to have turned back to his normal self after the call with his brother.

Izuku's brother... Katsuki suddenly remembered.

Even now, he still remembers the glares he received from that guy five years ago. As a kid, he really thought he was going to die. He will never forget the first time he learned what it felt to fear death--as stupid as it sounds to be scared of someone Quirkless.

He still shudders whenever he remembers that day.

Bullying Izuku was a mistake. Katsuki thought.

-

"Bakugo will be patrolling with Mirio, and Midoriya will be coming with me."

Katsuki's eyes went wide at the Pro Hero's words, and he immediately turned his head toward his classmate who looked horrified to hear that.

"No--"

Mirai cut off Katsuki's attempt to object by asking the greenet, "Is that fine with you, Midoriya?"

Izuku gulped. He didn't want to be alone with Sir Nighteye, not at all, but...

The greenet forced a smile and reluctantly answered, "Y-yes, sir, I'm fine with that."

Katsuki furrowed his brows at the greenet in concern, but Izuku simply gave him a look that tried to assure the sandy blond that he'd be fine.

Then an arm hung around the sandy blond as they cheerfully said, "Well, Bakugo, look's like you'll be coming with me today. Don't worry I'll tell you everything you need to know!"

Katsuki looked over to his senior to find him beaming.

"I expect as much." Mirai remarked.

Then he turned his attention to Izuku and placed his hand on the greenet's head, making the latter wince as he activated Foresight.

Mirai narrowed his eyes before turning to Mirio and Katsuki to send the two of them off, leaving him and Izuku together. Mirai sneaked a peek at the greenet to find him rubbing his arms.

"Let's be off?" Mirai suddenly asked, making the kid with him almost jump.

Izuku forced a smile and answered, "Y-yes, sir."

-

Only ten more minutes before their mostly peaceful patrol for the day ends. But it was because of this peaceful patrol that every now and then, Izuku would find his companion's gaze locked on the back of his head. At first, he didn't mind but it became distracting and uncomfortable after some time, which is why--

"You keep on rubbing your arms, why is that?" Nighteye suddenly brought it up.

Izuku was taken back by the former's observation, because he didn't even notice that he was rubbing his arms.

"I... I don't know, I just started doing it recently." Izuku answered.

"Really?" Mirai replied before he asked another thing he noted about the greenet, "I also noticed that you recently stopped using your arms in battle, am I correct?"

"Y-yes, that's right." Izuku sheepishly answered.

"And why's that?" Mirai followed with another question.

Izuku gulped then he answered, "T-the doctors warned me that if I continued to use my Quirk like I did, I might lose my arms. So I stopped, and changed my fighting style."

Then reluctantly, he added, "I also didn't want to be associated with that villain."

Mirai raised his brows, a little amused by the greenet's answer, "You say that even though he's your father."

Izuku suddenly stopped in his tracks and tried to rebuke Mirai's statement, "H-he's not... All for One's in prison... Dad can't be him. He just can't be..."

Izuku clenched his fists as tears formed in his eyes. It's just impossible...

"Yeah. Sure, kid." Mirai smugly told him, making the greenet grimace.

"He's not--"

"How about we have a bet?" Mirai suddenly proposed an idea as he walked to Izuku's side, making the latter look up at him.

"What do you mean?" Izuku asked Nighteye.

"If I end up dead after the next few days, if you suddenly stop appearing in my agency, and if you suddenly leave UA, if any one of these scenarios happen, then your father really is All for One." Nighteye told him.

"If you really insist that your father wasn't the villain at Kamino, then do your best to prove it."

Izuku's eyes widened at the words of the man before him, and he was left speechless.

Nighteye narrowed his eyes at the picture before patting Izuku's shoulder and telling the greenet, "Say hello to daddy for me."

---

NOTES: Nighteye's Quirk is messing with my author powers. I hate it.

Well, anyway, don't expect another update anytime soon, since I am still well in that break. But rest assured, I have mostly figured out this arc!

I think.