CHAPTER NINETY-THREE: Katsuki

NOTES: Fun fact, the last chapter came about because I was feeling really, REALLY petty about one comment.

---

After Mirio and a shaken Izuku left, the room was filled with tense silence, only broken once after Mirai pushed his chair back so he could stand up and stare down at the sandy blond.

Katsuki didn't falter under the Pro Hero's glare but he knew he had to be subservient.

"Katsuki Bakugo." Mirai said his full name, "What's so special about you that All Might picked you to become One for All's successor?"

Katsuki's eyes went wide, "Y-you know about One for All?!"

"Of course. I was All Might's sidekick after all. I was the brains behind our crackdown on All for One six years ago. And I'm the one who suggested Mirio to become One for All's ninth successor."

Katsuki was taken a back by that last statement, "Mirio-senpai... was supposed to be All Might's successor...?"

"Why not? He's the perfect successor for All Might, after all. His presence is impressive and his smile cannot be exterminated, he fits the bill for All Might's criteria for the Symbol of Peace, doesn't he?"

Katsuki gulped.

"Which is why I can't fathom why All Might would choose the likes of you, someone who doesn't even come close to these criteria." Mirai glared at the boy. The latter winced.

"You, who was known to be a crude, arrogant, short-tempered, and aggressive person. A pompous brat who'd shove down anyone who was a threat to your being number one. If I didn't know better, you probably accepted All Might's offer because it will give you the boost in power you'll need to keep the top spot."

Mirai gritted his teeth, "Unforgiveable! One for All is 'one' Quirk meant for 'all'. A Quirk meant to be used for the betterment of the majority, and you'd dare use it to further your own goals?! Absolutely unforgiveable!"

Katsuki winced.

"You wish to conduct your hero work studies here? Fine! I'll accept you! But I'll make sure that at the end of the month, after we're finished, I'll have you pass One for All to Mirio, All Might's rightful successor!" Mirai declared.

Katsuki remained quiet for a few seconds, his head lowered that his hair was covering his eyes.

He remained unresponsive for about ten seconds before he took a deep breath and looked up at his master's ex-sidekick with the fury in his eyes that hasn't appeared for months, catching Mirai off guard.

"Hey..." Katsuki said in a low growl, "Could it be you treated that Deku like this before me and Mirio-senpai arrived?"

"What?" Mirai could only exclaim.

"That Deku... he wasn't smiling when he left. He looked messed up and his eyes were blank. The only times I've seen him with that kind of look on his face are the times when absolute disaster struck him. The smile on his face wouldn't falter for the little things, that's why everyone in class likes him and he always manages to cheer them up."

"To completely remove his smile," Katsuki glared at the Pro Hero. "You must've done something absolutely horrible to him."

Katsuki clenched his fists.

I've wronged many people in my life, including that Deku. Katsuki pondered. Maybe I won't be able to make it up to every one of them, but if I can make it up to at least a few of them, starting with defending Izuku, then maybe this heaviness in my heart will lighten, even just a little.

Mirai stood there dumbfounded, not able to find the rights words to retort.

"I'll conduct my work studies here like planned, but I assure you and this, I say as All Might's successor!" Katsuki placed his fist on his chest then declared, "I WON'T GIVE UP ONE FOR ALL AND I WILL BECOME THE NEXT SYMBOL OF PEACE!"

-

Izuku watched water flow down from the faucet with blank eyes. The sound of the water echoed and filled the small space as he let the water on his face drip down onto the sink.

"...kill him..."

He could still hear their faint voices.

Izuku splashed his face with water again, and then he buried his face into his hands. He took a few deep breaths to calm his nerves, not that he was already as calm as he could be. He just wanted to focus on his breathing, and push back the thoughts of the ghosts.

After one last deep breath, he took out a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped his face before going out of the restroom.

He rejoined with Mirio who was chatting with Bubble Girl, exactly as Katsuki arrived.

"So Bakugo, how'd it go?" Mirio asked the sandy blond.

Katsuki gave a slight proud smile, "It went well."

"Yes!" Mirio cheered, "Now, I have two coworkers I can call my juniors!"

"His presence is impressive and his smile cannot be exterminated." Katsuki remembered Sir Nighteye's words, and immediately, his smile was erased as he turned his attention on the greenet with them who had a neutral expression.

Katsuki frowned, In that case, shouldn't he also be a great candidate? That guy was full of bullshit.

Izuku noticed that Katsuki was looking at him with a concerned look, and he immediately wore a bright smile on his face to remove the latter's worries, "Isn't that fun, Katsuki? We get to intern at the same agency."

Katsuki was taken a back by the greenet's smile, Geez, that's a really fake smile, Deku. Your eyes aren't smiling, you idiot.

"Uh... yeah. Let's look out for each other." Katsuki could only reply. Izuku's eyes smiled a bit.

"Well then," Izuku suddenly said, "I'm heading back to school. Do you want a ride, Katsuki?"

Katsuki was surprised, "Really? Is it okay? What about Mirio-senpai?"

"Ah, my shift actually begins in thirty minutes. You can go ride back with Izuku." Mirio told them.

"Okay. Thank you for accompanying me here, senpai." Katsuki thanked Mirio.

"My pleasure!"

---