CHAPTER NINETY: Permeation

NOTES: Disclaimer: I ain't a scientist.

Also, can you tell I'm using a PC with how long these paragraphs are? Using a PC's fun. ^^

---

The rest of 1-A started to recover a bit, and they started standing up one by one. Meanwhile, Izuku was stayed sitting on the ground with his hands covering his face. Thought Acceleration has a one minute time limit, afterwards, I get disoriented. I should choose when to use it wisely.

"Are you alright, Midoriya? I didn't hit you too hard, did I?" Izuku heard someone ask. Izuku removed his hands to find someone else's hand reached out to him, offering to help him up.

(a/n: I swear if I get a 'Izuku chopped off his hand' comment like at the Sports Festival--)

My sight's still a little blurry. Izuku thought, then he accepted the hand with a smile, "No. I'm fine, just a little disoriented from something else."

"Oh, good!" The person, who Izuku assumes from the voice is Mirio, sounded genuinely glad.

"But still, to think you'd be able to catch up to me... I knew you're pretty good, but I didn't know you were that good. When I was a first year, I still had a lot of trouble controlling my Quirk." Mirio told him, before the former then referred to the rest of the first years.

"Everyone! I'm sorry if I was a little rough! Do you guys think my Quirk is strong?" Mirio asked them to which most agreed.

"Of course, it is!"

"You got us in one hit, man! One hit!"

"Izuku was the only one who had a chance and even you beat him!"

"What the hell was that teleporting you did? Do you have two Quirks?"

Mirio smiled at that last question.

"If you guys really wanna know the 'secret' of my Quirk, then I'll let Midoriya explain what it is, seeing that he was able to understand my Quirk and fighting style in such a short time." Said Mirio, causing the whole of the gym to look towards the greenet.

The greenet, however, who's been focusing on recovering his blurry eyesight, didn't realize this, and stood there staring straight into space.

When his senior's words finally registered on his mind, he immediately became flustered, "M-me?! But I-- but I still lost!"

"Come on, Midoriya. After keeping up with me, you deserve some kind of reward." Mirio told the greenet, and a slightly audible scoff could be heard from a certain psychopathic blond, but most didn't pay any attention to it.

Izuku smiled and thanked Mirio, "Thank you, senpai!"

He then looked back to his fellow first years, his sight mostly recovered by this time, then began explaining, "Mirio-senpai doesn't have two Quirks. In fact, in the Sports Festival last year, it was explicitly said by Present Mic that he only has the Quirk Permeation."

Ah. So that's how he was able to make accurate assumptions about my Quirk. Mirio said in his mind.

"As for the 'teleporting', it was simply an impressive show of ingenuity in the use of his Quirk." Izuku stated, capturing Tamaki's attention and catching Mirio by surprise with the words the greenet used.

"By default, every object is surrounded by its own type of force field that repels another object. That's how we can 'touch' something and not just pass through it even though we're 99% space. Mirio-senpai's Quirk allows him to switch off the 'force field' surrounding his body, letting him phase through surfaces. The moment he deactivates his Quirk while still inside an object, his force field and the object's force field clash, resulting in Senpai getting repelled, like two alike poles of a magnet." Izuku was able to explain in a confident manner.

Then he immediately backtracked and became flustered, "I-I mean, my Dad and I like to talk about Quirks, and this was how my Dad said he would effectively use Permeation if he had the Quirk since it's a mostly tricky Quirk to have so--"

Mirio chuckled then he told Izuku, "Thank you for the explanation, Izuku. I'll take over from here."

Izuku bowed his head then walked over to his classmates.

"Izuku's explanation is spot on, especially the part about my Quirk being tricky to use. While my Quirk seems like strong Quirk, the truth is, it's actually difficult to use. When I use my Quirk, I pass through everything, including air, sound, and light. Even the 'simple' act of passing through a wall has many steps I have to be mindful of." Mirio explained.

"I mentioned to Izuku a while ago, that back when I was a first year, I still had difficulty with my Quirk. Actually, even last year, I wasn't someone to be taken note of-- I was actually surprised when Izuku said he remembered me from last year's Sports Festival, and maybe a little flattered." Mirio said while scratching the back of his head, then he went back on track.

"But that's where the Hero Work-Studies came in. It was during my work studies that I was able to get as strong as I am now. This whole demo was to show you first years the results I gained." Mirio explained, then Shota stepped forward to give more information about the said program.

"In contrast to your Internships last semester where you were considered as guests, in Hero Work-Studies, you will be expected to work like an actual hero. Do patrols, save civilians, defeat villains, and work with the authorities. Through work studies, you gain actual experience." Shota explained.

Then Momo raised her hand to ask a question, "Sensei, you compared it to the Internships we took last semester, does this mean similar to that, we'll be scouted by hero agencies?"

"Good question, Yaoyorozu. And no. That used to be the case, however, due to agencies often fighting over the same top students, it was changed so that it would be the students who will have to apply to a hero agency. For your work studies, you will have to use the connections you've made in your Internships to get into an agency." Shota explained.

Then Sekijiro interjected, "Normally, students may conduct work studies at any agency, however, due to the recent crime hike, only agencies with good track records will be allowed to take in you first years, so there's a chance that only a few of you will be able to undertake it."

1-A and 1-B sounded a little disappointed upon hearing that, but one man felt relieved.

It would be for the best, isn't that right... Oboro?

---

NOTES: Anime-onlys have no idea who the fuck Oboro is~ XDD *insert crazy Monoma laugh*

...until the end of Season 5 or beginning of Season 6, maybe.